Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Outsources at YVR, YYC and YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Don't think that even UA staff at hubs are safe at this point. If the first goal is to reduce costs, regardless of the outcome, then nobody at the company is safe really. They already outsource much of the flying to UX. UA can just become a holding company to manage a largely outsourced work force. Seems that is the direction they are headed.
I saw all the non-Premier Access check-in lines staffed by Airserv at DEN recently (there were no lines anywhere so I just used the nearest counter which happened to be non-Premier Access).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vkykam
I will miss the YYZ staff... They were generally great, and I am not looking forward to IRROPs...
I agree...most of the YYZ staff, at least the PMUA ones who I usually dealt with, were great. Sad for them...and hope they find work with AC or another carrier soon.

To those who said the service was inconsistent there and that they don't deal with IRROPS well - well, that's definitely not my experience. And for a long time, flew out 1-2 x per month.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I saw all the non-Premier Access check-in lines staffed by Airserv at DEN recently (there were no lines anywhere so I just used the nearest counter which happened to be non-Premier Access).
IAD has had many Airserv employees working the non-premier lines for some time now.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I'm disappointed to see this. I just had one of the best UA experiences ever with a gate agent in YYC and sent a note immediately to 1kvoice to commend him. This sucks...
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by luckypierre
United was/is a leader in this phenomena-outsourcing heavy maintainence to AMECO, outsourcing their mainline customer support to Indian call centers, outsourcing much of their domestic route network to feeder airlines. I am certain the trend will continue. Issues that drive the return of these functions to the originating company-extremely dissatisfied customers, poor quality workmanship (See 787)don't seem to have any effect on UA/CO management.
Looks great on paper but in reality when employees don't give a about the company, customers begin to throw in the towel too. Imagine a team of outsourced minimum wages workers during computer outage #25 for the year or a major storm. May as well put up a sign--"gone home--see you tomorrow" or "not empowered to assist you--please come back another day" rather than deal with angry passengers.

By that point senior management will have taken their multimillion dollar bonus for the $2 billion in cuts made--leaving a shell of a company behind.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 20, 2014 at 10:47 pm Reason: language
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Given my experiences at YUL and YYZ in the last year, good riddance.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
At one point in the mid-2000s, maybe 2006 or 2008, weren't most of the (PMUA) ORD check in staff Airserv? I seem to remember a time when the Premier lines even were staffed with these folks. IIRC, only lines that had actual UA staff were the F/GS as well as one or two UA counters in a separate Premier line that they only let you into when one of the Airserv folks or the chicken couldn't handle the request (and the only thing the Airserve folks really could do was check ID & tag the bags).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by expressboy
I believe this is the case in YUL (outsourced to AC) already. It was pretty awful a while ago but the last 2-3 years have been decent.
AC does not handle UA on the ground at YUL. It's a local 3rd party ground handling company. Above the wing, its all contract staff, and in my experience they are very hit and miss in terms of customer service. Interesting side note UA does handle AC at ORD below the wing, where as in IAH they do not.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Looks great on paper but in reality when employees don't give a s++t about the company, customers begin to throw in the towel too.
At many stations, this unfortunately applies to UA employees as well.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Maybe they'll outsource the ground handling to Air Canada (similar to how United does ground handling for Air Canada at JFK) and maybe these UA employees will get hired back? Fingers crossed that whoever is chosen to handle UA at these stations, the the displaced employees get an opportunity to at least keep a job in some capacity.
-----------------------------------------------------
Your point is well taken but even if they were "rehired" by Air Canada (if I understand you properly here), as part of outsourced ground staff, they would come in at bottom seniority, bottom wages, a new set of work rules etc, it's all completely different than what they would have formerly had. Highly unlikely AC would agree to do this.

A third party vendor means probable part-time work only, minimum or very low wages, no benefits (medical, 401k etc), no work rules, ie., seniority type considerations, a lot of turnover and various and sundry disparities. You already see this at every airline/ airport that does outsourcing. I feel for these Canadian UAL employees and wish them luck.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
So I take it because all these UA employees are Canadian Citizens they will not be offered or allowed to transfer to other stations UA stations in the USA or around the world?

At least some of the CLE employees were offered other positions if they chose to move. That would really suck if you were 5 years from retirement. Hell, what about 6 months.

Cut, cut, cut "the friendly skies".
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by fly18725
Many foreign carriers outsource most or all of their outstations.
Yes, many do. And you know what? It's amazingly easy to tell the difference between those that do and those that don't.

I feel very sorry for UA's frequent travelers to YVR/YYC/YYZ.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
ATS will Handle Customer Service & Air North will handle the ramp

Yikes! Two different companies to handle UA in YVR (ATS & Air North) starting on 01MAY.

I don't know if any present-day UA employees will apply to work with ATS or Air North, however it will likely mean less pay otherwise why would UA outsource?

As commented earlier by sfozrhfco on what the response will be from contracted employees:

"not empowered to assist you--please come back another day"
This is the response I see coming. Prior to CO taking over, if there were any IROPS UA would re-route me onto another carrier without any questions asked. If you speak with the agents in YVR they say when there is IROPS, SHARES will sometime protect passengers on a flight 3 days into the future even if other carriers are available from YVR. The UA agents then go into each PNR one at a time and rebooks them onto other carriers to get them to their destination the same day.

I am not looking forward to any IROPS at YVR going forward.

As far as the staff in YYZ ... they have been great when I lived in YYZ. When I went through there last October they remembered me and we had a nice discussion as well as talking about where CO was taking the combined carrier.

bye for now,

Last edited by sing-along; Feb 21, 2014 at 5:08 am
Old Feb 21, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Wow, just noticed this, very sad. I found the staff at YYZ to be great, will be sad to see them go.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by mduell
Given my experiences at YUL and YYZ in the last year, good riddance.
UA outsourced YUL ground services to Swissport years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.