Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

13 February 2014 East Coast Winter Storm Travel Waivers & Impact to UA's Ops.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

13 February 2014 East Coast Winter Storm Travel Waivers & Impact to UA's Ops.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Yikes, hope my EWR-LHR flight gets out on Friday. Either way, I'm sure it will be pretty packed given the mess on Thursday.
I'm in the same boat (plane?) and not too worried. The latest forecast looks like snow overnight tonight with a mess of a commute tomorrow morning. As long as they can get a 777, a few 757s, and a 767 to EWR by tomorrow evening I don't think we'll have a problem.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rebooking from tomorrow to today from the Mid-Atlantic is looking very smart right now. I just hope the flights operate: at least the hub weather looks OK. The worst would be getting your flight cancelled, and then getting stuck in the storm.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist
Just changed my flight tomorrow (Thursday) from ZFV-EWR-PDX (with a mid-afternoon EWR-departure) to EWR-IAH-PDX (departing EWR @ 5:25am).

Fingers crossed EWR is semi-clear at that hour.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Marriott
11/12 February East Coast Winter Storm Travel Waivers and Impact to UA's Operations

I see many people changing flights to early Thursday. I believe the weather is forecasted to start around midnight early Thursday. Why is a 5AM flight more likely to get out than a 1PM?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by unvested
I see many people changing flights to early Thursday. I believe the weather is forecasted to start around midnight early Thursday. Why is a 5AM flight more likely to get out than a 1PM?
Because the plane is then already there? Always a better chance for a flight to occur when it's the plane's first flight of the day. There's a ripple effect to flights later in the day when bad weather occurs. My plane tomorrow is going CLT-IAD-JAX-ORD before getting to the airport I'm departing from in the Northeast...not too confident it's going to make it to me.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bluedog423
Because the plane is then already there? Always a better chance for a flight to occur when it's the plane's first flight of the day. There's a ripple effect to flights later in the day when bad weather occurs. My plane tomorrow is going CLT-IAD-JAX-ORD before getting to the airport I'm departing from in the Northeast...not too confident it's going to make it to me.
+1. And sometimes they can keep the runways open for a bit until it becomes overwhelming.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by drewguy
+1. And sometimes they can keep the runways open for a bit until it becomes overwhelming.
Yeah, understand the dynamics. However, I would think that ~6 hours into the weather system travel delays would already have the full impact. I've got a flight to STT at 9:24 tomorrow - my guess is that plane is not going to leave...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:39 am
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Why are you worried about that flight? I have some confidence travel will be back on some reasonable track by then.
It's an early AM flight, so I could be screwed if the inbound is cancelled on Thursday. Yes, I'm still reasonably confident I'll be able to get out. My point was that UA in is being less flexible than all the other major carriers out of DC.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
so originally i was CVG-IAD-DXB on 13th and I moved it to 2/12. Then today morning, UA cxl my CVG-IAD flight and rebooked me into Y for tomorrow via DEN. Its crazy! I am still debating if I should leave via ORD-ZRH-DXB even tonight..
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by lodemia
As a UA Plat - I have taken advantage of this three times this year, and the quality of response has been fantastic - including rebooking me on US iron for a flight. I have mostly* avoided any of the nastiness, even though ORD is my home airport.
I was in PHL on that December storm that seemed to get everyone off guard (calling for a dusting starting at 5pm on the Sunday, instead it started at 11am and snowed like a foot - there was a home Eagle's game everyone was talking about). Sitting at the gate for PHL-CLE-IND going home, waiting for the delay the post. The gate agent paged all passengers headed to Indianapolis and proactively rebooked us on US direct PHL-IND flight in an attempt to get us home rather than stranded in CLE.

US managed to screw that up... Kept delaying the flight, and then cancelled it but it never posted on their systems - at 11pm it still showed "Delayed: 5:30pm" on their website and when the agents in the Club looked it up. They took an on time departure at a 5:45pm flight, leaving us on the 2:30 in the lurch to fend for ourselves (it was overbooked to begin with). Ended up getting on a flight that arrived in SDF at 2am, staying overnight, and driving home the next day.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: status free since 2017
I don't believe tomorrow any flights will take-off past early morning.

Question is - Given LGAs lack of preparedness for snow, will their operations be back up by Friday evening?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by noah
I'm supposed to fly BHX-EWR-PDX on Friday.

Alternative options are
1) Leave at 6:15am on LH via FRA (BHX-FRA-SFO/ORD-PDX) and get in around the same time; that 3:45 of missed sleep will hurt
2) Leave at 11am via LH via MUC (BHX-MUC-ORD-PDX) and get in around 11pm; the later departure is nice, but will miss putting my kids to bed.

Weather looks okay so far, but since I'm in Z, the idea of getting onto LH metal is appealing.

Advice?
I couldn't decide what to do, but ultimately decided that it would be prudent to try and avoid EWR. ^ to the UA agents here in the UK who re-booked me to fly BHX-FRA-SEA-PDX. that only Y was available from BHX to FRA (and of course SEA-PDX), but ^^^^ that somehow my SEA-FRA flight booked into A(!) so I'm very excited for my first visit to the new LH F...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Feb 12 2014: UA Canceling All Flights Into NYC for Today

OK this is don't understand. Just got a text my flt into EWR today, arriving before snow is to arrive had been xld. Advised all flights today Into nyc area are being xld. I am rebooked for tomorrow when it may possibly be worse. Snow is not to start until after midnight so don't know why all the xls today.

I guess they don't want planes stuck there tomorrow?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cruisr
Exactly. It's better to park the planes where the weather is good than to have them sit out in the elements. It also makes it easier for the airport authority to clean up the airport if there aren't a lot of idle planes littering the ramp.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr
^ :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.