Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Think it goes without saying...if you're GS, even though the soft product is mediocre and the hard product may be inferior on many routes (though still fine), the overall proposition is very compelling. UA bends over backwards for GS, so of course service should be good & upgrades should be easy....you're playing by an entirely different set of rules relative to top tier levels OALs (AA CK is not really comparable).

That being said - if you're a mere "mileage mortal", be it Silver or 1K, UA is highly lacking these days for many flyers, and thus the pastures look greener at AA, DL, or elsewhere.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by RealFan
.... I don't get how flyers with million mile balances on UA can just start over on AA.....
It took me quite awhile before UA convinced me I should. I have 1.6M with UA and honestly would love to get to 2MM but UA's seismic shift during the merger fiasco forced me to rethink what I really value. Pretty liberating to cut the UA cord once they started devaluing 1K.

However, I actually agree with a majority of RealFan's assessment. For some unknown reason AA assigns extraordinary value to early bookers in terms of UG pri. This happens to work in my favor since I can generally book early. I am NOT a HVF, with my top 1K yr at UA being only $15K or so.
I think my only substantial disagreement with RealFan is over this assertion:
....I've listed what I find attractive elsewhere but in a nutshell - .....better business class seats than AA (for now).....
Obviously you are comparing routes where AA's 77W is not flying. As a vet of many AA and UA business flights, none of UA's business configs can best the 77W experience where each seat has aisle access. UA's 4 abreast business config is not even in the running for those of us who like to get up without crawling over someone or having someone crawl over us.

My UG % at AA is running in the 90s as an EXP, even when rerouted in IRROPS. My AA experience has been that once UG'd, AA seems to pull out the stops to keep you UG'd in IRROPS. UA could absolutely care less from my experience.

If I were flying at the CK / GS level, I am guessing my experience would be different, probably most at UA from what I am reading. But at the 1K / EXP level, UA would have had to do a massive turnabout to get me back. My guess is they don't want me. Feeling is mutual....
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If UA works for you, stick with UA. I continue to fly "the friendly skies" if that is my best option. I do not live at a hub (LAS), so I have options.

UA is just cheap. Remember last year when lime prices went up. Who jumped on the bandwagon to remove them? 2 airlines. UA and AS.

Last year DL decided to provide free booze to all of Y on International flts. What did UA do - charge for it.

UA is still being run as two airlines. "Come on man" (ESPN). Get it together and work as a team. I know a lot of the UA agents in LAS and I am treated well. They know me.

A business client says - they are horrible. We are now booking him on DL or AS. UA has a fantastic network, no "team". How much longer is this "merger" going to take? If I can not book this client on UA - there is a problem. UA flies non-stop and he wants to travel with a connection. He refuses to fly UA. It has nothing to do with miles. He says, he has been screwed over too many times by UA.

As for problems with current management, policies at UA - there are plenty.

One example. What pinhead at UA made the decision about the limes. That story hit major media outlets.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Kacee
..But I appreciate the manner in which the views have been expressed.
Yes with the exception of putting words into other posters' mouth.

And sure it could just be a very special subset of GS flyers who actually hopes to profit from the upcoming changes but I don't buy the flock of 1Ks who embrace these changes.

And I also do not see the value MP RDMs positively impacted simply because the earning schedule gets reshuffled. Nothing good on the redeeming end will come out it.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
RealFan has come here and expressed a different viewpoint from the extremely negative norm. He has expressed his views cogently, and has replied graciously to various responses and criticisms.

I agree with some of what he says, and disagree with other parts. But I appreciate the manner in which the views have been expressed.
+1

It's always interesting to me how we (I include myself of being sometimes guilty of this) try to win a non existent debate in these pages. When I opine about something, I'm often attacked as completely out of touch and uninformed, much as what seems to be happening to RealFan here. My biggest surprise is that Realfan continues to fan the flames. I certainly understand the position from which they have made their conclusion, as it has been so well scripted.

I'm also surprised to read so little about my number one reason for switching away from UA to AA as my primary carrier. I'm not getting any younger, and the long distance RJs were causing me regular physical pain. Even when I sit in F.

One thing I do read much about, and perhaps my second reason, is the discomfort of the particular brand of slimlines that UA is installing. Even on mainline I have no guarantee of arriving refreshed.

I don't hate UA, and I'm not saying I'll never go back, but so far I'm finding that AA does a much better job of giving me a comfortable ride on domestic flights. On eight flights this year, 7 have had stellar crews, and one had the crew from Hell. Assuming that bad experience was a fluke, I'll be a happy AA flyer going forward, with enough CM and UA mixed in to stay Gold as back-up.

The interesting thing is that I have been buying all premium cabin tickets to insure that I make my 25,000 points during the 90 day challenge period. I find that I really like not having to wonder if I will clear, earning the extra miles, etc. It doesn't cost all that much more in most cases, and I think I'm going to continue the practice. If I did that on UA, I would rake in the RDMs like crazy, but then we get back to the RJ/slimline issue. I can't make that work. MD-80s may be old, but they are comfy!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I am leaving

Count me on the list of those leaving. I was OK with the PQD thanks to the CC Waiver, it's the RDM changes that sealed it for me.

For me it's all about the miles: Two years of 75-100K flying with the elite bonus is enough miles for a great international premium cabin trip with the wife.

I have moved to AS (status matched to 75K) and just booked a trip which is a mix of AA, AS and DL R/T. The $500.20 ticket which on UA would yield me $419.54PQD, 5,734PQM and 3,766 RDM. On AS I get the 5,734 PQM AND 11,468 RDMS! I can't fight the math.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nzpilot
Obviously you are comparing routes where AA's 77W is not flying. As a vet of many AA and UA business flights, none of UA's business configs can best the 77W experience where each seat has aisle access. UA's 4 abreast business config is not even in the running for those of us who like to get up without crawling over someone or having someone crawl over us.
What if RealFan doesn't fly on one of the 8 routes serviced by the 77W?

Until AA converts their widebodies and takes delivery of a lot more 77Ws this kind of argument isn't really apples to apples.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..I'm bringing about $100K of spend over to UA in 2015. This goes for most of my colleagues.
For something that mostly still is a mediocre experience overall.

So proportionally you get an even shorter end of that stick than we do. While I am still stuck with MP and AAdvantage, and suffer through the physical UA (or the less painful AA one for that matter) experience a few times a year. But heck ... 100K$ for this .
..better route structure on UA.
I have to accept that your particular GS experience does work for you.
I completely believe you that you don't know one 1K that is happy. I'm telling you I know a bunch who are and feel that UA is as good as ever for them. I'm not telling you that you are wrong but that there is another side to consider.
But they are wrong. Life for 1Ks deteriorated on all levels. Maybe no much since the start of 2014.
I think what I hope you all don't do is go running over to AA (assuming you don't have any status), match for status, start flying, and then when AA reconfigures its programs to match up with DAL and UA, find yourself coming back to UA..
AAdvantage going the way of the toilet is still pure speculation, and even sans FFPs, AA for EXP is a smoother and more pleasant experience than UA as 1K. With the notable exceptions of the IT.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by XLR26
What if RealFan doesn't fly on one of the 8 routes serviced by the 77W?

Until AA converts their widebodies and takes delivery of a lot more 77Ws this kind of argument isn't really apples to apples.
Everyone has specific issues that make it possible to claim quite often that an argument "isn't really apples to apples". For example, in this case every AA 772 actually has 1-2-1 lie-flat direct aisle access seating. The problem for those whose employers will only allow biz purchases is that on the old configuration of the 772, those are in F.

Just FYI, the only widebodies currently in AA's fleet without any lie-flat direct aisle access seating are the 763s. Those are in the process of being converted (10 done, remaining est. by June 2015, with ~33 being retired without being converted).

Last edited by gengar; Nov 16, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This goes for most of my colleagues. I've listed what I find attractive elsewhere but in a nutshell - superior upgrade percentage, better business class seats than AA (for now), better SDC policy, better and more consistent preboarding policy (compared to AA), similar treatment by the GS and CK lines, similar IRROPS handling, and, for me, better route structure on UA.
This is where I politely but firmly disagree. Before 2012, UA was - IMHO - the industry leader in IRROPS handling. Since then, it has slipped significantly, and unless you're a GS, you're screwed. Before 2012, the 1Ks had a dedicated line with experienced agents who took care of us. Now for 1Ks during IRROPS, it's HUCA. Conversely, as a Plat on AA, I'm treated very well during those periods. And one thing I can do at AA that I can't do at UA is walk up to the desk of an earlier departing flight, ask if I can get on it, and in 30 seconds have a new BP in hand - even after boarding has started. Try doing that at UA where the GAs have to struggle with SHARES, and you'll almost be laughed at.

That said, the new reality is not one created by UA but rather by market forces. DAL is doing it, UA is doing it, and AA will soon do it. Everything is changing after 40 or so years of some constant behavior and the industry is evolving if that's a fair term. Today it's good for me. Tomorrow it won't be when I stop flying. I'll deal with it as best I can at that time.
You are dead on correct here. Everyone is doing it, and the market is driving it. The difference is that at AA and DL, they at least try to adopt a public face of being customer oriented. At UA, the current management team considers us the enemy.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by halls120
This is where I politely but firmly disagree. Before 2012, UA was - IMHO - the industry leader in IRROPS handling. Since then, it has slipped significantly, and unless you're a GS, you're screwed. Before 2012, the 1Ks had a dedicated line with experienced agents who took care of us. Now for 1Ks during IRROPS, it's HUCA. Conversely, as a Plat on AA, I'm treated very well during those periods. And one thing I can do at AA that I can't do at UA is walk up to the desk of an earlier departing flight, ask if I can get on it, and in 30 seconds have a new BP in hand - even after boarding has started. Try doing that at UA where the GAs have to struggle with SHARES, and you'll almost be laughed at.
From my perspective, handling of IRROPS and the treatment of the customer during that transaction is one of the starkest differences between United and American (and presumably DL). The dismissive, disdainful attitudes of staff in rebooking; the willingness of fudge the truth to avoid issuing vouchers, etc
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by BearX220
Well, I'm glad the UA value prop works for you... in the same way I'm happy for Ferrari owners who can afford to own a Ferrari. But just as a Ferrari is not a relevant driving solution for the vast majority, UA is not a competitive airline anymore for the vast majority of flyers -- even frequent flyers.

GS is a numerically tiny cohort of UA's customer base. If the 1% is happy, great -- but the value proposition has been blown to smithereens for most other non-hub-hostage customers. Me, 700k+ lifetime miles on UA+CO, various elite levels since 1998 or so, and I wouldn't choose UA these days without a gun to my head.
This.

If United wants to cater to the 1%, let them. But that won't fill the coffers alone...a penny-wise airline knows that every penny matters. I get the same great treatment on my upgraded AS flights that I do from the times that I pay for F, and that is how it should be. My flights leave on time and arrive early. My AA flights do, too, mostly, and when they don't, there's little problem re routing me or even OALing me if need be. The rest of my OneWorld experience is miles above what United have ever offered me. Even in plain old economy.

I still kick myself for waiting as long as I did to cut United loose...late planes, surly staff, we all know the drill...I guess, like many here that sigh in relief when the latest cut United announces isn't that bad, I hoped that there was a method to this madness. After three years and counting, it's pretty clear that United is just mad. Thankfully, many other airlines have not yet jumped on the "what have you done for me lately" bandwagon.

Remember folks, the crazy only ends after you get off the crazy plane. Things will not get better at United. You will just become more inured to the brand of crazy United sets forth.

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; Nov 17, 2014 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: VX Gold; UA Silver (BLAH!); HHonors Diamond
I swear.. I'm flirting with Virgin America... Limited route network... but they're selling me.. and they want me. They matched, I booked. Consider myself cheating already. We'll see if I go back to the abusive relationship or if my cheating becomes more norm and I basically declare myself a FREE AGENT FIRST CLASS TICKET PURCHASER.

Basically they're biting my hand... I give them the minimum business they ask for... but if I go free agent... That means less overall trips I feel compelled to take. Instead of earning their PQD $, they'll get far far less.

Last edited by bernsa; Nov 17, 2014 at 1:59 pm
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Realfan redux

All he's saying is that many of us have different, and sometimes better experience than others flying UA. I don't know Realfan, but I am a 1K who's seen real substantial improvement, even during irrops. FAs have even found me in coach, greeting me and offering occasional drinks. The mood of workers is better than 2011 and 2012, and I can usually solve problems on the phone. So, I respect all those who have had nightmares, and all those like Realfan, who expresses vigorous but courteous input.

Well said. ^[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm sure this resonates with so many UA FF's... I've recounted here on FT how, on my last flight as a 1K, during irrops, I got to the gate of an earlier departing flight. The GA told me to wait until after boarding. I wait, I give her my upgraded F BP for the later flight, and after a while she hands me a coach BP. The monitor right next to the GA shows F is not even half full. I ask nicely if I was added to the upgrade list. She hems and haws, asks the agent nearby how close it is to closing doors, and starts complaining about how complicated it is. And she goes through this pitiful progression slooooowly, as if expecting I'll say "oh never mind, I'll just take the coach seat." I suppose this is the service that over-entitled inundating elites are to expect.

It's sad how much I complained about 1K in the late PMUA days, and then see how much it's fallen even since then.

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
I still kick myself for waiting as long as I did to cut United loose...late planes, surly staff, we all know the drill...I guess, like many here that sigh in relief when the latest cut United announces isn't that bad, I hoped that there was a method to this madness. After three years and counting, it's pretty clear that United is just mad. Thankfully, many other airlines have not yet jumped on the "what have you done for me lately" bandwagon.
Cuts followed by cuts followed by cuts. The reality is that it doesn't matter if a specific cut happens to directly impact a specific elite, because chances are the next one will. The writing has been on the wall for a long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.