Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Please move rows 7 and 8 to back of plane due to weight and balance??A319

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Strange thing happened Tuesday from phl to sfo. I was seated first few rows and before takeoff we were told to move back to at least row 12 cause nose as heavy. I got the seat free due to status but lady next to me said she paid $120 bucks for that seat.. I have had this happen many times on small planes but its a first for Airbus A319.

Last edited by UA1KPHL; Apr 15, 2014 at 11:04 am
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It can happen on any aircraft, though it is much more common on smaller planes. I would guess it had to do with the cargo distribution.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
Strange thing happened Tuesday from phl to sfo. I was seated 7a and before takeoff we were told to move back to at least row 12 cause nose as heavy. I got the seat free due to status but lady next to me said she paid $120 bucks for that seat.. I have had this happen many times on small planes but its a first for Airbus A319.
How full was the plane?

Typically you're allowed to move back after takeoff, was this not the case?

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It can happen on any aircraft, though it is much more common on smaller planes. I would guess it had to do with the cargo distribution.
With light passenger load it could be that there was just a little bit too much cargo in the front compartment and it was easier to trim with a passenger or two than to shift cargo around.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:11 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
One question that has always puzzled me about this kind of weight situation:

If an airplane has the control capabilities / load balance margins of operation when fully loaded, why does it "need" to be rebalanced when not even full?

Can the trim surfaces not compensate? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but I would think it is hardly an issue of not being able to fly the plane within weight balance limits if the passengers were not moved.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TA

If an airplane has the control capabilities / load balance margins of operation when fully loaded, why does it "need" to be rebalanced when not even full?

Can the trim surfaces not compensate? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but I would think it is hardly an issue of not being able to fly the plane within weight balance limits if the passengers were not moved.
Imagine a very simple airplane that can carry up to 2000 lbs of payload. When fully loaded, 1000 lbs of payload would sit fore of the wing, and 1000 lbs of payload would sit aft of the wing. For simplicity, assume they're equidistant from the point where lift acts on the wing. The point where lift acts on the wing can be considered the pivot point for balance, and since each 1000 lbs load is equidistant from that point, the plane is perfectly balanced (imagine a see saw with 2 equal loads).

Now, imagine this plane isn't fully loaded. Instead, the plane is only carrying 1000 lbs of load, but all 1000 lbs are fore of the wing. This plane is now extremely unbalanced and will tend to pitch down. So, even though the plane is not even close to full, the resulting forces could be more than the trim surfaces can compensate for.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
W&B affects anything that flies. It's simply a less common problem requiring on-the-spot action, the larger the aircraft.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
Strange thing happened Tuesday from phl to sfo. I was seated 7a and before takeoff we were told to move back to at least row 12 cause nose as heavy. I got the seat free due to status but lady next to me said she paid $120 bucks for that seat.. I have had this happen many times on small planes but its a first for Airbus A319.
She should ask for and get a refund.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by valor155
Indeed. And UA better not pull this all-E+-seats-are-created-equal crap. They charge different amounts for the different seats.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TA
Every aircraft has a "weight and balance envelope". Having a center of gravity outside the envelope is not just a violation of FARs, but can also be dangerous (the NTSB accident files are full of these situations). Too far forward and the plane could have difficulty on takeoff or landing. Too far back narrows the safety margin between cruise and stall. Performance is also degraded if the center of gravity is too far forward. And note that the CG moves during flight as fuel burns, so you need to predict the CG range throughout the flight.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Every aircraft has a "weight and balance envelope". Having a center of gravity outside the envelope is not just a violation of FARs, but can also be dangerous (the NTSB accident files are full of these situations). Too far forward and the plane could have difficulty on takeoff or landing. Too far back narrows the safety margin between cruise and stall. Performance is also degraded if the center of gravity is too far forward. And note that the CG moves during flight as fuel burns, so you need to predict the CG range throughout the flight.
Fox Airlines?

Cheap Fares and Balance?

Originally Posted by TA

Fuel load is a significant part of Plane mass, so depending on how much fuel is on board the balance is not a simple one size fits all.

Sure you can compensate with trim, but what if trim function is lost? Two things causal to an incident is way too few, to achieve the safety margins needed for air travel.

What if you lose all three redundant hydraulic systems at once? Even then, a pilot wearing Haynes underwear managed to drop the plane down from FL300 and land it.

Pilots worrying about stuff like this is why flying is six sigma safe.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 7, 2014 at 5:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Sure you can compensate with trim
Not necessarily if you exceed the published limits.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
This has happened to me multiple times, on flying the SPI-ORD route on those cheap Canadair buckets that Skywest operates. On my last hop out of SPI, I had to be move from row 1 to the back of the plane. This was on a Wednesday, and the plane was only half full - which explains why weight balancing was a problem. It was only a 30-minute flight, so I did not care.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by valor155
Is this FT constant think? After takeoff was she allowed to return to her paid seat?

Would she rather be on a plane that could crash because her a*s would not move for 4" of leg room.

I have been in FC and been asked to move back, than returned to my assigned seat after take off. Than I had my "warmed" nuts and g&t.

All was well, as we landed safely.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Seems like the 319/20 can carry a heavy cargo load. Was on a flight ORD-SJC in mid 2000s and pilot told us we had heavy cargo and would use the full length of 32L (starting at far end before the 9/27 intersect; same as Hong Kong bound 747). he didn't say what cargo we had, but it was one of the most unnerving take offs I've ever had as we did use most of the runway finally rotating by the hangars at the end of the runway with a low nose up position and plane just seemed to take forever to gain any altitude. Don't recall which Airbus, but thinking it might have been a 319. It was a full flight, so no one was moved around.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

ok but they only made us move a few rows but was told to not move back to rows 7 or 8 after takeoff either..
i dont understand how 10 passengers really make a difference.. yeah the plane was kinda light in the back.

Originally Posted by kettle1
Is this FT constant think? After takeoff was she allowed to return to her paid seat?

Would she rather be on a plane that could crash because her a*s would not move for 4" of leg room.

I have been in FC and been asked to move back, than returned to my assigned seat after take off. Than I had my "warmed" nuts and g&t.

All was well, as we landed safely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.