Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's hubs more valuable than UA's?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by unavaca
According to the article, evidently there are no lucrative hubs west of the Mississippi save MSP

Guess Texas and California aren't really worth flying to.
That makes no sense at all. UA would be sunk without SFO and IAH.

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
actually i'll take EWR terminal C over LGA's terminal B for facilities, operations and location aside.
I really wasn't referring so much to the physical plant (I think IAD is the "winner" there), but operations and user unfriendliness. EWR is the most delayed airport with the consistently rudest employees.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsdc
I just wish that UA and the Washington Airports Authority would do something about the abomination that is the Dulles Midfield Concourse. I feel like I am in a time machine every time I am there. A lot of the other elements are in place (or almost in place, wrt the Metro Silver Line) for that to be a great hub airport.
Sadly, this won't be happening anytime soon. MWAA can't pay for it 100%, they need UA to belly up and pay their share. Since IAD isn't a priority for UA management at the moment, I don't see UA opening the checkpoint. And in their defense, I wouldn't trust MWAA to keep the project on budget or on schedule.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Hey spin: I'll take these guys over your pals at MotleyFool any day of the week!
With his industry experience, I think I'd rather have this guy running the show over $misek, that's for sure!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I have a hard time believing that Delta has the most lucrative hubs. I always thought that EWR was the most profitable hub in the country. With the exception of Atlanta and NYC (which delta doesn't dominate), Delta isn't exactly dominating hubs in 1st tier cities. I'm sure Delta would trade MSP or Detroit for MIA, IAH, DFW, ORD, or SFO - ALso, I would think that Delta would trade LGA/JFK in a heartbeat for EWR - I hate EWR, but the international flights UAL is able to offer there is extremely impressive.

I think Delta does a great job offering interesting routes from non hub cities - RDU is a great example.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
...and other fascinating tidbits from Fortune this week (as DL had a highlight article, along with a couple others, for the World's Most Admired Companies issue)

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/27/lead...une/index.html

Most interesting to me (all at end of the article):

Looking to the future, one of Anderson's biggest goals is to strengthen Delta's already powerful hubs. That's where the big money is, now and in the future. Delta's portfolio of hubs -- chiefly Atlanta, Detroit, LaGuardia, and Minneapolis -- form the most lucrative collection of any airline, according to data assembled by Vaughn Cordle of Ionosphere Capital, an investment advisory firm focused on airlines

Goes against the prevailing viewpoint of some that UA has the most unbeatable / valuable hubs.

Until a couple of years ago Delta faced a big disadvantage: an undersize position in New York City. For Anderson it was essential to make New York a big domestic hub as well as an international gateway so that Delta could offer its full package to corporate clients. Since his arrival the CEO has lavished almost all of Delta's non-aircraft investment on expanding at J.F.K. and LaGuardia.

The move is paying off: Delta now handles 40% of the passengers coming and going from LaGuardia. And its share of the corporate market in New York has jumped from 28% to 37% in three years. In the past Delta did little business with the financial services giants that dominate business travel in New York. Today it's No. 1 or No. 2 with almost all the big banks and brokerages, including Citigroup, J.P. Morgan Chase, and Morgan Stanley.

Hmmm...I wonder where that sourcing has come from?

Definitely worth a read.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsdc
I just wish that UA and the Washington Airports Authority would do something about the abomination that is the Dulles Midfield Concourse. I feel like I am in a time machine every time I am there. A lot of the other elements are in place (or almost in place, wrt the Metro Silver Line) for that to be a great hub airport.
C Concourse is not as fancy as A/B I admit, but it really isn't that bad. At least it is up to par with any other airport. The plan is to demolish the whole C in the future in favor of a new concourse right on top of the C concourse train station. Then they'll build another international immigration terminal to the north of the airport then complete the Airtrain loop. The C concourse, since it was built, was for temporary purpose.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by ben237829624
C Concourse is not as fancy as A/B I admit, but it really isn't that bad. At least it is up to par with any other airport. The plan is to demolish the whole C in the future in favor of a new concourse right on top of the C concourse train station. Then they'll build another international immigration terminal to the north of the airport then complete the Airtrain loop. The C concourse, since it was built, was for temporary purpose.
It's really a misnomer to call it the C concourse train station since it's almost a mile walk to get to the concourse from the station! Don't think there'll be a new terminal in my lifetime...

But back to the topic at hand, surely ORD, IAH and IAD plus DEN, SFO and LAX must count as fairly lucrative airports, along with EWR. It's just that UA has managed to squander its advantages by cutting corners. However, having read the article it appears the statement is based on DL being the dominant carrier between these hubs (which is only natural since that's the purpose of its hub and spoke system). But DL has six main hubs: ATL, JFK/LGA, MSP, DTW and SLC. It is claimed it dominates these. However, UA also has six hubs but I suppose its weakest one is the one we perceive as its major one: ORD. It appears that when it comes to domestic flights, AA actually has more than UA...UA's dominance comes when overseas flights are included. The article says DL controls 40% of the traffic at LGA and is just developing JFK as a major overseas gateway. Of course UA has substantial operations at LGA and lesser at JFK (but high yield transcon PS) but dominates EWR which would actually gives it the largest number of flights from/to NYC putting both DL and AA/US well behind.

It really seems DL's advantages of the balance sheet and profitability stem from its decision not to modernize its fleet but to refurb older planes and trade off operating efficiencies over capital depreciation.

The article was written before DL announced major changes to its FF program, but does state the airline's objective is to attract high-yield customers...which is the philosophy of the changes. (In this DL is echoing AC in its quest to keep its high yield customers and give little concern to low-yield/frequent travellers.)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:02 pm

Delta's gain in corporate share in NYC is in large part from US with the a lot swap. There's loss from UAL and AA too, but United still has the largest share of corporate traffic in NYC (by a small margin).

Delta has been upfront that LGA is profitable and JFK is not and that NYC overall is in a loss position.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Kacee
That makes no sense at all. UA would be sunk without SFO and IAH.
Yup. My comment was questioning the legitimacy of the article since it appears to have ignored half of the United States and the 12th (CA) and 14th (TX) largest economies in the world.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The move is paying off: Delta now handles 40% of the passengers coming and going from LaGuardia. And its share of the corporate market in New York has jumped from 28% to 37% in three years. In the past Delta did little business with the financial services giants that dominate business travel in New York. Today it's No. 1 or No. 2 with almost all the big banks and brokerages, including Citigroup, J.P. Morgan Chase, and Morgan Stanley.
This certainly matches my anecdotal evidence. Several people I know in NYC who travel premium cabin domestic and international on corporate business have switched to DL in recent years. It seems that operational reliability and the overall level of customer service have been the main drivers for them.

Originally Posted by unavaca
Yup. My comment was questioning the legitimacy of the article since it appears to have ignored half of the United States and the 12th (CA) and 14th (TX) largest economies in the world.
I was agreeing with you
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Can't look at one year in isolation, you have to look at a few years put together. With the DL-NW merger happening earlier, UA was still (and is still) going through merger teething pains that DL has already passed by.

Originally Posted by spin88
Delta made $2.2B last year in actual profit, United made $570M. That with better assets, and the best macro environment possible, Jeff made 1/4 of what DAL did, and 1/3 of what AAL says it all...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Suffice it to say, as our frequent readers know , that Delta had a very very different revenue profile at a similar period of its merger. It gained in relative yield on its competitors (not like UAL losing relative yield) at similar points in its merger, not like UAL giving up relative yield premium.

Put another way, Delta gained premium travelers from the start of its merger and kept gaining them. United lost premium travelers and is still losing more of them.

In more detail:

United and Continental announced their merger on 5/3/10, and closed the transaction on 10/1/10, so 2013 is the third year post merger. Delta and NW announced their merger on 4/15/08, closed on 10/29/08, so 2011 was the third year post merger and is comparable to 2013 for UAL.

In 2011 the airlines had the following yield growth:

CO 13.5%
DL 10.1%
US 8.5%
UAL 8.3%
AA 6%

in 2013, the comparable year for the UAL/CO merger the yield growth was:

DL: 3%
AA: 2%
UAL: 1.8%

Delta was second highest in its third year (bested only by CO, which got a big boost from hub strength) UAL was last.

The same different pattern applies to year two of the merger, 2010 yield for DAL vs. 2012 yield for UAL.

2010 (note a tough year given the very different economic impacts at each carriers hubs) yield growth:

CO +21%
UAL +17%
DAL +14.8%
US +11.9%
AA +8.7%

the comparable 2012 yield growth:

AA +4.5%
DL +3.6%
US +2.9%
UAL +1.3%

Delta was in the middle of the pack (and CO and UAL benefited that year from having hubs at the areas hardest hit by the great recession, so the biggest bounce back) in year two, United was at the bottom in year two.

Any argument that United's problems are merger related, and what is happening to UAL just happens in mergers is utterly, and completely wrong. The data is directly to the contrary. Mergers give immediate synergies in revenue, United's has caused a "dis-synergy"

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 11, 2014 at 10:57 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
Can't look at one year in isolation, you have to look at a few years put together. With the DL-NW merger happening earlier, UA was still (and is still) going through merger teething pains that DL has already passed by.
UA itself is now past blaming the merger for operational issues.

Indeed, it seems (at least based on my personal experience) that post-merger operational performance stabilized in the first half of 2013, and has since gotten considerably worse.

That said, there is no question that delays in integrating the two operating subsidiaries continue to hurt UA on numerous fronts. But you know, the transaction closed in October 2010, and the operational merger occurred in March 2012. At what point does the problem shift from "merger" to "management"?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
.... At what point does the problem shift from "merger" to "management"?
Again, thanks for your insight. Your posts have assisted me. After 45 years of flying and United (DC-8-63, PIT-ORD, $19 Youth Standby) being my first flight and more than a million on Continental, I vote management.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
spin, thanks for taking your own time to do the historical comp analysis. Of course mergers bring synergies, and normally the business thrives as a result. It almost can't be helped. That is until.........

DL will always have a 2 year merger lead on UA and UA 3+ years on AA/US. But there has to come a time, even for all the wishful thinkers, savvy management and the BoD, the facts have to bear witness.

Now if Smi/J would stop looking at his own financials and begin to analyze the "industry" metrics, it could possibly lead to a light-bulb moment.

Maybe wishful thinking.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
DL will always have a 2 year merger lead on UA and UA 3+ years on AA/US. But there has to come a time, even for all the wishful thinkers, savvy management and the BoD, the facts have to bear witness.
UA has a 3 year head start on AA/US as noted...yet the 2013 combination of AA/US (without any route coordination; with a much smaller route network for each individually; without any cost synergies, etc.) also had 2x the profits of UA last year.

It's the management, stupid (note, not you)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.