Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Press Conference called regarding United’s future at CLE [Good night Cleveland...]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Per Cleveland Airport System press release (dead link):

Eliminated CLE service:
April: BTV, BDL, MHT, MSN, YUL, OKC, PHL, PBI, PVD, RDU
May: CLT, MDT (announced Mar 31), SDF, MSP, BNA, PIT (announced Mar 31)
June: ALB (announced Mar 31), ATL, AUS, BWI (announced Mar 31), BFD*, BUF, CMH, DAY, DUJ* (pushed to October because of EAS regulations), ERI, FNT, FKL*, GRR, GSP, MDT, IND, JHW*, MCI, MSY, PKB* (pushed to October because of EAS regulations), PHX, PIT, RIC, ROC, SYR, YYZ
October: DUJ, PKB (due to DOT EAS regulations)
Per Cleveland FOX 8 report (announced on Dec 3):
March 5, 2015: DFW
April 7, 2015: RSW, FLL, TPA

*Essential Air Service Subject to DOT approval

From Cleveland.com article on March 31, 2014:
"United will cease offering regional service from Cleveland to Albany and Baltimore effective June 5, and will end service from Cleveland to Harrisburg and Pittsburgh on April 30 as opposed to June, as originally planned," United spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said.
"Replacement" Routes:
  • FNT-ORD (3x daily), ERI-ORD (2x daily) (Starts June 5)
  • IAD-PKB, IAD-DUJ (3x daily) by 3M (Silver Airways, codeshare with UA, but not UAX) (Starts Oct 1)
mduell (Post #125) lists the following UA destinations not served by any other UA hubs. These airports might have UA service eliminated entirely, unless other flights are scheduled.
Eliminated UA service: DUJ, PKB (now serviced by 3M, Silver Airways, a codeshare partner of UA, not a UAX carrier, Per gusd (Post #898))
Possible eliminated UA service: BFD, FKL, JHW

Per SteveHK screenshot (Post #75):

Nonstop service kept: ALB, BWI (announced Mar 31), ORD, DEN, IAH, LAX, EWR, SFO, IAD, BOS, DCA, DFW, FLL, (announced Dec 3) LAS, LGA, MCO, MKE, RSW, (announced Dec 3) STL, TPA (announced Dec 3)

Seasonal service kept: CUN, CHS, NAS, SJU

Discrepancies:
  • MIA & PWM not mentioned in Cleveland Airport System press release, but mentioned in the screenshot.

New peak day departures: 72 (-64%, from 199)
New peak day nonstop destinations: 20 (-66%, from 58)
New peak day seats: 6,121 (-51%, from 12,384)

New schedule: From @United (twitter) interaction with Surface Interval : We’ll be reducing flights in Cleveland beginning in April, with the new schedule available starting Feb. 8, 2014. And should be complete by Feb. 11, 2014, according to this mass e-mail from UA: "Over the next several days, we will be updating our flight schedules, which could result in changes to the flight times for your trip. If that does happen, we will send you an email with an updated itinerary on or before February 11. You may also review your itinerary any time at united.com."
Print Wikipost

Press Conference called regarding United’s future at CLE [Good night Cleveland...]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Not sure if this means anything or is a simple mistake, but I happened to be looking at the terminal map on ua.com and now under CLE concourse B is listed as "United and United Express"... a sign of things to come?

I wasn't reading too much into it as it's probably a mistake but it would be interesting to know which gates UA plans to use post June 3. We know they are consolidating in C but will they actually use all of them?

I'm aware they are making lease payments for many years to come so it seems unlikely there would be any carrier shuffling in the short term.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:55 pm

I for one, am happy for that new PHX flight, opens up alot of easy and flexible redemptions to anywhere in the SW. While F9 will serve its purpose, I likely won't use it too often due to limited flexibility, although I did see the trenton flights at $39 o/w one day before departure recently. IF flights are $200 r/t to florida I could see alot of people making weekend trips to florida.

As for the rental car facility? Garbage. Cleveland just got Uber and Lyft, so if you're not going to far away that could be a good option. Note: they will not pick you up at the airport, however you could take the rapid transit (train) up 1+ stop and they could collect you there. I feel sorry for business travelers that have to put up with the rental car madness.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by SealBeach
Another awful aspect of the car rental operation at Hopkins is the buses. Rather than shoot for a vendor that could provide top-tier bus service (of the kind that Hertz and Avis provide), Ricky S. apparently went for the lowest common denominator. The drivers are cranky and would rather stand around on the sidewalk smoking than help passengers with their luggage. IIRC at the airport itself, there's no shelter for pax waiting to get aboard for their bone-jarring ride to the rental center. Buses are sometimes packed and the luggage is all over the aisle. On one trip, the driver handed the PA microphone to some small children so they could sing on the way to the rental car center (cute, but not exactly what businesspeople want to hear). And for the privilege of being subjected to this wonderful service, people renting cars in CLE pay some of the highest car rental taxes in the country (in part to support the new football stadium).
I agree with both of you ... being originally from CLE and then leaving and getting a car or two out of there ... all I can say is I love my Hertz Platinum status where the car pickup is a necessity .... some days I think the 100th Bomb Group restaurant is closer then the rental car place ... oh wait it is ....
Old May 21, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Not sure if this means anything or is a simple mistake, but I happened to be looking at the terminal map on ua.com and now under CLE concourse B is listed as "United and United Express"... a sign of things to come?

I wasn't reading too much into it as it's probably a mistake but it would be interesting to know which gates UA plans to use post June 3. We know they are consolidating in C but will they actually use all of them?

I'm aware they are making lease payments for many years to come so it seems unlikely there would be any carrier shuffling in the short term.

Remember what happened after the 1986 hub closure, UA eventually moved it's operations from C to B also moved it's ticket counter and CO took over it. That is why this scenario brings back painful memories. UA had approximenetly 100 flights in 1986 most mainline which dwindled down to about 12 to ORD, IAD, and DEN but DEN service was cut too since CO took that route.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE

United, pre-merger, used a couple gates towards the end of B concourse, just before you reach the Southwest gates. Now those old UA gates are an "art display" The map probably hasn't been updated since the PMUA flights were moved to C concourse.

Since you got me looking, the United mobile app terminal map appears to not have been updated since 2012. Shows Southwest and Frontier in the old positions next to United counter, and Air Canada over on the other side where Southwest is now. Now there's a place where Jeff can cut costs. Fire the "Point Inside" company that produces those pathetic terminal maps. Worst implementation of a mobile mapping application I've ever seen. Completely worthless.

Last edited by paule123; May 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 9:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paule123
United, pre-merger, used a couple gates towards the end of B concourse, just before you reach the Southwest gates. Now those old UA gates are an "art display" The map probably hasn't been updated since the PMUA flights were moved to C concourse. :rolleyes
I remember those days. I think they had a Red Carpet Club there that may have be unstaffed.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by CMK10
I remember those days. I think they had a Red Carpet Club there that may have be unstaffed.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ist-close.html
Old May 22, 2014, 7:33 am

Why would they want to close the club, UA will at this for now have more flights out of CLE then any non hub airport and as a comparison PIT, CVG, and STL have clubs. UA has already distroyed enough. I am not even sure why UA has expanded their advertisements at Progressive Field.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why would they want to close the club, UA will at this for now have more flights out of CLE then any non hub airport and as a comparison PIT, CVG, and STL have clubs. UA has already distroyed enough. I am not even sure why UA has expanded their advertisements at Progressive Field.
Clubs cater primarily to business travelers. If the cost of running the club isn't enough to make a difference in how much business travel UA brings in, then they'd consider closing it.

Regarding the ads at Jacobs Field -- you said yourself that UA still has a major presence at Hopkins, and presumably they want to make the most of it. Given all the negative press about the UA service reductions at Hopkins, I'm sure there are people around who would subconsciously "book away" from UA. The ads reinforce the fact that UA a) is still around at CLE and b) still wants people's business.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:21 am

UA has already distroyed enough.
UA hasn't distroyed [sic] anything. They've presumably done what they think will create shareholder value. The way to destroy things like airlines is to keep investing or pouring money into a station or hub (for sentimental or other reasons) when the investment isn't turning a profit (or at a minimum breaking even), or when the investment is turning less of a profit than if the money was put elsewhere. That's why the UA agreement with Hopkins about keeping the hub open is based almost exclusively on profit and loss figures.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
No worries they are not closing the UA club. That was about the closure of the old RCC in B, access was with a code.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:19 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
No worries they are not closing the UA club. That was about the closure of the old RCC in B, access was with a code.
United's overlords at Chase won't permit the closer of clubs. Such action makes the Club Card less attractive.

RNE, besides Chase, I forbid CLE's club closure.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:22 pm

I am trying to remember United did have a Red Carpet Club on C before they moved but not sure where it was. It was not the location of the current former CO Presidents club as that was built new in the 1990's. Does anyone remember.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
UA hasn't distroyed [sic] anything. They've presumably done what they think will create shareholder value. The way to destroy things like airlines is to keep investing or pouring money into a station or hub (for sentimental or other reasons) when the investment isn't turning a profit (or at a minimum breaking even), or when the investment is turning less of a profit than if the money was put elsewhere. That's why the UA agreement with Hopkins about keeping the hub open is based almost exclusively on profit and loss figures.
Well, $misek has been chipping away at shareholder value the last 2 years. He went from $2 Billion in merger revenue synergies to promising to cut to get 2 billion in cost savings. (over 75% of course was long planned fleet replacement and maintenance, so not very impressive.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I am trying to remember United did have a Red Carpet Club on C before they moved but not sure where it was. It was not the location of the current former CO Presidents club as that was built new in the 1990's. Does anyone remember.

Original RCC was a basement location near C9.

NW had a club across the way in C.

US had a club in A.

AA had a club in A near the bridge and restrooms.
With the merger they should open one of the two shuttered closed clubs up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.