Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Philadelphia Based Flyers Switching To AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat

I have been on the verge of making a switch to AA---however, being based in Philadelphia--I am now looking at basically flying USAir. I haven't had good experiences on them. Plus, I usually earn my status by segments. As I look at the AA solution (I have been offered Platinum Elite on them for the match), it looks to me that I wouldn't have the segments to keep earning the status.

Just wondering what folks are thinking in the area who have been with AA--second thoughts on the USAir integration?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I don't fly as much as you, but I'm based in PHL for 3/4 of the year. I decided UA would be the best fit, since it's in *A and I buy the cheapest fares (AA, iirc, doesn't credit 100% for its cheapest fares). Being in PHL means that, on UA, there's generally going to be at least one connection to a non-hub, which makes it a bit easier to qualify for status. Since you're a 1kMM, you could probably get away with switching between UA/AA as you'd like, but if you'd have trouble qualifying for status on AA, then it'd be worth waiting out the merger to see what AA's top-tier status would look like.

Upon reflection, I don't think I've actually flown on US ex-PHL. The only trip I've ever taken on them was YEG-PHX-YEG. It was nothing special, but I've generally been underwhelmed by the American carriers. If they keep PHL as a hub, I wonder whether UA will price more competitively though.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pewpew
I don't fly as much as you, but I'm based in PHL for 3/4 of the year. I decided UA would be the best fit, since it's in *A and I buy the cheapest fares (AA, iirc, doesn't credit 100% for its cheapest fares).
Your recollection is incorrect.

AA has always provided 100% elite qualifying mileage credit for all fares that earn miles (which is currently all published fares).

You're confusing the alternate parallel elite qualifying technique, where AA awards 1.5 elite qualifying points per mile for premium and full econ fares, 1.0 point per mile for discount economy fares and 0.5 points per mile for the deepest discount economy fares. Under the point system (not miles), top tier status is achieved with as few as 66,667 miles of premium or full econ fares. This elite qualifying method is for those who don't buy cheap excursion fares - rather, those whose employers buy the expensive fares.

Other ways to get top tier status include 100k miles (on any fares) or 100 segments.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Often debating but have not switched yet as i need to see what the new AA brings. Still on the fence.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Being 1/2 way between EWR and PHL I still have options, but I prefer PHL over EWR. I've definitely done more flying out of EWR in the past 2 years. I'm just waiting to see what happens to fares and frequencies when US is gone.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Your recollection is incorrect.

AA has always provided 100% elite qualifying mileage credit for all fares that earn miles (which is currently all published fares).

You're confusing the alternate parallel elite qualifying technique, where AA awards 1.5 elite qualifying points per mile for premium and full econ fares, 1.0 point per mile for discount economy fares and 0.5 points per mile for the deepest discount economy fares. Under the point system (not miles), top tier status is achieved with as few as 66,667 miles of premium or full econ fares. This elite qualifying method is for those who don't buy cheap excursion fares - rather, those whose employers buy the expensive fares.

Other ways to get top tier status include 100k miles (on any fares) or 100 segments.
Oh, okay. I'd thought EQP were the only way to receive elite status on AA for some odd reason. I must have been thinking about their status challenge. Thanks for letting me know.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's a misconception with AA, and I saw it when I made them my primary carrier back in 2002, and in a couple posts since, that you have to fly 200,000 miles to get EXP. If you did it all on points, which credit at 50% for discounted coach, that would be true, but AA also allows 100K of flying, just like UA, minus the spending requirement. I remember when I made the move that I initially thought I would have to fly 200,000 miles a year for EXP, but after some research found out I didn't have to do that.

I've been in the joint AA/BA lounge on the "A" wing at PHL twice in the last two weeks and it's pretty nice, and, at least on weekends, uncrowded there. Don't think I saw more than 4-5 other guests. No idea what it's like in there during a business day. They brought the liquor out at 1230 last Sunday, probably for an upcoming BA flight. There was only beer available before that time.

Also, you might check if AA will offer you an EXP challenge/status match as a 1K. Much better than Platinum/50K level.

I dealt with two different US employees at PHL last weekend on weather related delays that forced an overnight and US reroute and found them both very helpful. My last US flight was a dozen years back as a UA flyer.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
AA's separate EQM and EQP system is messy because for the flyer that mixes both premium fares and discount Econ, it provides nearly no benefit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.