Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Ok, I give up. Now I wanna try it...
Plenty of opportunities with CX, some with AA, and just about every non-UA operated 787

1-2-1 cabin is great (that will help further change your perspective, just Google it)...also more protected from the aisle, more storage, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Plenty of opportunities with CX, some with AA, and just about every non-UA operated 787

1-2-1 cabin is great (that will help further change your perspective, just Google it)...also more protected from the aisle, more storage, etc.
And all of US Air's A330s.

787s to avoid are all of JAL's and ANA's for intra-Asia flights (long-haul are fine).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dcdavido
This post exemplifies the problem. UA doesn't care. Fly UA or don't. We are who we are and we're not going to change. We don't care about feedback. Even the apologists are few and far between on these boards - clearly UA has problems. The good news is that UA is starting to give out feedback forms. Maybe with the financial problems Jeff has finally figured out that he can't run an airline by spreadsheet. There are intangibles that he can't see. This thread should be a must read for UA management. Too bad, I'm sure it isn't. And this is totally the correct forum to post your issues. Can't think of a better one.
UA made nearly $1Bn profit last quarter.

Of course UA cares if you fly or I fly or anyone else flies. But they also want to target certain flyers over others. And if a particular flyer gives them more profit for one flight than another flyer gives them total over 10 flights, they're going after the high profit flyer first. He gets more bennies. Just that simple.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

Of course UA cares if you fly or I fly or anyone else flies. But they also want to target certain flyers over others. And if a particular flyer gives them more profit for one flight than another flyer gives them total over 10 flights, they're going after the high profit flyer first. He gets more bennies. Just that simple.
Gotta ask why their profit was significantly lower than the competition, and how DL and AA can make more money even when giving their customers "more" than UA. @:-)
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, 1 Million Miler, AA ExPlat
Smile

About to land in CA having fulfilled the ExPlat challenge in 2 months. Have to say that if this is the norm service wise on AA, I won't ever be going back to UA. Went to ZA with BA as th OW partner and it was excellent. Better than LH. These AA FA's are so friendly. I am used to FA's saying mostly nothing on UA and rarely smiling. No IRROPS yet, so we'll see about that. And no Smisek videos!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:35 pm

UA isn't giving much more in bennies to high value fliers these days either.

As a 1K, I don't see much difference from when I was a Gold last year other than double EQMs instead of 50%. The GS members i work with say the same thing (although their CPU rate is much higher than mine (2 for 9)).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, and UA had a huge loss in the first quarter when all of their competitors made decent profits. For the first six months of this year, UA has earned $430 million (excl special items) while AA has earned $1.9 billion (also excl special items).

The targeting of different customers sounds good, and all, but strikes me as perhaps missing the forest for the trees.

Overall, what UA has been doing since March 3, 2012, hasn't been anywhere near as profitable as the activities of its competitors. DL, US and AA have practically lapped UA since then. Yes, the second quarter was impressive, but UA had a rather impressive second quarter in 2013 as well. Overall, UA's 2013 lagged far behind the competition. UA's 2012 was dismal compared to the competition, and both DL and AA are far ahead of UA in profitability so far this year.

Are the UA numbers down because some HVFs left and have yet to return? Sure looks that way, but reasonable people can disagree.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Are the UA numbers down because some HVFs left and have yet to return? Sure looks that way, but reasonable people can disagree.
We aren't seeing too many savvy disagreements to this point lately, I've noticed
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:37 pm

We aren't seeing too many savvy disagreements to this point lately, I've noticed
Yep. Just look at the PRASM numbers. That will tell you where the high value fares are being paid, and it's not United.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Platinum, National Exec. Elite
I just made the switch and was matched on AA. UA 1k --> AA EXP this week.

Will try it for these three months on USair and AA primarily flying to HNL and Houston from the east coast. My experience mirrors much of the rest of this thread on reasons why I am disappointed in UA:
- Very infrequent CPU (<20% of the time) on W fares and higher even.
- Poor product & service in E+ and F compared to AA. Why do I pay for drinks in E+ as a 1k when AA will give me a drink for free in E?
- Overall company morale very low at UA, which affects customer service
- On time performance which has led to missed connections.
- Negative changes to SDC
- Cost cutting in the United Club products (Tea selection, quality of scotch/whiskey in well, and snacks).

On a side note to AA EXP Qualification: The 25,000 Elite Qualifying Points are challenging to get because none of the sites for OW area easy to search by Fare Class. So I'll have to call in most of my reservations to meet the number.

Last edited by BeBrilliant; Aug 26, 2014 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:27 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by BeBrilliant
- Poor product & service in E+ and F compared to AA. Why do I pay for drinks in E+ as a 1k when AA will give me a drink for free in E?
And free BOB I thoroughly enjoyed the Pastrami sandwich on my recent SAN-DFW flight.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you haven't tried it, I can understand how you would think that - but there's absolutely no comparison. That reverse herringbone is far superior in every way.
The downside to the reverse herringbone is you're kind of exposed to the aisle. I love the personal space and the direct aisle access, but a window seat UD on the 744 is in some ways better for sleeping. If you don't need to get up, that is . . . .

Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel
And no Smisek videos!
Now this sounds like paradise
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kacee
The downside to the reverse herringbone is you're kind of exposed to the aisle. I love the personal space and the direct aisle access, but a window seat UD on the 744 is in some ways better for sleeping. If you don't need to get up, that is . . . .
i feel like the aisles on the 744s are wider with the RH configuration than with the UA 2-2 config. maybe it's just perception. granted i've only been on an NZ 744 with an RH config. and in the nose, the aisle is REAL wide
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by BeBrilliant
I just made the switch and was matched on AA. UA 1k --> AA EXP this week.

Will try it for these three months on USair and AA primarily flying to HNL and Houston from the east coast. My experience mirrors much of the rest of this thread on reasons why I am disappointed in UA:
- Very infrequent CPU (<20% of the time) on W fares and higher even.
- Overall company morale very low at UA, which affects customer service
- On time performance which has led to missed connections.

On a side note to AA EXP Qualification: The 25,000 Elite Qualifying Points are challenging to get because none of the sites for OW area easy to search by Fare Class. So I'll have to call in most of my reservations to meet the number.
From where on the East Coast?

IAH: UA, of course
HNL: UA also has many (more?) options available. Do you fly direct from your home airport?

The crux will be your 'East Coast' departure points. NYC? Washington DC? ATL? MIA? (or BOS, PHL, CLT)

If AA is not strong there, are you prepared to connect more?

Let us know your experiences, and how the challenge works out.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
HNL: UA also has many (more?) options available. Do you fly direct from your home airport?
Don't overlook the Alaska nonstops from the west coast that can credit to AA. That opens up airports like Oakland, San Jose, Portland and San Diego with nonstops to HNL.

Tom in Singapore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.