Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can you tell how many non-rev are on standby for tomorrow's flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)

I am flying NRT-SFO on April 5th. UA838 - B747. Currently, I am on E+ middle seat.

1 E+ seat open
57 E- seats are open.

I am not tall and would like to take chances to have my next seat open on E- instead of sitting on E+ middle.

I kept monitoring this flight this past week. It looks like E- seats are less full - too many elites. However, I am flying on Saturday. Most likely more people on standby.

MY question is can you tell how many non-rev are standby on a flight. If there are 30+ non-rev standbys or on a waiting list, I will keep my E+ middle seat. If not I will switch to E- isle seat.

Last edited by poohhead80; Apr 3, 2014 at 5:56 pm Reason: title
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by poohhead80
I am flying NRT-SFO on April 5th. UA838 - B747. Currently, I am on E+ middle seat.

1 E+ seat open
57 E- seats are open.

I am not tall and would like to take chances to have my next seat open on E- instead of sitting on E+ middle.

I kept monitoring this flight this past week. It looks like E- seats are less full - too many elites. However, I am flying on Saturday. Most likely more people on standby.

MY question is can you tell how many non-rev are standby on a flight. If there are 30+ non-rev standbys or on a waiting list, I will keep my E+ middle seat. If not I will switch to E- isle seat.
you can't. Many employees also list last minute, so no true way to know how many are listed. Your best bet will be at t-24.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

1 E+ seat open
57 E- seats are open.

Not sure what non-revs have to do with it. The standby list is going to include more than just non-revs. And even then still there are last minute listings/xls, reaccom etc up until the door closes, not to mention seats that may be blocked under airport control. I would decide whether more legroom or an aisle seat is more important and then go from there. Also people in E+ may be waitlisted for an upgrade so that could open up more seats.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Also people in E+ may be waitlisted for an upgrade so that could open up more seats.
Thanks.
Only 4 GF/GB seats are open. I guess not many people will be upgraded.

This flight is one of two NRT-SFO B747 on that day. The other flight is departing two hours later. Most of the connecting passengers from other Asian cities will be in NRT before the two flights.
I can tell people want to get to US earlier to SFO. Later flight is less full and more E+ seats open. I chose this flight for the same reason.

Anyway, I have been trying to avoid B747 Y all the time. The last UA B747 Y was 10 years and 2 months ago NRT-ORD.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:24 pm

You can't see the list of NRSAs but that is a moot point. Many non revs list las minute so it changes constantly.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Ask at check-in and again (if necessary) at the gate if it appears that there may be seats available that meet have an adjacent vacant seat. But keep in mind that there are no guarantees that the empty will remain so.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:24 pm

Don't non-revs show up on both the GF and BF upgrade standby lists?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by whistler814
only if they list for them. System doesnt automatically list you from the top down.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whistler814
Umm... yes, and no.

Non-rev's flying standby don't show up anywhere. (NRSA)

Positive space standbys (basically employees flying for business reasons) (NRPS) can show up on both GF and BF lists, on three class airplanes. On two class airplanes they will be on the First Class upgrade list, but will be so far down the list (think page 5, probably #83 for the one or two seats open) that you would never know who they are.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP shouldn't count unassigned seats to guess load levels. If there's one tour group without assigned seats, the number of open seats can chage dramatically as departure time approaches.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Huh?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Umm... yes, and no.

Sorry, they do. They show on both the standby list, the BF list, and (if applicable), the GF list. Go look at the flight status page for UA838 tomorrow. You'll see the same three pax listed for standby, BF, and GF. These are the NRSA's. There's one NRPS, he/she has already cleared into BF, and is waitlisted for GF.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, they do. They show on both the standby list, the BF list, and (if applicable), the GF list. Go look at the flight status page for UA838 tomorrow. You'll see the same three pax listed for standby, BF, and GF. These are the NRSA's. There's one NRPS, he/she has already cleared into BF, and is waitlisted for GF.
Thursday, Friday or Saturday?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thursday, Friday or Saturday?
Sorry, but there is no question that NRSA folks show up on standby lists...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:01 am

MY question is can you tell how many non-rev are standby on a flight.
What you really need to know is how many sold seats are unassigned. That's more likely to affect chances at an empty middle than non-revs in the volumes you're talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.