Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a safe way to change an award ticket by phone without risking losing space?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a safe way to change an award ticket by phone without risking losing space?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I'm in the middle of a trip and considering trying to replace CTU-SIN-BKK-MUC-BOS with CTU-SIN-BKK (all same), BKK-NRT-ORD.

I'm unclear whether agents will be okay with this and the current award space BKK-MUC-BOS is no longer available.

Is there a safe way to phone this in, or is the act of attempting to price the change going to irretrievably lose the old space even if an agent is unable/unwilling to price the change? Trying to decide whether this is too risky to be worthwhile.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Shouldn't be a problem. They don't have to drop the old space until the new is confirmed. Just make your concerns clear from the get-go and if the agent seems at all unsure about it HUCA.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Shouldn't be a problem. They don't have to drop the old space until the new is confirmed. Just make your concerns clear from the get-go and if the agent seems at all unsure about it HUCA.
This doesn't always work. I tried to change an LH F award just before the devaluation. The agent couldn't make it work so I politely ended the call after clearly declining any change. Five minutes later I get an email with my new (refused!) itinerary in UA C the entire way!

Took about four hours to get it fixed once I found a competent agent.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
OK, thanks, I will maybe give it a shot. My concern is that they will confirm the space but not the reprice//will have difficulty issuing the ticket. This is the back end of a round trip where we came out via the Atlantic, so I dunno if returning via the Pacific vs the Atlantic will make any ticketing experts unhappy.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
This is the back end of a round trip where we came out via the Atlantic, so I dunno if returning via the Pacific vs the Atlantic will make any ticketing experts unhappy.
It shouldn't, but you never know what kind of bs they may come up with. To me the most important thing is what Seth said about HUCA if the agent doesn't seem on top of his/her game.

I have an OZ F award with an OJ at the stopover that I am extremely hesitant to mess with for exactly the same reason.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
It shouldn't, but you never know what kind of bs they may come up with. To me the most important thing is what Seth said about HUCA if the agent doesn't seem on top of his/her game.
I've made many, many changes over the last year or two and never lost a reservation. Worse case, you may need to spend some time finding an agent who can fix it, if something breaks.

The politely HUCA part is important. I've gotten so I can usually spot a bad agent from the moment they say hello so sometimes I immediately hang up and call right back.

Curious why you are making the change.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Curious why you are making the change.
We're in TG F//LH F right now BKK-MUC-BOS, with overnights at BKK and MUC en route.

We could instead skip the overnight in BKK and take BKK-NRT-ORD in TG F//NH F. My wife is interested in seeing NH F (and I'm surprised to see it open for 2!).
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We could instead skip the overnight in BKK and take BKK-NRT-ORD in TG F//NH F. My wife is interested in seeing NH F (and I'm surprised to see it open for 2!).
The gods have been smiling on you lately

Good luck!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
We're in TG F//LH F right now BKK-MUC-BOS, with overnights at BKK and MUC en route.

Not sure when you're traveling but I assume no overnight in BKK means a red-eye and the current red-eyes BKK>NRT are on the A330 (no F). Also if you're on the morning NH flight (10), it's new F and there's no seating where you can see and comfortably talk with your wife.

The seats are definitely better on the MUC route, but if you want to go through NRT, I'd overnight BKK, take the TG morning flight (A380) to BKK and then connect onto NH 1010 (old F) which is much better for a couple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.