FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1542654-how-many-really-leaving-ua-2014-edition.html)

Leviticus Jan 18, 2014 4:02 am

I'm upset, and would like to leave, but realistically have nowhere to go. Delta blows (completely unsuitable for my needs) and AA generally cost twice as much for the routes I fly.

SQPPS Jan 18, 2014 4:31 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22173130)
Where is your home base / primary destinations?

Good luck, please report back here how much greener the grass really is on that side of the fence!

The grass is definitely greener at American. I fly CX, BA, AA, QR, RJ, EY now and can verify for sure that AAdvantage is much better of a program. The new 77W has great seats and usually good service to/from LHR/LAX. I also like their 777 LAX/MIA. I pay for business and on some flights upgrade to F. Flight attendants are usually happy people with the occasional sky-cop type. But on the whole they are professionals, many of whom I find to be bi-lingual. AA also responsive via Twitter and can make reservation changes quickly via that medium, which is even faster than having my assistant handle it.

EXP desk excellent in the case of irrops. Was on a BA F class AAdvantage award. BA flight was delayed only 2 hours which would have caused a missed connection and AA endorsed ticket to LH F with no if ands or buts 2 hours before the flight departure. Amazing indeed.

RNE Jan 18, 2014 4:46 am

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 22174736)
The grass is greener, much greener at DL and AA.

You keep saying this maxim. And I keep pointing out to you that it means just the opposite of what you think it means. Yet you keep saying it. Why won't you learn?

halls120 Jan 18, 2014 5:01 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 22176864)
You keep saying this maxim. And I keep pointing out to you that it means just the opposite of what you think it means. Yet you keep saying it. Why won't you learn?

Maybe for him it is greener. Just because the common use of the saying is opposite of his intended meaning doesn't mean he hasn't found a better solution.

Just because you're the "world's most popular member" of FT doesn't mean you're always correct. ;)

kettle1 Jan 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Perhaps this is clearer. The new UA sucks. DL and AA are by far better carriers at this time. Perhaps UA will return to its past, until they do I will stick with other carriers for my travel needs.

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 22176864)

First I've used the phrase once. Second I'll use another.

Fly the "new UA", put on your "Rose Colored Glasses".

Q: What are rose colored glasses?
A: If someone looks at something with rose-colored glasses, they think it is more pleasant than it is.
That is the new UA!

I retract my greener grass thoughts. Even if the pastures are better at DL and AA than UA at this time.

BF263533 Jan 18, 2014 11:42 pm

I am not leaving, but slowly being forced away, just like the drip-by-drip Chinese water torture.

With US Air leaving the alliance connections from PBI (West Palm Beach, FL) on United only are difficult to many destinations. For 2014, Delta, US Air, and Southwest will have much better flights for at least 60% of my travel.

For the first time ever, following People's Express which was absorbed by Continental, which used full-size jets, small jets with like 6 first class seats are now being used on the PBI-EWR route.

When I was flying Delta a few years ago, their small jets (CRJ-900) had like 12 first class seats.

I just need to determine whether I start towards Delta, American (US Air), or Southwest. I may go with American because I could get my next million miler status from them sooner after mu US Air miles are combined.

I am not leaving, United is just gradually forcing me away.

deniah Jan 19, 2014 4:32 am

Moved across the pond, so I wasn't flying UA much anyway. Kept Mileage Plus just in case I'd move back but that's not looking to be the case. Crippled partner earnings, and no Lifetime miles accumulation on partner flights so there's 0 reasons left to stick around.

Hard to decide between OW and *A as OW has some pretty good premium fares but in the end *A is still very strong regionally

andyh64000 Jan 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in

I can't route my first two international trips on DL and throw in the transcon where I need to be in NJ (rather than JFK)...dammit.

I don't think I can waste 30K miles and still make Diamond.

Dammit Dammit Dammit

KenInEscazu Jan 23, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm not leaving, but I am going to put everything over 100K on AA, which will certainly get me Platinum. It'll be a good backup if UA continues to spiral in terms of lacking concern for their customers.

syrahnose Jan 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by rostovru (Post 22079789)
Every announcement recently from UA has been about ways the airline will cut back benefits/service or impose greater restrictions on customers, while other carriers are announcing new products they're excited about.

A business can choose to offer less and charge more, and likewise customers can choose with whom to do business.

As a business owner myself, I can't see what good could ever come from giving loyal clients the impression that their business wasn't valued - perceived or real - unless I was going under and making a last minute cash-out.

This seems like a plausible explanation for what is going on.

Bowgie Jan 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000 (Post 22168690)
I left Jan 1 for Delta.

The biggest reason was that United clearly doesn't care about SEA but I could have almost lived with that except for all of the downgrades over the past couple of years.

Months ago, before Delta even started their big "We are going OWN Seattle" campaign, the contrast between the adjacent DL and UA check-in counters was stark:

UA's was crowded, lines for kiosks, huge general lines and a long 1K check-in line.

DL's kiosks were staffed with agents helping people and their general check-in line much shorter than UA's 1K line. Both airlines checking-in customers for multiple departures for 4 to 6pm-ish.

johnmont Jan 24, 2014 3:11 pm

My last 1K flight was today

It was a bittersweet flight today after all the years I was a 1K and flying United exclusively (I used to go out of my way to fly them from ORD), but today I had my last flight with 1K status. The route network does fit with my needs, but I couldn't deal with the poor customer service, performance, and IT that seems to have become prevalent since the March merge date.

I'll be back if things improve, but for now I'm enjoying the freedom to try airlines like Virgin (Atlantic & America), Delta, Southwest, and more. I've actually enjoyed sampling other airlines and the grass in certain areas can certainly be greener, but I know I'll be missing 1K when it really counts: bad weather and IRROPS. But United isn't gonna exclusively get my 120K to 140K miles any more....

Having an sCO flight as my final flight today was appropriate, because I do place many of the poor decisions and drop in quality on the Houston crew. I don't think all their decisions have been poor (PQD is sensible, for instance), but I feel many customer service oriented choices have been wretched. And sUA employees didn't help either....I've felt a drop in service quality since the merger.

I used to feel important to the United staff in the way I was treated and now I don't. Maybe I wasn't important to them, but at least they made me feel important by providing outstanding service (especially in tough situations), and that's much of the battle. Perception is reality. I won't forget the FA bringing me a handwritten card and glass of Champagne in Economy to congratulate me when I first crossed 1K enroute on a flight.

Best part today was that the pilot seriously bounced the landing at LAX.

Perfect ending. :)

ozflier Jan 24, 2014 3:23 pm

For the first time in over 15 years I have no revenue bookings in my MP account.

It will probably stay that way.

I don't know how much better or more expensive alternatives are ( from BNE Australia ) but it is time for a change of carrier.

In the past I believed that my loyalty ( 1K , 2 MM) to UA would be rewarded and that was the case.

No longer!

Alternatives will have to be worse than UA and a lot more expensive to bring me back. But who knows, maybe they are?

anc-ord772 Jan 25, 2014 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie (Post 22216157)
Months ago, before Delta even started their big "We are going OWN Seattle" campaign, the contrast between the adjacent DL and UA check-in counters was stark:

UA's was crowded, lines for kiosks, huge general lines and a long 1K check-in line.

DL's kiosks were staffed with agents helping people and their general check-in line much shorter than UA's 1K line. Both airlines checking-in customers for multiple departures for 4 to 6pm-ish.

I flew ROC-LGA on DL and the agent kept pointing me to the kiosk. He wouldn't help me behind the desk. He didn't really help me at the kiosk either. He did help another family though.

At LAX the DL check-in was a zoo. Very crowded and long lines. Especially (but not solely confined to) the LAX-SFO shuttle check-in area. A real mess.

Point you ask? YMMV.

----------------

Anyway, I can already see my flight pattern changing. I know live at the intersection of price, schedule and comfort.

UNITED award flights + cheapest discount F + reduced travel = 2014 strategy.

Being LA based gives me plenty of options and it seems DL last minute and discount F tickets are very reasonable. Hell I might take VX F down to Orlando from LAX this spring.

Friends think I've lost my mind given my years of devotion to UNITED, and I will lose 1K for sure, but I'm not satisfied with how UA is currently running their business. Even so, I would consider purchasing UNITED First, but their prices have yet to be competitive.

It turns out I like a high quality inflight experience over loyalty. Who knew.

hamburgoflyer Jan 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by johnmont (Post 22216311)
It was a bittersweet flight today after all the years I was a 1K and flying United exclusively

Bittersweet indeed, I'll be facing a similar experience next week, including crossing the 1m miles, after which I have no
more revenue bookings (and don't intend to make any either) ...

Originally Posted by johnmont (Post 22216311)
I won't forget the FA bringing me a handwritten card and glass of Champagne in Economy to congratulate me when I first crossed 1K enroute on a flight.

Approximately how long ago was that ? Just curious ...