Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F seat poached by disabled passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I just flew TK comfort IST-YYZ-IST. Both directions, the middle seat next to me was empty (I was on the aisle of the middle section). Most certainly no stickers - in fact, seats were provisioned with pillows, blankets, headphones, etc. just like all of the occupied seats. No attempted seat poaching, either.
Interesting. I flew JFK-IST in both directions half a dozen times last year. All of the seats were provisioned for boarding, but once they'd closed the door and done the headcount the FAs went and stuck a big red sticker saying "Comfort Class Passengers Only" on the headrests of all empty seats. I saw a few poachers shooed away on each flight too.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
If you sleep well at night then you did the right thing. Always a good measuring stick for life's tough decisions.
+1

No one qualifies to judge you except yourself, even I think you are wrong.

My opinion is not binding to anyone.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b
Interesting. I flew JFK-IST in both directions half a dozen times last year. All of the seats were provisioned for boarding, but once they'd closed the door and done the headcount the FAs went and stuck a big red sticker saying "Comfort Class Passengers Only" on the headrests of all empty seats. I saw a few poachers shooed away on each flight too.
On my domestic UA flights there are times when the FA's have to remind Y PAX they cannot move to empty EC seats.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
On my domestic UA flights there are times when the FA's have to remind Y PAX they cannot move to empty EC seats.
EC? What's that?

Only a complete buffoon can't execute a successful move from E- to an empty E+ seat without detection.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
EC? What's that?

Only a complete buffoon can't execute a successful move from E- to an empty E+ seat without detection.
I've never seen it enforced either.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
I've never seen it enforced either.
I have. It was uncomfortable even for the people not involved.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by davidviolin
Wow, when was this and what did the FA do?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:33 pm

You've seen the FA carefully check the manifest, or you've seen them stop some moron coming barreling up the aisle screaming "I'm gonna get me a free rich people seat!"?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You've seen the FA carefully check the manifest, or you've seen them stop some moron coming barreling up the aisle screaming "I'm gonna get me a free rich people seat!"?
I had two dudes try to sneak into the exit row, even sort of nodding when asked if those was their seats. Their lack of English wasn't the only thing giving it away, and the FA quickly made them move back.

But they were non-plussed about it.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:37 pm

Neither, she was asking to check their seat assignment. The she told them to move to their original seats, as she politely explained e+ costs extra. It got kinda quiet and everyone looking (I was sitting in other side of isle) but the FA was nice.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:39 pm

Neither, she was asking to check their seat assignment. The she told them to move to their original seats, as she politely explained e+ costs extra. It got kinda quiet and everyone looking (I was sitting in other side of isle) but the FA was nice.
Why was she checking their seat assignments?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:40 pm

Why was she checking their seat assignments?
I did not ask. Probably she suspected it wasn't their seats.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
I had two dudes try to sneak into the exit row, even sort of nodding when asked if those was their seats. Their lack of English wasn't the only thing giving it away, and the FA quickly made them move back.

Ok, trying to sneak exit row is pretty stupid.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:45 pm

I did not ask. Probably she suspected it wasn't their seats.
Hmm. My guess is still that they committed some measure of buffoonery. Or maybe someone looked at the seatmap and reported them.

Originally Posted by aacharya

Ok, trying to sneak exit row is pretty stupid.
I think the key is knowing how UA's seatmaps work, and boarding late. I agree that exit row might be harder, but in the end, I don't think most FA's have a clue which seats are supposed to be occupied. Is it even on the manifest?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:47 pm

Hmm. My guess is still that they committed some measure of buffoonery. Or maybe someone looked at the seatmap and reported them.

I think the key is knowing how UA's seatmaps work, and boarding late. I agree that exit row might be harder, but in the end, I don't think most FA's have a clue which seats are supposed to be occupied. Is it even on the manifest?
Your guess is as good as mine. They did look like they had no clue and did not belong there, so FA probably noticed it and wanted to double check.

UA's seatmaps are not always correct, and you're taking a risk relying on them. I guess there are also people who really don't realize they do have seat assignments and that some seats cost more than other seats...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.