Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund possible?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Refund possible?

Would like to ask if anyone has experience similar to mine and chances of obtaining change fee refund.

I wanted to book LAX PVR direct once I have confirmed by accommodation rental last Nov. I have done the LAX PVR flight several times, but when I checked seat availability for my travel dates (March 8 thru 15 2014), there was a complete block on that route. All E seats were grayed out. I thought this was odd so had to look at other routes.

In the end I picked ONT - SFO - PVR and the same on the return. It did cost $150 more per person (my wife and I are traveling). I just checked my reservation and all looks fine (even if an horrible early start time from ONT). Out of curiosity I checked to see if the LAX PVR flight was open and it is with very low % of seats purchased.

I called 1K desk and was told I would have to pay $200 change fee for each person. I did explain the experience of blocked booking for the original flight (which can be cross referenced by my existing date/time reservation).

1K did say it might be worth paying the $200 ($400 in total), and then send request into UA Refund to have the change fee credited/waived.

Anyone had similar experience? If I have to I will suck it up but of course would love to take the direct flight at a more reasonable hour.

Thanks

Simon
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trevbcfc
Would like to ask if anyone has experience similar to mine and chances of obtaining change fee refund.

I wanted to book LAX PVR direct once I have confirmed by accommodation rental last Nov. I have done the LAX PVR flight several times, but when I checked seat availability for my travel dates (March 8 thru 15 2014), there was a complete block on that route. All E seats were grayed out. I thought this was odd so had to look at other routes.

In the end I picked ONT - SFO - PVR and the same on the return. It did cost $150 more per person (my wife and I are traveling). I just checked my reservation and all looks fine (even if an horrible early start time from ONT). Out of curiosity I checked to see if the LAX PVR flight was open and it is with very low % of seats purchased.

I called 1K desk and was told I would have to pay $200 change fee for each person. I did explain the experience of blocked booking for the original flight (which can be cross referenced by my existing date/time reservation).

1K did say it might be worth paying the $200 ($400 in total), and then send request into UA Refund to have the change fee credited/waived.

Anyone had similar experience? If I have to I will suck it up but of course would love to take the direct flight at a more reasonable hour.

Thanks

Simon
I doubt that UA Refund would even think about refunding you that fee, no matter what the 1K line says.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:59 am

Sure, a refund is possible. But it is hardly likely. It is possible too that little green dudes from outer space will come visiting tomorrow. That too is hardly likely. Still, I'd think it is more likely to receive the visitors than the refund.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
If the lax-pvr is $150 cheaper (since ONT-SFO-PVR is more expensive)...then you would be only paying $50 more person after the change fee.

I would try and then see if you can get the change fee back.

BTW...when did you buy the ticket, the $200 change may not be correct, since the change fees go for $300 nowadays.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Purchased the ticket Nov 30 last year.

1K lady did state $200 change fee. Even if I try to change at T24 and there was a corresponding ticket fare wise (V) then I would still have to pay $75 due to airport change.

My gut says suck it up.

Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by muc2asia
If the lax-pvr is $150 cheaper (since ONT-SFO-PVR is more expensive)...then you would be only paying $50 more person after the change fee.
Almost. You'd pay $200 in new money and have a $150 credit when the transaction was completed.

As for a refund or free change, not gonna happen. You made the decision to buy rather than wait and that's what you get. The SDC policy doesn't permit airport changes like you're suggesting so getting it for $75 is also highly unlikely.

I am curious if there were simply no seats available for assignment or none for sale. The seat map doesn't represent what the company will sell you as a ticket.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
you have no grounds to request a refund...seat blocked, seats blocked. You made the choice, so UA has no reason to give you a refund
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm confused by the OP. Could you purchase the originally intended nonstop flight, but at seat selection, there were no seats available for selection? Or could you not purchase the flight at all - there were no seats available for sale. And either way, purchased a different routing instead?

Either way, there's no justification for a refund. You made the decision to purchase the flights you did, at the price that you did, with restrictions including a fee to change of $200. So if you want to get on the nonstop, which is now, unlike before, either available for purchase or has seats available to select, then you have to pay the stated change fee.

Also, how do you know there are a "very low % of seats purchased." Seat maps, if that's what your looking at, are not a good indicator of how many tickets have actually been sold (or are available).

Not sure why an agent would tell you to seek a refund if you made a change - I can't see any justification for it based on the situation as described.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm confused by the OP.

Not sure why an agent would tell you to seek a refund if you made a change - I can't see any justification for it based on the situation as described.
Because agents make things up to pacify the customer, and get them off the phone, especially when the pax is forcefully expressing their point of view.

Some days this forum has as many as half of the threads with OP's wondering if they received the straight skinny from an agent. The reasons for their posts is almost always to get verification/support that they were in fact safe, or questioning if somehow they could get around paying the change fees.

Then their are the folks that never look at their itin's until T-24 and the advise given to them is to contact the DOT or UA Insider. Oh, yes sometimes IMMEDIATELY contacting their credit card co is suggested as a first avenue of relief.

IOW's, NEVER, EVER take the word of ANY agent - EVER!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.