Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bus to plane at FRA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
LH metal is no protection from the bus. Several times I have flown in from SEA on LH491, arriving about 830a, and lucked into the bus every time. Usually raining.
+1

I'm probably about 7/8 bus gates arriving LH in FRA, including the 744. Exception is the 380, which seems to me always gets the jetway.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When we had to bus out for FRA-EWR I had 3 road warriors behind me making every comment they could about how this is ridiculous and "ONLY ON UNITED".
They also made sure every person from the bus driver, to the FAs, to the fellow pax knew about this.
I didn't want to say anything since I wasn't sure but there was a CX bird parked next to us...I would imagine they were going to get bussed to?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I hate the bus, and will do anything possible to avoid FRA at all costs.

If you're connecting, MUC is a much nicer option.
I like MUC better for the most part as well. But they use hard stands, too.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:43 pm

Bus gates at FRA can be great. My Saturday flight on LH often lands in the back of beyond, but this time (as sometimes happens) it has a bus gate to B. That is much more central and will cut off about 3/4 km of walking or more. Invariably however there are American travellers on the bus whinging loudly about how 'backwards' rest of world is compared to the US.
When we had to bus out for FRA-EWR I had 3 road warriors behind me making every comment they could about how this is ridiculous and "ONLY ON UNITED".
They also made sure every person from the bus driver, to the FAs, to the fellow pax knew about this.
I didn't want to say anything since I wasn't sure but there was a CX bird parked next to us...I would imagine they were going to get bussed to?
Yeah, those guys! They are on every bus I take in Europe, though, complaining loudly about bus gates.

I've done bus gate to bus gate at MUC with less than 30 minutes to connect, including a quick stop for some shopping.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
I arrived FRA from SFO November '12 and there was the bus.
Waiting to board in the chilly drizzle were a number of people in shorts and tee-shirts.
At least they looked vaguely embarrassed.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
My arrival on UA932 from IAD last week was a bus, but my departure on 933 was at the Z gates. My two recent round trips on LH418 and 419 have also all been at the Z gates.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I hate the bus, and will do anything possible to avoid FRA at all costs.

If you're connecting, MUC is a much nicer option.
Which has bus-positions in abundance also - I have seen LH's 346 load/unload by bus as well as UA's 764/777s as well there...and with domestic flights, everything below a 321 has a >50% chance of a bus-ride as well - even higher chance with Embraers and certain for CRJ and the like.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:38 pm
Suspended

I fly apporx 40 intra Euro flight per year. Almost always get a bus in FRA. I also never understand all the stairs. I am in good shape but it is absurd when you see a plane with 200 people lugging their bags down a bunch of stairs
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Surftel
I fly apporx 40 intra Euro flight per year. Almost always get a bus in FRA. I also never understand all the stairs. I am in good shape but it is absurd when you see a plane with 200 people lugging their bags down a bunch of stairs
Well, if one keeps the bag to 8kg, it really isn't an issue. And there is special service for the disabled if they require it.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by djohannw
Which has bus-positions in abundance also - I have seen LH's 346 load/unload by bus as well as UA's 764/777s as well there...and with domestic flights, everything below a 321 has a >50% chance of a bus-ride as well - even higher chance with Embraers and certain for CRJ and the like.
Every one of my LH connections from MUC to European destinations on planes smaller than A321 has been from a bus gate. Bus gates at MUC mean less time at LH Senator Lounges.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I'll take the buses at FRA/MUC/ZRH, etc. over the contraptions used at IAD ("mobile lounges") to get from the main terminal to the gates, any day, all day long.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by ryman554
Dunno, I personally think it's quite the experience being up close and personal to ramp operations as we get bussed out.

At least the first couple of times.

Now, I find it tedious.
Kind of like that endless scene in the original Star Trek movie, Star Trek the Motionless Picture. Where you spend what seems like hours circling the new Enterprise, admiring its beauty, but after five minutes or so you've had enough.

Yes, it is cool the first couple of times you get to see airport ramp and taxi operations up-close. Depending on my mood, I'll even take the F to B (I think?) shuttle at ORD for that reason.

I'm kind of surprised by those that think FRA isn't efficient though. They've always processed me very quickly, flights have left on-time (not just International), signage is reasonable. But it can be a very long haul between International and EU gates, almost on par with LHR except that it's a more-interesting walk than LHR. And during a summer heat wave, sections of the airport can become nearly unbearable.

If you want to be bussed to another county for your plane, try CAI. Intra-Egypt flights can involve literally a several-mile bus ride.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am always on a bus arriving at FRA, almost without exception. Much better at MUC. No diff b/t UA and LH metal. They just don't have enough gates. It is the one thing I hate most about FRA as it is no fun to navigate stairs with a rollaboard after an overnight flight.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:26 am

Well this thread jinxed me, and we ended up NOT at a bus gate today and it added at least 15 minutes of (fast) walking to my connection.

Bus gates can be a very good thing.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by exbayern
Well this thread jinxed me, and we ended up NOT at a bus gate today and it added at least 15 minutes of (fast) walking to my connection.

Bus gates can be a very good thing.
I always have at least 20 minutes of walking after the bus to get to my connecting gate, so the bus has never saved me time. Plus it means I have to wait for everyone else to exit the plane v. exiting the plane quickly from my C seat and being on my way immediately.

Originally Posted by garkster
I'll take the buses at FRA/MUC/ZRH, etc. over the contraptions used at IAD ("mobile lounges") to get from the main terminal to the gates, any day, all day long.
The IAD buses are annoying but at least you are not required to descend on stairs with all you carryon bags while being exposed to the elements, all in a semi-conscious sleep deprived state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.