Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delta adding complimentary meals to Y+ transcons. Will UA match?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta adding complimentary meals to Y+ transcons. Will UA match?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Yep, they will match it, just like they matched Delta providing pillows in First Class. United only matches Delta's bad ideas, like PQD.
I got a pillow and duvet on my p.s. flight last week. Y got mini pillows and blankets.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:48 pm

IF they match this I bet it will include aligning E+ premier benefits to that of Delta's (Discounted and not free for PS domestically and PS/PG internationally)... or maybe just throwing PG under the "at check-in" bus with the PS.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
don't think that the homeless soup kitchen contracted to cater UA will be able to handle any enhancements at this time.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I miss the cheeseburgers that Continental used to serve for everyone in E.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Economy + only ?......
Somehow I picture folks sitting in the row just behind that section wondering why they are not "privileged" enough to get the same?

"Excuse me, miss (FA), why were those people just given meals and you have to charge me?"

"Umm, I was supposed to be sitting in E+ but somehow they lost my original seat assignment, so I should be getting one of those meals here in non E+"

Does anyone else think this might create a problem or should a curtain be going up to divide economy plus so no one has the indignity of seeing such disparity (the horror !) ?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by spin88

Believe it or not, people remember, and tell others about how an airline treated them. You and I both live in the bay area, when was the last time you heard someone NOT ON FT. say something nice about UAL? I can recall once in the last year, and I have lost count of the folks who have recounted bad stories.
+1. Funny you should put it this way. I recently used UA miles to give a friend a ticket from DXB-IAD-EWR. This was not a great friend and it was last minute or I would have used EK miles but as she does not travel often, was her first trip to the US & the ticket was FREE, I figured I was doing her a big favor. Boy was I wrong. She had such a miserable flight, from the seats to the food to our famous UA Rude F/A's that she called me from NY and asked if I could get my miles back for the return, she preferred to BUY a one way on EK. I was actually embarrassed since I'm an American and UA is our flag carrier. Of course she still thanked me. I don't want to make it sound like she threw it back in my face but still preferred to pay for a ticket then get back on UA. THE Most embarrassing part is this girls from Russia and complains about Aeroflot all the time. She flys EK instead home 2-3 times a year and after her trip on UA she said she will NEVER complain about Aeroflot again
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
I wonder how DL's new E+ offering compares with VX's Main Cabin Select's offerings.
I have to say that when I was sitting on VX I was wondering why I was able to get free food on my LAX - SFO flight when it impossible on UA E+/E-. Granted the food was more a collection of snacks than an actual meal.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Love quinoa!
Would love to hear the average Y pax try to pronounce it and figure out what it is.
Hey now, let's try not to denigrate our fellow passengers or to profile F pax as more knowledgeable about superfoods.

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Economy + only ?......
Somehow I picture folks sitting in the row just behind that section wondering why they are not "privileged" enough to get the same?

"Excuse me, miss (FA), why were those people just given meals and you have to charge me?"
Thus making this something of an experiment in actual premium economy, right?

The Delta shuttle used to have a free sandwich and beer. Yields were much higher on the shuttle, though.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
She had such a miserable flight, from the seats to the food to our famous UA Rude F/A's that she called me from NY and asked if I could get my miles back for the return, she preferred to BUY a one way on EK. I was actually embarrassed since I'm an American and UA is our flag carrier. Of course she still thanked me.
Don't be embarrassed. But are you saying she was happier with 10-across Y than 9-across Y? How much was the one way on EK? I can't imagine UA being *that* bad - though an unpleasant encounter with a FA can really ruin a flight and turn a customer against a carrier for a decade or so.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Economy + only ?......

"Umm, I was supposed to be sitting in E+ but somehow they lost my original seat assignment, so I should be getting one of those meals here in non E+"

Does anyone else think this might create a problem or should a curtain be going up to divide economy plus so no one has the indignity of seeing such disparity (the horror !) ?
Maybe similar to the Virgin Australia flight I took? Between SYD and BNE in economy there is no Y+ or anything but certain fares (iirc) basically got a free snack boxy type thing. Seemed that the FAs went through and had a print out as to which seat numbers had purchased those.
I guess for Y+ where it's still in the main cabin and there is no real divider to prevent a seat poacher sneak from getting a free pita wrap they'll need to have a manifest of which seats were actually and properly sold vs. just putting the FAs on autopilot to give one to any person in those seats.

And as for making the educated masses aware in the slight difference of services offered I guess there is this thing called marketing.

Originally Posted by lensman
Hey now, let's try not to denigrate our fellow passengers or to profile F pax as more knowledgeable about superfoods.
True..there are plenty of F pax I've seen who have opted for too many of the cheeseburgers and grains, let alone the "perfect" one, are a mystery to them.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
"Delta is investing more than $3 billion in airport facilities and global products, services and technology to enhance the customer experience in the air and on the ground."

While United is cutting $2 billion to make customer experience as miserable in the air and on the ground.
What about the "planned" new terminal at IAD?

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Love quinoa!
Would love to hear the average Y pax try to pronounce it and figure out what it is.
quinoa
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)

The Delta shuttle used to have a free sandwich and beer. Yields were much higher on the shuttle, though.
It still has free beer and wine on all flights and free bagels w/ cream cheese on morning flights (standard DL peanuts/biscoff on later flights).
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thegrailer
What about the "planned" new terminal at IAD?

quinoa
What is this quino? It tastes like an icky old tree branch
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
i remember p.s. used to have gourmet meals you could order for Y that were almost on par with business meals. I actually had some and they were not bad for the $25 i paid.

if UA wants to be "friendly" they should bring that back. After all a transcon is almost just as long as a EWR-DUB route on a 757.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

Don't be embarrassed. But are you saying she was happier with 10-across Y than 9-across Y? How much was the one way on EK? I can't imagine UA being *that* bad - though an unpleasant encounter with a FA can really ruin a flight and turn a customer against a carrier for a decade or so.
Yep. She was happier in Y on a new 380 then on a 199? UA 777. I generally ONLY take EK to/from DXB but last year ended up on UA twice. My flights were not "bad" at all due to good crews (nothing like EK though). Of course I'm talking my experiences w EK/UA F vs her experiences with UA/EK Y. Obviously she was unlucky and probably had a horrible crew (it's happened to us all in all classes on UA), coupled with the food they serve (EK at least serves proper "food" in Y & then the drinks (I'll stop there).

What I told her and what I believe is true is she got a bad crew (happens from time to time & that will ruin a flight before even take off) but UA ain't EK in ANY class so set expectations accordingly. UA works if you are in Washington and MUST take an evening departure but other then that, I don't care how many miles you earn, when paying for a F (or J) ticket and flying to the Gulf or India, I want my money's worth & considering EK's fares in F (so I assume J) are the same or cheaper then UA's, I can't think of any reason to fly UA to the region (just like I can't imagine flying UA over SQ to Singapore.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond

EK has
-good food in Y
-2-3" more seat pitch in Y (compared to Y-)
-friendly FAs that follow basic personal hygiene standards
-new planes w/ wifi

To somebody who doesn't struggle with girth, this is obviously far preferable to 9 abreast and none of the above.

That said, a free ticket on a safe carrier is always a nice gesture...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.