Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:59 pm
RNE

So after a thousand and a half posts have we answered the question this thread asks? Well, no. This thread has failed at that. It's little more than a virtual lover's leap.

But we do have an answer. How many are really leaving UA? Not enough! Jam-packed airplanes tell us that much.

RNE, advising everyone to go West, young man!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
This thread has been very interesting to read, and it's given me a plan of action next year. I'm UA Gold for 2015 though I doubt I will plan my itinerary exclusively on UA as I've done so religiously these last two years.

What I've learned from this thread: I will try other carriers when the price and value seem right. For example, this March when I fly to HNL, I'll seriously consider a business class fare on DL which is much lower than UA or AA.

I have a Chase United Club Card and I do like using airport lounges, though I don't think I'll renew it when my AF comes up on 1 July. That's probably when I'll drop that card, go for the AA Executive equivalent credit card for Admirals Club access, and try a Platinum status challenge on AA. Heck, maybe even with DL.

I'm going to do one last United splurge next week. I am booking a west coast trip and plan to do free SDC to extend my trip and do overnight layovers in connecting cities. Hope it goes well!

No more blindly booking on UA!

Ruhr
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
So after a thousand and a half posts have we answered the question this thread asks? Well, no. This thread has failed at that. It's little more than a virtual lover's leap.

But we do have an answer. How many are really leaving UA? Not enough! Jam-packed airplanes tell us that much.

So long and the economy stays strong thus keeping travel strong none of this will make any difference. If/when the economy next tanks and travel drops off then we will find out if UA's strategy here has been right. If they can keep filling their planes sufficiently when many fewer people want to be flying then they were correct. If the extra help filling their planes that a loyal customer base that went out of their way to fly UA even when it was a bit less convenient gave them winds up leaving them with empty seats then they will have erred. The interesting thing is that since such a tanking of the economy is probably still at least a bit of a ways off and since the impact of this decision being wrong would even then take a while to manifest itself, Smisek will have departed by then in any case and will be generally hailed as a success. The negative fruits of poor long term decisions seldom see to accrue to the person who made them.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:57 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by pdx1M
So long and the economy stays strong thus keeping travel strong none of this will make any difference. If/when the economy next tanks and travel drops off then we will find out if UA's strategy here has been right. If they can keep filling their planes sufficiently when many fewer people want to be flying then they were correct. If the extra help filling their planes that a loyal customer base that went out of their way to fly UA even when it was a bit less convenient gave them winds up leaving them with empty seats then they will have erred. The interesting thing is that since such a tanking of the economy is probably still at least a bit of a ways off and since the impact of this decision being wrong would even then take a while to manifest itself, Smisek will have departed by then in any case and will be generally hailed as a success. The negative fruits of poor long term decisions seldom see to accrue to the person who made them.
Yeah. Or nobody's leaving United Airlines any more than any other airline and that will be true in good or bad times.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
The PQD requirements will thin the number of MP elites, either by intention or by accident when people find out they didn't qualify.

Dollar requirements should reduce the number of people willing to fly only UA but then again, all tickets cost more these days too and yet the planes are full.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
...I got a hotel voucher for the Red Roof Inn with a value of $29 on the voucher. A no-status girl standing next to me got the Marriott IAH (we spoke afterwords and commiserated.) I mean, c'mon!
They put me in that Red Roof Inn one time, and I've also been put in the Park Inn one night along with (literally) 100+ other people when a late flight was canceled. I was at the end of the line, and they had two people working the desk. At least the Park Inn had a restaurant.

After those two events, I just starting going to Priceline, booking the best Express Deal I could find with the most stars, then hopping in a taxi. More money, but less stress. Unfortunately, it has happened 3 or 4 times, but I knew what I was paying to avoid, and it was worth it.

I did once negotiate an "upgrade" to a Courtyard at DEN one night while deciding to accept a VDB, but they really needed me off that flight that night.

I'm sure that I'll eventually end up comped at a hotel as an AA EXP. It will be interesting to see how they handle such things.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by RNE

I have learned, I think, from this thread and last years version.

There is a certain vintage of UA flyer, who for a period of time, were treated extremely well by UA in the areas that matter most to these flyers. It appears to me from reading their current complaints that UA really focused more effort and attention on these elite flyers, to make their experience better.

With the merger, changes, cost cutting, etc., this perception (or reality) of elite differentiation has been reduced or disappeared.

As a more recent vintage UA elite flyer, I do not have any memory of being treated better than I am now at some time in the past. I've tried AA, as an elite. I've flown DL, a little, difficult to do ex-SFO. I am Gold on VX, now for two years.

My opinion is that they are more the same than they are different, today.

VX would get more of my business, if they flew more places.

But, UA adequately (not perfectly) serves my needs as a primarily domestic, SFO based traveler.

From this thread, and the information and emotion that is shared, I do feel that I have a better understanding why some are disappointed with today's UA.

Originally Posted by RNE
Thank you Horace Greeley.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Nobody's leaving because it's easier to stay and deal with the devil you know than it is to move on and face the one you don't.

It took me 18 months to get off this crazy train and try other airlines. It wasn't until they axed Bangkok before I finally threw in the towel.

Despite the constant soft and hard-product devals, the destruction of MP, PQD (and now even more for 2015!), lack of upgrade availability, a trainwreck of a PSS, and more, Continental won't ever really have to worry. That was the whole point of the merger - it was always about less worry for the ones in charge. Less competition, fewer benefits for over-entitled flyers, bigger profits for the top execs to lavish themselves in. It was never ever about customers, and never will be, ever again.

But for every person who leaves United, there are 10 more willing to fill the gap. Look at the GS re-qualification threads. "I get to be treated as tops on an airline who has crappy reliability and poor customer service, and I'm paying north of $50,000 a year for the privilege!" Are you kidding me? Sadly, no.

But United seems to have found its bottom now, and is quickly establishing it as the 'new normal'. Weary FFs who are tired of the barrage of bad news stay just because "at least the deluge seems to be slowing." "At least he's not beating me every day."

That's no way to relate to an airline. IMO. It's travel. The value prop drops quickly after you succeed with "all checked bags present after an on-time arrival with an upright plane after a non-eventful flight with a decent seat and a courteous cabin crew." It's just a shame that United can't get that right most of the time. Yet, they don't have to, because there's no one keeping them honest anymore.

Still, people will do what they want. And whether they're hub-captive, worried about losing miles they banked, or just plain feel like the other airlines are no better, United will have plenty of traffic for ages to come.

Doesn't make me think less of what United was before the merger - an airline with a number of glaring faults, but one that got me where I needed to go and took care of me well when it couldn't. Fortunately for me, there are many airlines that still subscribe to that philosophy.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RNE
Not exactly correct, I'm afraid. Part of the reason airplanes are full is because there are fewer seats available. Unless, of course, United has been secretly adding capacity under our noses.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1k
To the point of the thread- just called AA and got my EXP challenge. Booked my first flight on AA for January, and getting ready to book a lot of Q1 travel (none of it on UA)

I know Jeff doesn't care about 1 little 1k, but it still feels good to me to speak with my feet!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
This should be everyone's New Years resolution, every year.
Everyone should resolve to leave UA every year, agreed. I think we just need to formalize our posts in a NYR thread.

"Everyones leaving UA, its too crowded"

YB
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Yanks08802
To the point of the thread- just called AA and got my EXP challenge. Booked my first flight on AA for January, and getting ready to book a lot of Q1 travel (none of it on UA)
Any mention of earlier systemwides? I saw a post this week where a UA flyer said he was getting 8 systemwides after completing his challenge which seems like another change to the program to bring UA flyers over. Was your challenge points or miles?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
Any mention of earlier systemwides? I saw a post this week where a UA flyer said he was getting 8 systemwides after completing his challenge which seems like another change to the program to bring UA flyers over. Was your challenge points or miles?
Not trying to butt in here, but just an FYI...

I'm almost 2/3 of the way through my challenge, and mine was based on earning 25,000 points in 90 days. Upon completion, I'll get the 8 SWUs. As I understand it, that is the standard deal they are offering only to UA 1Ks. Everyone else has to pay some kind of fee for their challenge.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Back in 2012, AA did offer the systemwides up front with a 1K status match (not a challenge), but in the two years since, the offer of systemwides with a status match/challenge has not always been the case. If they're consistently offering them now after completion of a challenge, that's good news. That's why I'm curious if Yanks08802 was also offered systemwides just from his activity from the 1K challenge. I'd also note that one 1K flyer said he was given EXP status up front before starting his challenge, so there might be a couple variations. He also got systemwides after completion. Did they give you EXP status before your first flight?

Last edited by tom911; Dec 23, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Not exactly correct, I'm afraid. Part of the reason airplanes are full is because there are fewer seats available. Unless, of course, United has been secretly adding capacity under our noses.
And based on its PRASM numbers compared to its competition, the planes are more full of Kayakers than its competition.

Chase away your most frequent fliers because the benefits of keeping them around are purportedly too high. AA and DL must be laughing themselves silly.

United is an airline that the courts have found knowingly defrauds its customers (U.S. 7th Circuit Ct. of Appeals case number 14-1375) and treats those customers with utter disdain. United is an airline only for those locked into fortress hubs, those with corporate contracts (which are diminishing in number), Kayakers, and those who just don't know any better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.