Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Outsources at YVR, YYC and YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mduell
Given my experiences at YUL and YYZ in the last year, good riddance.
I can pretty much guarantee you it's not going to get any better w/outsourced employees...
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Outsourcing customer service to an organization that has no vested interest in your success, sounds like Harvard Business School to me.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I can pretty much guarantee you it's not going to get any better w/outsourced employees...
Especially if its all outsourced to Air Canada staff
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kettle1
So I take it because all these UA employees are Canadian Citizens they will not be offered or allowed to transfer to other stations UA stations in the USA or around the world?
It's pretty easy for a Canadian to get a TN visa to work in the U.S. But I doubt (m)any of them would be willing to move.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Union vows fight over United Airlines job cuts

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...cuts-1.2546258
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Will this be another case where the company who gets the contract will simply hire back the same people at a lower wage?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:27 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I don't know if anyone else would like to take a look from a "macro" perspective, but my outside observer's sense is this:

When you have an industry that is structurally disadvantaged by overcompetition, customers who have beat the ticket prices down by several factors of where the fares should be, and are hostage to high and long-term capital equipment costs and inflexible variable costs, what can we expect to observe but belt-tightening at every possible piece of the chain? Until they cut something that really eats into their revenue. But for an industry that's very commoditized, there aren't very many aspects of operations that by themselves, are un-substitute-able for an inferior component, which a customer would leave over.

There is little point / insight to complain that airlines respond to the system that has been created for them as any logical player would. If you want a better airline transport infrastructure to be created, you need to look at the rules by which the industry is operating.

Not to say that if we paid higher fares, it would guarantee "in-sourced" labor or better customer service, but it is pretty well guaranteed that paying lower fares has contributed to the opposite. And of course there would be other rules you'd have to put in place to incentivize companies to provide good service as a differentiating (and financially rewarding) factor, and not just take the higher fares for nothing in return.

I doubt there is a good way out of this situation aside from the slow and somewhat haphazard consolidation (which in the end, seems to produce a lot less sustainable value than probably they aim for), short of re-regulating the frequencies and number of competitors per route.

In general, I find it of very little insight (aside from observational amusement) to gripe about things that shouldn't have surprised you to begin with.

Last edited by TA; Feb 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TA
I don't know if anyone else would like to take a look from a "macro" perspective, but my outside observer's sense is this:

When you have an industry that is structurally disadvantaged by overcompetition, customers who have beat the ticket prices down by several factors of where the fares should be, and are hostage to high and long-term capital equipment costs and inflexible variable costs, what can we expect to observe but belt-tightening at every possible piece of the chain?
This is huge. Despite the industry regulation, the demand side for the airlines is pretty competitive in most areas/cities. On the other hand all the major suppliers are monopolistic -
Fuel: cartel
In-flight labor: union
Ground labor: union
Aircraft: duopoly
Airports: monopoly at least at each airport, and sometimes for everything in a region

Makes for a very tough profit environment, which is why the net profits for the whole industry are near zero on any long term scale. Some do airlines better for a time only as others do worse.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Not to say that if we paid higher fares, it would guarantee "in-sourced" labor or better customer service, but it is pretty well guaranteed that paying lower fares has contributed to the opposite. And of course there would be other rules you'd have to put in place to incentivize companies to provide good service as a differentiating (and financially rewarding) factor, and not just take the higher fares for nothing in return.
Who the heck do you think SETS the fares? Joe Blow doesn't go to united.com and put in I'll pay $39 one way for SFO-EWR, and not a penny more. UA is the one that sets the pricing and rules.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:14 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by entropy
Who the heck do you think SETS the fares? Joe Blow doesn't go to united.com and put in I'll pay $39 one way for SFO-EWR, and not a penny more. UA is the one that sets the pricing and rules.
I would suggest reading some introductory webpages on how prices are set in a marketplace in bulk. We're not talking about individual negotiated transactions obviously.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by gglave

However, if you take a station like LHR, AC has employees there because it's a 'major station.'
Not for long. AC's LHR employees have been put on notice and about to be replaced by an outsourced ground handler as Star Carriers move under one roof at T-2. United is safe for now, but won't be far behind.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by TA
And of course there would be other rules you'd have to put in place to incentivize companies to provide good service as a differentiating (and financially rewarding) factor, and not just take the higher fares for nothing in return.
I put a personal rule in place to incentivize UA...I no longer fly them.

Obviously as an individual that means nothing, but I do see a trend of people leaving UA. Kettles complain more about UA than the veteran regular flyers on FT. UA seems to be determined---far more than the other carriers---to find out how much they can get away with and still deliver acceptable financial results.

Daze
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by arisaa
Worked in a company like that before. Only a few top executives left standing. Capitalism at its best. Thousands of people working to enrich a very few.
While I understand your frustration, in-sourcing/out-sourcing has nothing to do with "capitalism."
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I would suggest reading some introductory webpages on how prices are set in a marketplace in bulk. We're not talking about individual negotiated transactions obviously.
Really? They offer no real option to pay more, be it $20, or $50, or $100. Micro works well, macro works well, but economic theory doesn't work well when it comes to airlines.

Since we're talking about Canadian airports here, Air Canada has decided that people don't care if they're miserable or not (or don't know better anyways). Thus the AC 'Rouge' product. On the other hand, on 'real' AC flights, they actually stock more than enough meals for F, and then sell the remaining ones in Y, the people who know about this snap them up before the meal service even starts, but its a nice 'win-win': the airline gets paid for meals, and they have enough to keep people up front happy with choice, and people in back with a decent meal.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by entropy
Really? They offer no real option to pay more, be it $20, or $50, or $100. Micro works well, macro works well, but economic theory doesn't work well when it comes to airlines.

Since we're talking about Canadian airports here, Air Canada has decided that people don't care if they're miserable or not (or don't know better anyways). Thus the AC 'Rouge' product. On the other hand, on 'real' AC flights, they actually stock more than enough meals for F, and then sell the remaining ones in Y, the people who know about this snap them up before the meal service even starts, but its a nice 'win-win': the airline gets paid for meals, and they have enough to keep people up front happy with choice, and people in back with a decent meal.
I didn't know that. On first glance, seems like a great solution. Also, if United were to do it, would be another benefit to sitting in E+ (first crack as some better meals).

This all assumes Intl flights. I think the Domestic First meals have been so cut that Economy Buy-on-board would be the better option if you are paying for it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.