Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

VUP/QUP or other "UP" fares. What class fare do you book, for Frequent Flyer Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VUP/QUP or other "UP" fares. What class fare do you book, for Frequent Flyer Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by cleanfloor
I got the extra bonus for the P but not the ON.
ON does not have an additional bonus.

I also had some questions regarding this topic:

1) What is the difference between a V*UP**** fare and a V****/UPDI fare? Both are economy fares that book into United First. In which cases are the respective fares offered?

2) "Certain premium cabin flight segments may earn different award miles and Premier qualifying credits than those defined for your ticketed fare class in the chart above (your fare class for each flight segment is displayed during booking and when viewing a ticketed itinerary on united.com). In these cases, earning is based on the first letter of the fare basis code, which may correspond to an economy cabin fare class including Y, B, M, H, Q, U, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, or N. You can determine your fare basis code when booking a reservation on united.com by selecting the Fare Rules and Restrictions link on the itinerary review page prior to purchase." Is there any clarity yet about those "may" clauses and when they are in effect? It seems that some people get the 1.5 PQM bonus while others do not. I guess/hope UA is not flipping a coin to decide if the PQM bonus is given or not. What is the logic?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 23, 2014 at 2:03 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
They typically book in to P or Z, not F or A. Whether you get the CoS credit or not depends on other factors, but start from that premise.
That is not a valid assumption. UA sells UP fares which book into every premium fare class, including F, A, J, C, and D.

The only way to know prior to purchase whether you are buying a true premium cabin fare is to click on the "View Rules and Restrictions" link. After purchase, you can also check the Saudia website.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is not a valid assumption. UA sells UP fares which book into every premium fare class, including F, A, J, C, and D.
Between YOW and KOA? I see V-Ups booking into P.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mozilla
What is the difference between a V*UP**** fare and a V****/UPDI fare? Both are economy fares that book into United First. In which cases are the respective fares offered?
I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule. The former format is what PMUA used to use, and the latter format seems to be something fairly recent.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Between YOW and KOA? I see V-Ups booking into P.
Your answer was not route-limited. I haven't conducted a scientific study (and no longer have an EF subscription). But I just got .com to offer me an A SFO-HNL and a C SFO-JFK that were both H-UPs.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Ok when I went to the UA website, I put the airports, dates and asked for "Business/BusinessFirst" fare. I bought an ORD-LAX "P Fare" this is NOT a business class fare (not even discounted)? What happens if I want to go standby on an earlier/later flight, same day?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Ok when I went to the UA website, I put the airports, dates and asked for "Business/BusinessFirst" fare. I bought an ORD-LAX "P Fare" this is NOT a business class fare (not even discounted)? What happens if I want to go standby on an earlier/later flight, same day?
Have you checked the fare basis? It could be true business class, but probably is not.

I have had no difficulty SDCing with an UP fare. You will need P availability.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, UA Club Lifer, MC Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Question Are There Any True P Fares Anymore?

Years ago I used to see P fares listed as Premium First Class fares. Now, using KVS Tool, I do not see any fares where the "fare basis" is P. I do see many fares with a V or Q or H fare basis that book into P.

I would be interested if someone could show me a route that has a P fare basis--maybe I have not looked far enough.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by tomwht
Years ago I used to see P fares listed as Premium First Class fares. Now, using KVS Tool, I do not see any fares where the "fare basis" is P. I do see many fares with a V or Q or H fare basis that book into P.

I would be interested if someone could show me a route that has a P fare basis--maybe I have not looked far enough.
They exist. Most of the international Ps are true business class fares. I've also recently seen SFO-MEX and SFO-CUN as true business class. By contrast, SJU and BOG P fares are typically UPs.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G

pek-ewr

interestingly, if you select pek-bos (for example) you will get a BusinessFirst (P) ticket but the fare basis shows P**** for pek-ewr and V or S or T**** for ewr-bos....

Combinable, essentially?

Originally Posted by Kacee
They exist. Most of the international Ps are true business class fares. I've also recently seen SFO-MEX and SFO-CUN as true business class. By contrast, SJU and BOG P fares are typically UPs.
and these UP fares are usually cheaper than Y. often they are even cheaper than B.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 24, 2014 at 1:05 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by cyanchan15
and these UP fares are usually cheaper than Y. often they are even cheaper than B.
The true Ps SFO-MEX and SFO-CUN were just as cheap (in the $800 range).

Y and B are unrestricted. Ps are nonrefundable and expensive to change.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, UA Club Lifer, MC Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cyanchan15
pek-ewr

interestingly, if you select pek-bos (for example) you will get a BusinessFirst (P) ticket but the fare basis shows P**** for pek-ewr and V or S or T**** for ewr-bos....

Combinable, essentially?

Thanks! I do see the fares you both mentioned as well as 3 SFO-FRA P fares. But no domestic. If I recall correctly, JFK-SFO & JFK-LAX had a P fare above the F fare and called it Premium First. Guess they do not use it anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks! I do see the fares you both mentioned as well as 3 SFO-FRA P fares. But no domestic. If I recall correctly, JFK-SFO & JFK-LAX had a P fare above the F fare and called it Premium First. Guess they do not use it anymore.
a few years back, P was a discounted 3-class F fare but for the past 2-3 years it has been a discounted business /2-class F fare. This was around the same time UA started using J as the full-fare business and C was demoted.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Click on the View Rules and Restrictions link when pricing the ticket. It will show the fare. Look at the first letter of the fare. Then compare with what the website is offering.

For example, the website may offer you a "United First (P)" ticket, while the fare is V2UP14N3. V2UP14N3 is an economy fare that books into P which is United First. It is NOT a P fare.
I also had some questions regarding this topic:

1) What is the difference between a V*UP**** fare and a V****/UPDI fare? Both are economy fares that book into United First. In which cases are the respective fares offered?
There is definitely something odd going on with P and Z class purchases. I tried to book PHL-MSP in business class and UA.com dutifully returns flights that show Z and P fares on the itinerary listing. However, when you click through to the fare rules it shows the fare basis as either WE21SKN, VE14SKN, or QE7SKN. No "UP" or "UPDI" anywhere in the fare basis.

I'm booked BQN-ITO in November on a true P fare basis (confirmed with the Saudi site). While it's "domestic" in the sense that it's all U.S. airports it does include a Caribbean flight which seems to be a trigger for P fare availability.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
So does UA offer true P fares - both booking codes and fare basis?

PS-What is the "Saudi" site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.