Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ExpressJet told United in January 2014 that it needs to cut flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpressJet told United in January 2014 that it needs to cut flying

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by spin88
I think there are more than enough pilots. The problem is that the starting salary of $22K/year does not get them in the cockpit or flight school. Many do other things, don't fly commercially, and some fly overseas.

The real issue is that what is needed is to double or more the pay for RJ pilots, and at that point RJ costs - already very high - go up further. The airlines don't want to pay more, so the result is what you see with UAL - flight cuts/cancellations. United however, with its much larger RJ fleet is really exposed here.
Correct. That's what I meant when I said upthread there is no pilot shortage. There are thousands of qualified, or will-be-qualified, young people who would like a career in commercial aviation but will not submit to the combination of the 1500-hour threshold and sub-$20k starting pay.

My kid is in this cohort. He's been flying for six years, since he was 14, and wants nothing more than to occupy the flight deck for a US carrier. But circumstances have him looking at almost anything else instead, from a career with NOAA (he's also getting a climatology degree) to ATC to even flying in Asia or the ME. And he says the aviation-prep programs at his university and elsewhere are shedding students right and left as they (and their parents, with their checkbooks) wise up to the horrid economic status quo.

Staffing at the regionals is sliding into chaos / crisis as the ranks reduce and few are dumb / desperate enough to sign on for training. It's going to get worse before it gets better. At some point the ticket-of-entry requirements have to modify or US aviation will suffer in a macro sense.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
UA has 540 regional aircraft. DL has 544. AA/US is about the same too.
This has been pointed out to spin88 many times, but he keeps repeating as fact that UA is especially exposed to a RJ crisis.

All the majors are going to have to start paying more for regional flying, which means that the only way they can justify it is by flying the bigger RJs or returning flights to mainline. Sounds like a win for us, even if ticket prices are a little higher ^
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has 540 regional aircraft. DL has 544. AA/US is about the same too.
Each of the three flies about the same number of regional planes, but regional planes comprise a much larger proportion of the UA fleet.

From the 10-Ks recently filed (all as of 12/31/13), UA had 572 regional planes and 693 mainline planes.

New AA, on the other hand, had 559 regional planes (slightly fewer than UA) and had 965 mainline planes. UA's network is far more reliant on regional planes than is AA's network.

The story is the same at DL; as of 12/31, DL had 532 regional planes (fewer than UA or AA) and had 743 mainline planes.

In terms of absolute size, UA has the largest regional fleet. In terms of relative size, the UA regional fleet is the largest by far.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andrewwm
This has been pointed out to spin88 many times, but he keeps repeating as fact that UA is especially exposed to a RJ crisis.
Given that UA's RJ's are a larger proportion of UA's overall fleet, spin88 is correct.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Given that UA's RJ's are a larger proportion of UA's overall fleet, spin88 is correct.
Never mind that that is not what was said.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
are we quibbling over "much larger fleet" vs "much larger percentage of the fleet"?

Since UA based on 12/31/13 10-K has the largest RJ fleet (maybe not "much" larger in absolute count) but percentage 45% versus the nearest DL of 40%

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 1, 2014 at 3:47 pm Reason: added numbers
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:23 pm

How about hrs flown per rj. And, ability to fly hub to hub?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You're free to quote him. Good multi-quote example in the latest PRASM thread :-:
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I fly out of South Texas (BRO-Brownsville, HRL-Harlingen, and MFE-Mcallen) on a weekly basis. Lately I've noticed an increased number of cancelled flights out of these airports. I have no basis to say if it's coincidence or a true increase, as I don't have access to that data. What I do know is that at least once a week the first morning flight out of one of these airports (en route to IAH) is cancelled. It's like gambling trying to figure out which airport is the least unreliable. Last week I had the 5:20am flight from BRO to IAH cancel, so the United rep directed me to HRL. After arriving at the gate at the second airport, we were told the crew was just arriving and we would board about 30 minutes late. A few moments later, we were told the flight was delayed for over 5 hours. I had to get a taxi for approx $100 to drive me to MFE and luckily got on their 7am flight. Is this due to pilot shortage, or does anyone have some insight? What I could find online is that approx. 1 in 20 ExpressJet flights is cancelled on a daily basis. This seems a bit excessive. It's one thing to have to ride in one of these jets, and another to plan to, and be unable to.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by donjo
I fly out of South Texas (BRO-Brownsville, HRL-Harlingen, and MFE-Mcallen) on a weekly basis. Lately I've noticed an increased number of cancelled flights out of these airports. I have no basis to say if it's coincidence or a true increase, as I don't have access to that data. What I do know is that at least once a week the first morning flight out of one of these airports (en route to IAH) is cancelled. It's like gambling trying to figure out which airport is the least unreliable. Last week I had the 5:20am flight from BRO to IAH cancel, so the United rep directed me to HRL. After arriving at the gate at the second airport, we were told the crew was just arriving and we would board about 30 minutes late. A few moments later, we were told the flight was delayed for over 5 hours. I had to get a taxi for approx $100 to drive me to MFE and luckily got on their 7am flight. Is this due to pilot shortage, or does anyone have some insight? What I could find online is that approx. 1 in 20 ExpressJet flights is cancelled on a daily basis. This seems a bit excessive. It's one thing to have to ride in one of these jets, and another to plan to, and be unable to.
They're actually getting better, but it's grim.

South Texas to IAH, year to date:
Code:
   month    | on_time | cancels 
------------+---------+---------
 2014-01-01 | 71%     | 10.4%
 2014-02-01 | 68%     | 4.6%
 2014-03-01 | 79%     | 3.5%
 2014-04-01 | 87%     | 2.8%
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.