Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier line says systems are down [Update noon CT: UA says system back up] 18-Feb-14

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier line says systems are down [Update noon CT: UA says system back up] 18-Feb-14

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well in fairness, this is not a uniquely UA experience. Sabre crashed last year, taking AA and a bunch of other airlines down as well.
Yes but how many times has this happened now?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:06 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi everyone, please see an update here. This morning we experienced intermittent issues with our passenger service computer system, causing some flight delays. With the system now restored, we are working to get our customers to their destinations as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

-UA Insider
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Yes but how many times has this happened now?
+1. it's unacceptable. UA IT is the joke of the industry.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:08 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
United Airlines passengers suffered widespread delays Tuesday morning as the airline dealt with seemingly nationwide computer problems with its reservation system.

It restored the system by late morning, but some delays are expected to persist as previously-stalled customers get on their way.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-79349467/
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:10 am

Something is owed to all these customers. I wonder how many "weather" issues UA will claim later today. It's time to look into a new system.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Not sure this is fixed. I booked flight this morning after system supposedly back up, for flight this evening. Wouldn't ticket, so called and agent pushed it through, took about 30 minutes. Then seat assignments all screwed up, not sticking, not printing on boarding passes. Finally got boarding passes with seat assignments.

But then realized no MP number associated with ticket, since it tried to charge me for EC seat - confirmed by agent, and neither she nor I, via UA.com or app could get it to stick. UGH

PS - now seat assignment for one flight disappeared. This is NOT fixed.

Update: 1:04pm just got my boarding passes emailed for return flights tomorrow, complete with upgrade. Except now my upgrade is gone from UA.com and app. Oh, and just received itinerary by email. I have serious doubts I am going to get to where I need to be tonight ... UGH

Last edited by dorisrpas; Feb 18, 2014 at 12:05 pm Reason: update
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
now ain't that the berries??? again, and again and again...and then once more!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Something is owed to all these customers. I wonder how many "weather" issues UA will claim later today. It's time to look into a new system.
I got to the airport 3 hours before scheduled departure. Instead of a nice, relaxing time to catch up on work and enjoy some of the food in the "lounge," I arrived at the airplane a sweaty mess and then had to wait in a mile-long secondary screening in the jetway until finally after 20 minutes, someone shouted "Where is Premier Access?" and they brought us forward to the front of the secondary screening line.

After a long day (midnight departure), I just want to relax. That didn't happen to me today. I think a gesture of goodwill would be very welcome from UA.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
+1. it's unacceptable. UA IT is the joke of the industry.
I mainly read the DL and WN boards here on FT and it's common to see similar comments for each of those airlines here on FT ... maybe airlines' IT systems are more complicated than they get credit for here on FT ...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jackal
I got to the airport 3 hours before scheduled departure. Instead of a nice, relaxing time to catch up on work and enjoy some of the food in the "lounge," I arrived at the airplane a sweaty mess and then had to wait in a mile-long secondary screening in the jetway until finally after 20 minutes, someone shouted "Where is Premier Access?" and they brought us forward to the front of the secondary screening line.

After a long day (midnight departure), I just want to relax. That didn't happen to me today. I think a gesture of goodwill would be very welcome from UA.
WN gave myselfe and family members 150.00 each, travel voucher when they had the outage. That was NOT a fun day. But the goodwill did go a long way.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Beckles
I mainly read the DL and WN boards here on FT and it's common to see similar comments for each of those airlines here on FT ... maybe airlines' IT systems are more complicated than they get credit for here on FT ...
i don't recall any system-wide DL IT meltdowns of late. UA has had a handful of them in less than 3 years. YMMV.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i don't recall any system-wide DL IT meltdowns of late. UA has had a handful of them in less than 3 years. YMMV.
I can think of at least 1 IT "meltdown" at every major US carrier in the last year. I think Sabre has had more than 1.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Booked two tickets this morning around 7am and 4 hours later, they both finally ticketed with seat assignments "catch of the day'd"* and every time I go to change them, they won't stick

Maybe Air Jeff needs to add another gerbil to run around the wheel to help power the PoS PSS

*schrod
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:35 pm

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
too bad this didn't involve them offering tickets without YQ
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

When will UA concede that this computer system is a big mistake?
Jeff just did that, he also said until they can locate enough key punch machines they will do everything by hand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.