FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1542654-how-many-really-leaving-ua-2014-edition.html)

tom911 Jun 23, 2014 1:55 am

Originally Posted by jasondc (Post 23080261)
Guess what happened to me in May? I bought a ticket on united to fly DCA-ord roundtrip

Is that your only UA purchase for the year? I'm surprised you didn't comment on how much you have flown UA this year and how that overall flight and service experience has been to make it a fair comparison. Are you doing the 120K+ or more a year that FlyWorld was doing before he walked away? No problems with that amount of flying? Every trip went smoothly and operated on time?

kettle1 Jun 23, 2014 3:04 am

WOW. JUST WOW. a little over the top if you ask me.

Guess what happened to me in May? I bought a ticket on united to fly DCA-ord roundtrip, and here's what happened:
1) I bought the ticket 2) I showed up at DCA and checked my luggage 3) agent at check in said "good morning! And smiled!!!!" 4) went to UA club and greeted with a smile. 5) bartender made me an excellent Bloody Mary 6) boarded plane, had nice enthusiastic fas who smiled 7) bought and used the wifi 8) landed early in ORD and my checked luggage was there in 10 minutes. Repeat process for my return.

Are there issues with united? Sure. Should they be fixed and do they have a lot of work to do? Absolutely. But what you write below is simply over the top.

I disagree 100%. You had a good flt on UA. Great. You have no idea how many poor ones I have had and I have moved on to AA and DL.

Bye-bye UA. You can have my FC seat. I fly approx. 10+ flights a week.

This is from UA (current):

About United Continental Holdings

United is the world’s leading airline and is focused on being the airline customers want to fly, the airline employees want to work for and the airline shareholders want to invest in.

Highlights of United Airlines include:

World’s most comprehensive global route network, including world-class international gateways to Asia and Australia, Europe, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East with non-stop or one-stop service from virtually anywhere in the United States
A modern fleet which is the most fuel efficient (when adjusted for cabin size), and the best current aircraft order book among U.S. network carriers
Industry-leading loyalty program that provides more opportunities to earn and redeem miles worldwide
Optimal hub locations in 10 cities, including hubs in the four largest cities in the United States
Rated the world’s most admired airline on FORTUNE magazine’s 2012 airline-industry list of the World’s Most Admired Companies

For more information about United, including flight information, please visit united.com.
Everything bolded needs updated, as it is not correct.

So you take one flt and everything is great. Try taking 10 a week on UA and perhaps the rose colored glasses will be removed.

jasondc Jun 23, 2014 3:21 am

Flew UA and aa both twice a month this year January- May. Now live outside the us. I had delays on both, had on time on both. Will say that aa F domestic is better than UA domestically. But for coach. I hardly noticed a meaningful difference and preferred the larger e+ sections vs the smaller mce sections on aa. Service on both in coach was similar- most of the time unremarkable, with the occasional great FA or two. Sorry my experiences don't align with the echo chamber on here. I now live in Abu Dhabi so have different experiences now

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 23080287)
Is that your only UA purchase for the year? I'm surprised you didn't comment on how much you have flown UA this year and how that overall flight and service experience has been to make it a fair comparison. Are you doing the 120K+ or more a year that FlyWorld was doing before he walked away? No problems with that amount of flying? Every trip went smoothly and operated on time?

Can't believe people are getting so angry and heated over a silly airline. I've flown UA at least 2x a month this year and last year. Maybe not 10x/week but enough. And I've flown aa and DL too. UA works for me. While it's not perfect it's fine. No one airline meets all my needs so I use them all. No one is perfect. Can UA improve? Sure. Should it? Yes. Is it always the sheer hellish tortuous experience depicted here? Absolutely not. Sorry it doesn't work for you. Enjoy sky pesos and the fun merger process at as

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 23080469)
I disagree 100%. You had a good flt on UA. Great. You have no idea how many poor ones I have had and I have moved on to AA and DL.

Bye-bye UA. You can have my FC seat. I fly approx. 10+ flights a week.

This is from UA (current):

Everything bolded needs updated, as it is not correct.

So you take one flt and everything is great. Try taking 10 a week on UA and perhaps the rose colored glasses will be removed.

kettle1 Jun 23, 2014 3:39 am

Originally Posted by jasondc (Post 23080502)
Sorry it doesn't work for you. Enjoy sky pesos and the fun merger process at as

First who is "at as". I did not know AS (Alaska Airlines was merging). Do you mean AA/US?

Second the in no "anger". I am not angry with UA - I am moving my business to AA/DL. Not only for me but all of my employees. Simple. I still take UA if nonstop and no other option.

Third - Enjoy UA miles in 2015 if you only travel twice a month. (Depending on the fare paid). For me it works! Both on UA and DL!

This week alone - computer glitch (twice), "weather" (other carriers had no problems), no free booze in Y International, no free food from HNL to Guam (7 hour flt), limited limes, RJ's everywhere, Person going to MNL from PHX DENIED BOARDING (100% wrong by UA agent), etc, etc, etc.

jasondc Jun 23, 2014 4:06 am

Yes- Aa.
Good for you. I had multiple friends and former colleagues delayed and cancelled on Aa this week on thursday and friday due to weather at Ord. So I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say weather doesn't impact other airlines. Some on Aa even were told they couldn't be rebooked for a few days! Weather is legit and I abd my colleagues have similar situations on every airline.

Wow- have all these things happened to you? No food hnl- gum doesn't impact me as I don't fly it. UA works for me. I don't give a crap about this lime controversy- I eat and drink in nice restaurants, not on airplanes. And yes, you do seem angry about this and do seem to spend a lot of time on this given the volume of posts you have and the amount of research you do (quoting and dissecting the fine print at the bottom of a press release? Really?)
Rjs are going away and being reduced. Have you been to dtw or msp on dl? Or how about their new lga hub that delta has built- all rj to the cities I need to go to. The 50 seater kind
Sorry- clearly you're impacted by much more than I am. UA isn't perfect but it works for me.

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 23080539)
First who is "at as". I did not know AS (Alaska Airlines was merging). Do you mean AA/US?

Second the in no "anger". I am not angry with UA - I am moving my business to AA/DL. Not only for me but all of my employees. Simple. I still take UA if nonstop and no other option.

Third - Enjoy UA miles in 2015 if you only travel twice a month. (Depending on the fare paid). For me it works! Both on UA and DL!

This week alone - computer glitch (twice), "weather" (other carriers had no problems), no free booze in Y International, no free food from HNL to Guam (7 hour flt), limited limes, RJ's everywhere, Person going to MNL from PHX DENIED BOARDING (100% wrong by UA agent), etc, etc, etc.

kettle1 Jun 23, 2014 4:17 am

Originally Posted by jasondc (Post 23080604)
Sorry- clearly you're impacted by much more than I am. UA isn't perfect but it works for me.

Stick with UA. It sounds like a win-win for you. Happy travels.

mre5765 Jun 23, 2014 4:38 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 23076020)

But those leaving UA aren't thinking rationally. Theirs is not a careful measure of pros and cons resulting in a cool, logical decision. It's a frenzied witch hunt with Smisek the loathsome object of their blind rage. When he's gone, these bloodthirsty UA loyalists will return in droves, professing that a paradigm shift has occurred at UA. :rolleyes:

I agree with you that there is definitely some illogic and frenzied behavior in play, but is neither from me nor the bulk of us who des creased their business with UA. I shifted the bulk of my spend to AA/oneworld and replicated a Chase M+ card I with Barclay's Arrival and a Plat AMEX. When I spend money on business class, whether my own or OPM, I do it based on lowest price for the day I want to fly from the airport I want to use.

For domestic to the Bay Area, my,primary route, for the most part I continue to use UA, but DL has been part of my repertoire for my primary route. Last year it was WN. I go for price and convenience.

If anything, my previous behavior of slavish loyalty to UA was illogical. I've become a kayaker, and as such I've opened myself to many more travel opportunities. You however ...

RNE Jun 23, 2014 5:22 am

Originally Posted by born sleepy (Post 23079295)
What finally killed any affection I had towards UA was moving to ATL where UA is so afraid to compete with DL that they only fly misery-box dirty old E145/CR2/CR7 and charge more for that privilege.

Nope. Done. Left for AA/US in March. Good service, on time, rare upgrades but I don't really care about that anymore; I care more about getting where I need to go and not be a spark-spitting node of white-hot rage if/when I get there (typical after EWR connection).

So who's thinking rationally?

You—for one—are. ^

RNE Jun 23, 2014 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 23080653)
I agree with you that there is definitely some illogic and frenzied behavior in play, but is neither from me nor the bulk of us who des creased their business with UA. I shifted the bulk of my spend to AA/oneworld and replicated a Chase M+ card I with Barclay's Arrival and a Plat AMEX. When I spend money on business class, whether my own or OPM, I do it based on lowest price for the day I want to fly from the airport I want to use.

For domestic to the Bay Area, my,primary route, for the most part I continue to use UA, but DL has been part of my repertoire for my primary route. Last year it was WN. I go for price and convenience.

If anything, my previous behavior of slavish loyalty to UA was illogical. I've become a kayaker, and as such I've opened myself to many more travel opportunities. You however ...

And you—for two—are. ^

RNE, confiding that I recently switched from preferring Burger King to McDonalds. Despite that upheaval in my fast food life, I never felt the urge to go online and disparage BK's CEO, Dan Schwartz, while extolling Don Thompson, nor bore everyone I could with excessive details of how McDonald's french fries are superior to Burger King's, nor palaver about how many dimes one CEO is getting from me versus the other. How strange of me not to engage in such acrimony.

Renard Jun 23, 2014 6:51 am

I get what you're saying. The problems at UA transcend its CEO.

But those leaving UA aren't thinking rationally. Theirs is not a careful measure of pros and cons resulting in a cool, logical decision. It's a frenzied witch hunt with Smisek the loathsome object of their blind rage. When he's gone, these bloodthirsty UA loyalists will return in droves, professing that a paradigm shift has occurred at UA. :rolleyes:

RNE, opining that Smisek is an arrogant, ignorant jackass. But he's merely a minor bolder in a devastating landslide.

Who cares about Smisek. It's policies instituted since the mergers that are the problem and they're here to stay.

Not thinking Logically? It's math. Mileage plus just don't add up for me starting 3/1. It's not adding up. I'll chase any loyalty program worldwide until they're as bad as MP is about to come for me. Math... not a witchhunt.

UA-NYC Jun 23, 2014 7:18 am

WOW. JUST WOW. a little over the top if you ask me.

Guess what happened to me in May? I bought a ticket on united to fly DCA-ord roundtrip, and here's what happened:
1) I bought the ticket 2) I showed up at DCA and checked my luggage 3) agent at check in said "good morning! And smiled!!!!" 4) went to UA club and greeted with a smile. 5) bartender made me an excellent Bloody Mary 6) boarded plane, had nice enthusiastic fas who smiled 7) bought and used the wifi 8) landed early in ORD and my checked luggage was there in 10 minutes. Repeat process for my return.

Are there issues with united? Sure. Should they be fixed and do they have a lot of work to do? Absolutely. But what you write below is simply over the top.

How else does UA get to the point where they are ~$1B behind AA in earnings for a quarter (despite AA *just* starting the merger process)?

If your experience was typical for all, they'd be doing a lot better.

RNE Jun 23, 2014 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Renard (Post 23081084)
Who cares about Smisek.

Indeed!

jasondc Jun 23, 2014 8:21 am

Aa's morning ord- LHR delayed 9 hours today. And look at what's happening to Aa in DFW today- tons of weather delays. It happens to everybody, even Aa and dl with their mythic, world class service

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 23080539)

I fly a lot domestically and on all airlines. I keep my expectations in check. Despite an admittedly better first class on Aa and nice small snacks on dl, the experience is usually very similar. When I've had irops this year on ua I was reaccommodated quickly, just as when I was on Aa or dl. I flew every week january- may before moving abroad this year and it was fine. Maybe I was just lucky.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 23081191)
How else does UA get to the point where they are ~$1B behind AA in earnings for a quarter (despite AA *just* starting the merger process)?

If your experience was typical for all, they'd be doing a lot better.

Karl-MDW Jun 23, 2014 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jasondc (Post 23081476)
Aa's morning ord- LHR delayed 9 hours today. And look at what's happening to Aa in DFW today- tons of weather delays. It happens to everybody, even Aa and dl with their mythic, world class service

Yes, it happens to every airline.

The key is how one is treated.

At least at my MP level, PMUA used to inform me and help me (if not have rebooked me by the time I arrived at the counter/call center).

Last week on both the outbound and the return, UA did not even correctly update the airport monitors in a difficult time - let alone the app or the web site. There was no attempt to call me, to text me, to email me....

PV_Premier Jun 23, 2014 8:54 am

I get what you're saying. The problems at UA transcend its CEO.

RNE, opining that Smisek is an arrogant, ignorant jackass. But he's merely a minor bolder in a devastating landslide.

I think there are plenty of people who have made (and described) careful measure of pros and cons in their decision to leave UA. Both in this thread, and the 2013 version.

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 23080847)
And you—for two—are. ^

RNE, confiding that I recently switched from preferring Burger King to McDonalds. Despite that upheaval in my fast food life, I never felt the urge to go online and disparage BK's CEO, Dan Schwartz, while extolling Don Thompson, nor bore everyone I could with excessive details of how McDonald's french fries are superior to Burger King's, nor palaver about how many dimes one CEO is getting from me versus the other. How strange of me not to engage in such acrimony.

The difference between BK and McD CEOs you mention and Smisek is that they don't put themselves out in the open as arrogant, pompous jackasses who think they know everything and are "certain" that all the changes they have made are "changes you will like". Smisek deserves every bit of rage, hate, and mockery he gets here because he made a boatload of promises that he either (a) never intended to keep (b) was too incompetent to keep or (c) didn't think he needed to keep in order to hang onto frequent flyers. Smisek treats his customers as if they are stupid, when in fact many of them are quite savvy and understand the value propositions of what UA can offer versus the competition. When you put yourself out there writing checks with your mouth that your company isn't equipped to cash, all the backlash in the world that lands on your doorstep is not only expected, but deserved.