FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1542654-how-many-really-leaving-ua-2014-edition.html)

LaserSailor Jan 9, 2014 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22115306)
Nice. Here's the full excerpt:

It's the old adage: You can make a pizza so cheap, nobody will eat it. You can make an airline so cheap, nobody will fly it. They had taken so much cost out that the value wasn't there for the average person. A watch only has value when it's reliable and consistent, and an airline only has value when it's reliable and consistent, and we were not. And we needed to become that, and no one had ever addressed that issue. It's not about market strategy. It's not about the flight attendants with a Kate Spade handbag. It's about getting there safely on time with your underwear every time you fly. ...

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

And by that metric both DL and UA were 98% performers for me last year.

PQD, people having to pay for their own booze ( the horror), RJs, and lack of red slippers aren't going to change that in 2014...thats my bet.

halpie97 Jan 9, 2014 11:47 am

WSJ Article - UA in Last Place - Anyone comtemplating defecting?

Just read the WSJ article on Airline Scorecard.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...p_EditorsPicks

With United being in last overall and hanging in the bottom half of all categories, has anyone thought about taking the status match challenge on Delta or American given, before your current year's status runs out?

LaserSailor Jan 9, 2014 11:52 am

Stand by to be merged to the "how many are really leaving UA thread"

Kacee Jan 9, 2014 11:57 am

To be fair, UA and AA tied for last place. So this ranking alone would hardly justify a move to AA.

mgcsinc Jan 9, 2014 12:08 pm

I read this as "Anyone contemplating defecating" at first, and it was much funnier.

kevinsac Jan 9, 2014 12:11 pm

As much as I like the WSJ, an article in that newspaper (and the ranking) is hardly reason for me to consider leaving.

hotelmotel Jan 9, 2014 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 22119439)
I read this as "Anyone contemplating defecating" at first, and it was much funnier.

+1

FWAAA Jan 9, 2014 12:53 pm

I read fluff like this as completely irrelevant.

Since I don't complain to the DOT, I couldn't care less how many other whiners do complain.

I very rarely check bags, so the number of mishandled bags is irrelevant.

On-time stats? Couldn't care less what percentage of flights overall arrived more than 15 minutes late. Only thing that matters is whether my flights arrived with enough time to make connections or meetings.

Bumping rates? In decades of flying, never been involuntarily bumped, so couldn't care less that some kettles were occasionally denied boarding.

For me, what matters is whether I got where I wanted to go at a price I could afford and whether the airline treated me well enough (like frequent upgrades). In those categories, my preferred airline received enough stars (awarded by me) to warrant keeping them on for another year.

The article reminds me of the occasional Flyertalker who thinks there is value in compiling a thread with successful upgrades by route, time of day, etc. as if such nonsense will help others get upgrades. Whether someone else's upgrade clears is irrelevant to me - what matters is whether enough of my upgrades cleared.

REPUBLIC757 Jan 9, 2014 1:06 pm

Growing up in NJ, getting "bumped" was a big CO thing at EWR. I see that has transferred over nicely to UA.

spin88 Jan 9, 2014 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 22119746)
I read fluff like this as completely irrelevant.

Since I don't complain to the DOT, I couldn't care less how many other whiners do complain.

I would agree that (at least in the past) Elite Status kept what these rankings represent from impacting FFers, other than the OT and baggage issues. BUT, these rankings do reflect the experience of the typical travelers who fill the planes.

It is interesting to me that DAL's Anderson, who obviously runs a good ship, set a goal of halving the DOT complaint rate for DAL. He was that someone would take the time to figure out how to complain to DOT as a reflection of many other unsatisfied passengers. Fix the underlying issue in how passengers are treated, DOT complaints would fall, and Delta's rate has dramatically.

I say this because UAL no longer has the special treatment of elites to cushion the blow of the generally bad service, and when an airline runs these kinds of poor numbers year in and year out, and is making no effort to improve its scores it impacts the airline's reputation, and at this point, UAL's is not exactly good.

boss315 Jan 9, 2014 1:18 pm

sad, just sad

demkr Jan 9, 2014 1:25 pm

It's just funny how all these huffy talk about "excellent customer service" is just that - talk. That's typical when it comes to airline PR, but what's hilarious is that United is almost overdoing it with this "Friendly" stuff, and any objective analysis shows they're the exact opposite. Remarkable.

http://online.wsj.com/news/interacti...08640380117768

mherdeg Jan 9, 2014 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 22119439)

Thanks, I appreciated that.

curtisturner Jan 9, 2014 1:33 pm

Here is my 2 cents.
I have often thought of leaving for greener pastures, however after doing the research this is my conclusion.
Most of the so called best airlines are small and have a small number of flights compared to United. (it is easier to please a smaller group of people
)
I also noticed that if you build yourself a pros and cons list you will find that if you want to be able to travel all over the place United is the right choice.
Pros
Star Alliance
They cover a lot of the globe.
They offer Clubs
They offer great deals (not all the time)

I traveled on about 82 flights last year and they only lost my luggage once and it was delivered to my hotel later that night. Yes there are problems but in the grand scheme of thing the good out weights the bad.

CT

uber1K_Flyer Jan 9, 2014 2:48 pm

"internal customer-satisfaction surveys are showing big gains since mid-2012"

Really United?