Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Access to most sold-out flights" (Economy only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy only, not First (Business) -- even for GS

Premier priority travel services
Access to most sold-out flights: Premier members may receive confirmed reservations - even when a flight is sold out - when purchasing certain full-fare tickets. Premier 1K® members may take advantage of this benefit when purchasing an unrestricted Y or B class ticket at least 90 minutes prior to departure. This benefit also applies to Premier Platinum members when purchasing an unrestricted Y class ticket at least 120 minutes prior to departure, and Premier Gold and Premier Silver members when purchasing an unrestricted Y class ticket at least 24 hours prior to departure.

Please contact the Premier Priority Desk or call the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) to reserve and purchase your flight.
Print Wikipost

"Access to most sold-out flights" (Economy only)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by raehl311
Why?

You and the GS both had tickets to fly that day.

Limited seats, number of passengers exceeds the number of limited seats, airline bumps you instead of him because they think he's more valuable.

You get IDB out of it, which is what the airline is obligated to do should they not fly you on a plane they said they would fly you on.

If you miss a multi-million-dollar meeting because of it, that's because you didn't purchase transportation appropriate for making sure you made your meeting.

"Your honor, I had a multi-million dollar meeting, and I bought the cheapest ticket I could, arriving at a time that gave me no margin of error should weather or other circumstances prevent me from traveling."
A bit harsh, no?! Often people with multi million dollar meetings don't have time to wait around!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
A bit harsh, no?! Often people with multi million dollar meetings don't have time to wait around!
I find this topic interesting. In the old days I was Solitaire with SQ. One of their published benefits was Solitaire members could buy (wiht $ or miles or by changing an existing reservation) a business class ticket on a fully sold out flight and you were guaranteed a seat in Coach (with a refund) or Business even if they had to boot a confirmed passenger off the flight.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
If he doesn't have time to wait around, he can buy the Y fare and be the last guy bumped off the flight.

It's commercial air travel. Delays/cancellations are part of the deal. Maybe this guy feels that if there are two planes going from A to B on day C, and plane A gets the flight cancelled, everyone on Plane B should get to go while everyone on Plane A is screwed, but they're United's planes, and United gets to decide who gets on Plane B, with contractual remedies for anyone they decide doesn't make it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Finally took advantage of the "Access to most sold-out flights" benefit

This one:

Access to most sold-out flights: Premier members may receive confirmed reservations - even when a flight is sold out - when purchasing certain full-fare tickets. Premier 1K® members may take advantage of this benefit when purchasing an unrestricted Y or B class ticket at least 90 minutes prior to departure. This benefit also applies to Premier Platinum members when purchasing an unrestricted Y class ticket at least 120 minutes prior to departure, and Premier Gold and Premier Silver members when purchasing an unrestricted Y class ticket at least 24 hours prior to departure.

Turns out that, in a late development, in order to make our eclipse trip work my SO needs to be home the night of August 21st, and every late afternoon/evening flight on all airlines is sold out.

First agent (with 22 years experience) had never heard of it, but managed to ticket her in Y for over $900. I know that unrestricted B was far cheaper, but figured I'd get the seat first and ask questions later.

Called back in an hour and got another experienced agent who had heard of this benefit, but had never actually ticketed anyone on it. She contacted her help desk, who confirmed that 1Ks can snag seats on sold-out flights in unrestricted B, and refared the flight down to about $450.

Note that both were pmUA agents; IIRC this was a Continental benefit. One of the agents said that on the old United, "when a flight's sold out, that's it".

There are some great benefits to being a 1K...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I've always wanted to test this benefit. There is a route I fly a lot for work that sometimes has sold out flights, and I've wondered how I would be able to exercise this benefit since we book through a corporate travel agency (CWT). I've wondered if I can book a B fare on a different flight / same route that has availability through our travel agency, and then call UA to switch onto the desired full flight since I have a B ticket. Has anyone ever tried this tactic?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Cool to read that it can book into B for a 1K. I'm pretty sure when the program launched as a UA benefit in 2007 it was called "BUY Y" ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-program.html ).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:39 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Are you flying to/from Jackson? That is indeed going to be a sold-out destination for this eclipse event!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
There is a limit to how far they will overbook any specific flight but its a great benefit
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
Are you flying to/from Jackson? That is indeed going to be a sold-out destination for this eclipse event!
IDA (Idaho Falls)-DEN

It was funny...when I mentioned the eclipse, she said "So that's why everybody's going to Nashville in August".
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Note that both were pmUA agents; IIRC this was a Continental benefit. One of the agents said that on the old United, "when a flight's sold out, that's it".

There are some great benefits to being a 1K...
It was definitely a PMUA benefit, FWIW.

I've only used it once, on IIRC IAD-ROA.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
IDA (Idaho Falls)-DEN

It was funny...when I mentioned the eclipse, she said "So that's why everybody's going to Nashville in August".
Yep--yet annoyingly, they downgauged my E170 to an E145 in August.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
It was definitely a PMUA benefit, FWIW.....
Guess the pmUA agent didn't ever deal with it in the old days.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Does UA still oversell full Y to 1K?

Can't find link. Can anyone advise?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The link in the prior thread is still correct.

Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, can a 1K buy a Y/B ticket SFO-HNL on a 747 November 7th, 2017? I imagine the IDB $ could be substantial. I guess the wording "Access to most sold-out flights " is UA's out on any particular flight. Bolding mine.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:34 am

I already tried buying Y on UA747. Had a great agent who was familiar with the benefit try multiple times and call the rate desk to no avail. There is obviously an internal limit on how far they will oversell hence the “most” statement.
IAH-OIL-TRASH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.