Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Press Conference called regarding United’s future at CLE [Good night Cleveland...]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Per Cleveland Airport System press release (dead link):

Eliminated CLE service:
April: BTV, BDL, MHT, MSN, YUL, OKC, PHL, PBI, PVD, RDU
May: CLT, MDT (announced Mar 31), SDF, MSP, BNA, PIT (announced Mar 31)
June: ALB (announced Mar 31), ATL, AUS, BWI (announced Mar 31), BFD*, BUF, CMH, DAY, DUJ* (pushed to October because of EAS regulations), ERI, FNT, FKL*, GRR, GSP, MDT, IND, JHW*, MCI, MSY, PKB* (pushed to October because of EAS regulations), PHX, PIT, RIC, ROC, SYR, YYZ
October: DUJ, PKB (due to DOT EAS regulations)
Per Cleveland FOX 8 report (announced on Dec 3):
March 5, 2015: DFW
April 7, 2015: RSW, FLL, TPA

*Essential Air Service Subject to DOT approval

From Cleveland.com article on March 31, 2014:
"United will cease offering regional service from Cleveland to Albany and Baltimore effective June 5, and will end service from Cleveland to Harrisburg and Pittsburgh on April 30 as opposed to June, as originally planned," United spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said.
"Replacement" Routes:
  • FNT-ORD (3x daily), ERI-ORD (2x daily) (Starts June 5)
  • IAD-PKB, IAD-DUJ (3x daily) by 3M (Silver Airways, codeshare with UA, but not UAX) (Starts Oct 1)
mduell (Post #125) lists the following UA destinations not served by any other UA hubs. These airports might have UA service eliminated entirely, unless other flights are scheduled.
Eliminated UA service: DUJ, PKB (now serviced by 3M, Silver Airways, a codeshare partner of UA, not a UAX carrier, Per gusd (Post #898))
Possible eliminated UA service: BFD, FKL, JHW

Per SteveHK screenshot (Post #75):

Nonstop service kept: ALB, BWI (announced Mar 31), ORD, DEN, IAH, LAX, EWR, SFO, IAD, BOS, DCA, DFW, FLL, (announced Dec 3) LAS, LGA, MCO, MKE, RSW, (announced Dec 3) STL, TPA (announced Dec 3)

Seasonal service kept: CUN, CHS, NAS, SJU

Discrepancies:
  • MIA & PWM not mentioned in Cleveland Airport System press release, but mentioned in the screenshot.

New peak day departures: 72 (-64%, from 199)
New peak day nonstop destinations: 20 (-66%, from 58)
New peak day seats: 6,121 (-51%, from 12,384)

New schedule: From @United (twitter) interaction with Surface Interval : We’ll be reducing flights in Cleveland beginning in April, with the new schedule available starting Feb. 8, 2014. And should be complete by Feb. 11, 2014, according to this mass e-mail from UA: "Over the next several days, we will be updating our flight schedules, which could result in changes to the flight times for your trip. If that does happen, we will send you an email with an updated itinerary on or before February 11. You may also review your itinerary any time at united.com."
Print Wikipost

Press Conference called regarding United’s future at CLE [Good night Cleveland...]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The city found out today it made the final cut with Dallas to host the 2016 Republican National Convention. I wonder if loosing the UA hub will be a drawback to be selected to host the convention. Denver did not make the final cut even with it's larger airport and hub operations so maybe this will not be a factor. United mentioned if we got a convention they would add flights.
They did this due to the Republicans needing Ohio, and they will get more publicity. They can care less about United's flights to CLE.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by entropy
The current arrangement is indeed quite poor. They certainly have the space to have a consolidated facility onsite. Onsite is faster, more efficient and in general, much better.

Agree, Agree. I like getting off the plane and getting the car right at the airport. FLL a city I go to lots is my favorite, cars right across from the terminal. CLE was one of the first cities to have the consolidated off site rental center built in 1999, cars moved from the airport to construct concourse D.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Agree, Agree. I like getting off the plane and getting the car right at the airport. FLL a city I go to lots is my favorite, cars right across from the terminal. CLE was one of the first cities to have the consolidated off site rental center built in 1999, cars moved from the airport to construct concourse D.
It's such a pain. PIT is a very fair comparison to CLE, especially these days, and PIT has the cars in the garage that's connected to the terminal
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:27 pm
RNE

The city found out today it made the final cut with Dallas to host the 2016 Republican National Convention. I wonder if loosing the UA hub will be a drawback to be selected to host the convention. Denver did not make the final cut even with it's larger airport and hub operations so maybe this will not be a factor. United mentioned if we got a convention they would add flights.
If the RNC had any smarts, it'd pick Cleveland to curry favor with Ohioans and keep the state out of the Democrat's column. But watch; they'll pick Dallas.

RNE, noting that no Republican president has won the White House without also winning Ohio.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I haven't been to the A concourse in a long time - I see that there's a new Sammy's Beach Bar and a Starbucks over by the American gates in A. Nearby padded window seating with power outlets.

Also noticed that TSA now has a Pre-Check enrollment desk downstairs in baggage claim where the Sheraton hotel desk was located. The Sheraton hotel desk always seemed like a weird concept to me - it was hardly ever staffed and the hotel is right there on airport property.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paule123
I haven't been to the A concourse in a long time - I see that there's a new Sammy's Beach Bar and a Starbucks over by the American gates in A. Nearby padded window seating with power outlets.
I was in A last week for my first time in six years. When I was there, the line for Starbucks must have been two dozen people long stretching down the concourse
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:58 pm

It looks like southwest has added a phoenix flight at the end of december. Anyone have any insight as to if that will just be seasonal?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
No need for AA, F9 and WN NS to PHX.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:39 pm

Certainly no need, Makes a bit of sense for US/AA and WN. I'll be happy with the increased options for connections, especially places like Burbank/ San diego. US air serves alot of smaller airports over there.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:02 am

Remember both American and Southwest can carry passengers beyond PHX. I think the Frontier flight is only seasonal and does not operate every day.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
UA CLE MCO on the weekend specials this week. Not a good sign never remember seeing that as a hub. Especially in the heavy summer months with WDW travel. Looks like F9 is more than stimulating traffic its grabbing traffic as well.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:50 pm

No data to support this comment. Fl does not have weekend service
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
UA CLE MCO on the weekend specials this week. Not a good sign never remember seeing that as a hub. Especially in the heavy summer months with WDW travel. Looks like F9 is more than stimulating traffic its grabbing traffic as well.

On occasion CLE-TPA was offered as a weekend special. Out of EWR they offered FLL and PBI weekend specials.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Originally Posted by trk1
coplatua1k said F9 not FL. Frontier flies CLE-MCO every Friday and Saturday in July and every Saturday in August as well as Friday 8/1 and 8/8.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by trk1

F9 drives traffic by flight not date, F9 passengers fly when the planes goes, not always when they want to fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.