FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1549068-changes-awards-without-incurring-additional-miles-after-3-feb-2014-a.html)

JONEZY00 Mar 6, 2014 8:00 am

Changed ORD-DTW-FRA-TXL in Y/J to IAD-FRA-TXL in J same date, completed online no miles change.

FlyingDoctorwu Mar 6, 2014 8:03 am

So, after landing in BKK from JOG (Separate ticket) I opened my phone and discovered that availability had opened up on FRA-IAD..... So I called United to change my FRA-MUC-IAD to FRA-IAD in LH F.... about 25 minutes into processing the change, I get cut off... I then gather my bags, head to the TG F checkin area and try again... it took exactly 57 minutes to process the change (and my desired flights were already in the system) and reissue the tickets... they did, waive the change fee because of the lengthy time (I didn't even ask)....

FDW

grimjack2k Mar 6, 2014 7:14 pm

Called in to change a pre-3/2 award:

From YUL-IAD-ALB to YUL-ORD-IAD-ALB (later flights) in I (although the original itinerary had IAD-ALB in X with a waitlist for I.

First Call: Explained the change (several other segments, including two TATL on AC, to remain unchanged). Had to read out the specific flight numbers, correct the agent when I was told there were no BF seats available on two of the flights. Then the ugly: 40k additional miles (in addition to the 100k for the initial award).

I argued that this was only a routing change, not a city change, etc, etc. The agent countered that I was now going through Chicago (who cares? Still YUL->ALB regarding of connecting cities). She called her 'support person'. 10 minute hold. No can do. "Ok, thanks, don't change anything. I'll stick with original flights. Bye."

Second Call: Same - 40k more miles, because I "already changed the ticket after Feb 3rd". Not true. The only change was in January due to an involuntary schedule change. I explained again that I had been told that if there were no changes to origin/destination/stopover then the original mileage cost should hold up. On hold for 20 minutes. No problems, just pay the general member change fee. I give my credit card details then oops... the system won't let me save it. On hold for 25 minutes. Same deal - the system shows that a change was made after 2/3 (incorrect) and we can't change anything without the additional 40k miles. When I asked why, then, if I made a change after 2/3, you didn't charge me the 40k miles then. No good answer, it's just what the system is showing....

Should I even bother trying again? The change is not that life-shattering (it will just let me sleep in before the final leg of a long trip). I'd hate to have a segment fall into a black hole if there is too much jiggering with the record. I didn't even mention that the change that would incur 40k additional miles could be bought outright for 25k miles (inside North America BF one-way saver)...

Duke787 Mar 8, 2014 1:08 pm

Here's a new one made one last change to an award ticket leaving a week from Thursday. The first time I called in the person incorrectly changed it to the flight I wanted but put me in business. I noticed immediately and called back in and had it changed to F. No problems the entire ticket was already F and no additional miles needed.

Except I never got an email with the new ticket number. Called in this morning, CSR said she would email it to me. 2 hours later nothing. Called back - CSR based in SLC put me on hold and said "this ticket has been changed 12 times so it has to be manually issued - and it won't be until Monday because it's the weekend and tech support has to do it." Last I looked there wasn't a maximum number of changes permitted listed anywhere on the UA website :rolleyes:

The kicker is I have the actual ticket number (pulled from the TG website and verified via Saudia and further verified by the CSR). So I assume all is well but now I have to worry about UA IT screwing it up. Always fun when you've been perfecting and fine tuning a ticket for 11 months and you're nearly at the departure date :rolleyes:

Thankfully I have saved PDFs of the Saudia website showing the ticket and the PNRs for each partner still correctly shows the ticket and seat assignments. If I don't see something by Monday I'll be sure to contact UA Insider and see what the deal is.

Shareholder Mar 8, 2014 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 22473164)
So, after landing in BKK from JOG (Separate ticket) I opened my phone and discovered that availability had opened up on FRA-IAD..... So I called United to change my FRA-MUC-IAD to FRA-IAD in LH F.... about 25 minutes into processing the change, I get cut off... I then gather my bags, head to the TG F checkin area and try again... it took exactly 57 minutes to process the change (and my desired flights were already in the system) and reissue the tickets... they did, waive the change fee because of the lengthy time (I didn't even ask)....

FDW

Good to know. I'm hoping to get onto the FRA-IAD B748i on my return in the fall when LH inventory in F opens up. Currently holding LH FRA-LHR(C) UA LHR-IAD(F). Also hoping for the outbound to open up so I can change from UA F to LH F on the same plane.

AndyInSaigon Mar 8, 2014 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 22487867)
Good to know. I'm hoping to get onto the FRA-IAD B748i on my return in the fall when LH inventory in F opens up. Currently holding LH FRA-LHR(C) UA LHR-IAD(F). Also hoping for the outbound to open up so I can change from UA F to LH F on the same plane.

I'm watching pretty much the same. I have BKK-FRA in TG F & FRA-ORD in LH C on a 748 in 10 days. I'm anxious for F to open. I flew 748 F a few months ago & it's very nice. Good luck!

OT: the main reason I want to score LH F is the FRA First Class Terminal! The last time I was there I was too embarrassed to start drinking at 7a. I've recovered from that silliness.

Happy Mar 8, 2014 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 22487706)
Here's a new one made one last change to an award ticket leaving a week from Thursday. The first time I called in the person incorrectly changed it to the flight I wanted but put me in business. I noticed immediately and called back in and had it changed to F. No problems the entire ticket was already F and no additional miles needed.

Except I never got an email with the new ticket number. Called in this morning, CSR said she would email it to me. 2 hours later nothing. Called back - CSR based in SLC put me on hold and said "this ticket has been changed 12 times so it has to be manually issued - and it won't be until Monday because it's the weekend and tech support has to do it." Last I looked there wasn't a maximum number of changes permitted listed anywhere on the UA website :rolleyes:

The kicker is I have the actual ticket number (pulled from the TG website and verified via Saudia and further verified by the CSR). So I assume all is well but now I have to worry about UA IT screwing it up. Always fun when you've been perfecting and fine tuning a ticket for 11 months and you're nearly at the departure date :rolleyes:

Thankfully I have saved PDFs of the Saudia website showing the ticket and the PNRs for each partner still correctly shows the ticket and seat assignments. If I don't see something by Monday I'll be sure to contact UA Insider and see what the deal is.

If all you want is a e-ticket receipt, just call and follow the phone tree to reach the option of Request Receipt - that would kick out the stuck e-ticket to be promptly sent to your email address on record.

Or, you can go online to do Add Email to your PNR, then request a receipt sent - it would also do the trick.

All my award tickets that required manual ticketing, at some point the reissued tickets just would not come no matter what, even though the tickets were reissued and verified by multiple sources - Saudi's and Partner's sites. IT would not need to get involved if the tickets are already issued. In your case, it sounds the tickets have already been issued - new ticket number, verified on multiple sites.

Originally Posted by jacped (Post 22440257)
Using the website, made the following changes:
Original: BKK-DXB-CAI-LHR-YYZ....ORD-IAD-JNB//JNB-BKK-PNH
New: PNH-BKK-JNB//JNB-FRA-ORD....ORD-VIE-DXB-BKK-PNH

Dates changes both ends and obviously carrier changes too. Not sure if I'm more amazed that this remained 65k miles or that this was possible to do on the website!

Wow!

The original ticket route thru Middle East from Asia to North America and then route thru Africa from North America to Asia with only 65K miles was amazing enough.

And then it changed to Asia route thru Africa/Europe to North America, North America route thru Europe and Middle East to Asia.

Such a complicated itinerary and it is done successfully online. Wow!

dukerau Mar 8, 2014 10:42 pm

I booked a one-way in Y back in October (Europe-U.S.). I saw today that there is a seat in J available on the same exact flights. I just went started clicking through the process to change my flights to J, but the price is showing as just 20K. From reports here I thought it would be 40K. Will it error out if I go through showing 20K?

Also, does anyone know if United cancels the original eticket and reissues a new ticket number or do they just reissue the same ticket number if you change an award from Y to J, same exact flights? I should have 6K Citi flight points pending since I got this one in before the buzzer, but from what I've read if the eticket is cancelled, Citi doesn't credit, while if it's reissued, flight points should post.

SFOvacations Mar 9, 2014 1:10 am

Change from UGLY to manageable...took 2 separate changes as flights opened up

ATH-IST (TK J)
IST-DUB (TK J)
DUB-JFK (EI J)
LGA-CLE (UA Y)
CLE-LAX (UA J)
LAX-SFO (UA J)

to

ATH-MUC (A3 J)
MUC-JFK (LH J)
EWR-LAX (UA J)
LAX-SFO (UAJ)

FlyingDoctorwu Mar 9, 2014 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 22487867)

Good luck. I actually did the same. I watched loads like a hawk on EF and both times I was convinced I wouldn't get on. I needed two seats. F loads were f4 and I knew that from following previous flights that two seats would open up at T-3. Unfortunately I didn't know what time at T-3. I slept from 10 pm to 4 am and the loads went to F2. I actually switched to the ewr fra flight at that point. At t-30 hours the iAd fra flight went back to f3 and two seats were released. The return was even dicier because the flight was f4 >15 days out. In fact at t-3 it was f1. So I routes via MUC. At t-24 the flight went to F3 and I kept refreshing aero plan and I watched as two seats were released. It's very very nerve racking but if you're only looking for 1 seat it's gotta be easier. EF is great for monitoring loads and aero plan is great for checking for real availability. Plus if the muc iAd flight is operating that flight has great F availability. It went out empty on the day I returned (plus fra iAd lands during rush hour which sucked getting back home).

FDW.

FriendlySkies Mar 10, 2014 7:53 am

Have an r/t from MCI-AKL, with a stop-over in NRT on the return.

The return flights were HND-PEK-IAH on Air China C, and then IAH-MCI on UA Y. Wasn't really a fan of transiting China, so I've been watching closely for award space to open up from NRT/HND-USA.

Successfully changed the return to:

NRT-SEA (ANA 787 C)
SEA-SFO UA F
SFO-MCI UX F

Even got back $6.00 in taxes. ^

Duke787 Mar 10, 2014 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 22489176)
If all you want is a e-ticket receipt, just call and follow the phone tree to reach the option of Request Receipt - that would kick out the stuck e-ticket to be promptly sent to your email address on record.

Or, you can go online to do Add Email to your PNR, then request a receipt sent - it would also do the trick.

All my award tickets that required manual ticketing, at some point the reissued tickets just would not come no matter what, even though the tickets were reissued and verified by multiple sources - Saudi's and Partner's sites. IT would not need to get involved if the tickets are already issued. In your case, it sounds the tickets have already been issued - new ticket number, verified on multiple sites.

I've unfortunately tried both those methods and no dice. Will have to call back when I get a chance today and see if this alleged manual ticketing has / will be occurring today

blitzen Mar 10, 2014 11:29 am

Successful Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after Feb. 3

Tried to look for just one person to see the difference between business and first ( was only showing fort 1 person).
Result I now have 2 PNR ( just for checking :( )
But it showed.a 0 mile difference for united first compared to my current LH business ticket
Very weird ( didn't go through with it as it was another flight and my wife would kill me if we take different flights to Europe)

nlfmanager Mar 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Changed from J to F

Was booked on ANA flights Del-NRT-SFO in J for 60K miles

Changed to DEL-BKK (J, seated in F-seat on TG 747), BKK-NRT (TG F A380), NRT-SFO (UA 747 F)

$50 UA Silver change fee + 20K miles.

Kacee Mar 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by nlfmanager (Post 22498283)
Was booked on ANA flights Del-NRT-SFO in J for 60K miles

Changed to DEL-BKK (J, seated in F-seat on TG 747), BKK-NRT (TG F A380), NRT-SFO (UA 747 F)

$50 UA Silver change fee + 20K miles.

They made a mistake. That should have been +80k miles for old J to new TG F.