Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot Suffers Heart Attack Mid-Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
Aside from the question of security.
What question of security? Are you suggesting that there are terrorists flying around on flights just in case a pilot has a heart attack and volunteers are asked for to assist in the cockpit?! It seems that the benefit of having somebody to assist with checklists, radio, monitoring instruments etc vastly outweighs either the potential distraction factor or the tiny tiny possibility that somebody crazy gets into the cockpit.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold
I always thought flight attendants were trained to use an automated defibrillator and to respond to medical emergencies. Great that there were two nurses on board, but does this mean the FAs would not have known what to do?

Just curious...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by criostal
I always thought flight attendants were trained to use an automated defibrillator and to respond to medical emergencies. Great that there were two nurses on board, but does this mean the FAs would not have known what to do?
If you have the option, let the trained medical staff do it. They're more proficient and insulates the airline from a little liability.

As for the flight experience, I think it would be pretty obvious to any pilot if the person they called up to help wasn't qualified. You're not asking the new person to make any decisions, just take over some rote tasks to lessen the workload on the remaining pilot and hopefully just be an extra set of eyes/ears to catch anything that might be going wrong earlier.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:30 pm
axl

Originally Posted by raehl311
If you have the option, let the trained medical staff do it. They're more proficient and insulates the airline from a little liability.

As for the flight experience, I think it would be pretty obvious to any pilot if the person they called up to help wasn't qualified. You're not asking the new person to make any decisions, just take over some rote tasks to lessen the workload on the remaining pilot and hopefully just be an extra set of eyes/ears to catch anything that might be going wrong earlier.
Unless things were VERY challenging for me in the cockpit I would not have a non military or commercial pilot (re. US airline) in the cockpit. Due to security concerns I would prefer one of our flight attendants over a private/CFI/recreational pilot. I won't second guess that FO - each situation is unique and if he/she felt more comfortable doing that then that's their prerogative...after all, they were now the PIC.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by axl
Unless things were VERY challenging for me in the cockpit I would not have a non military or commercial pilot (re. US airline) in the cockpit. Due to security concerns I would prefer one of our flight attendants over a private/CFI/recreational pilot. I won't second guess that FO - each situation is unique and if he/she felt more comfortable doing that then that's their prerogative...after all, they were now the PIC.
The quotes I've seen suggest a retired US Airforce pilot was the passenger who assisted.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:17 pm

I will agree with axl (and every bit of training, and UA policy) on this. Of course, all situations are different than the last or next, but unless there are a lot of big problems going on in addition to the other pilot's incapacitation problem, I would not even think of allowing a non-airline pilot, nor anyone else into the cockpit. The best of all solutions would be to have a pilot from our airline who's qualified in that type of aircraft, then one that's not, but still a UA pilot, then one from a different airline. That's as far as it goes, though. The chances of someone not familiar at least with large jet two-pilot operations being more distraction than advantage are too great. The security issues, while seemingly small, still exist also. Simply put, the risks outweigh the advantages, so it is against UA policy to have the vast majority of people in the cockpit. In fact, I'd rather have one of our flight attendants in the cockpit over a non-airline pilot.

All United pilots, and I'd have to assume that those from all US airlines, are trained in dealing with pilot incapacitation. There are no training scenarios that I've ever had that call for getting a non-airline pilot into the cockpit.

Getting the incapacitated pilot into a safe environment and getting the best care we can for him or her is very high on our list of priorities, no different than with a passenger in the same medical situation, but all, or even most other things being equal, the remaining pilot is capable of handling the situation.

FAB
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Col Ronson

All passengers are vetted before they board the aircraft...that's what airport security is. If somebody randomly out of the blue is going to decide to do something bad, well then we have bigger problems.
United Passengers are definitely not vetted before they go on the plane; maybe happens with an airline like El Al, but certainly not UA. To be a commercial pilot requires a substantial amount of psychometric, psychological, psychiatric vetting amongst others.

Lots of psychos fly as passengers in airplanes and I would not want any in a cockpit. Some of them probably think they can fly a plane or treat a heart attack. Indeed several people in this forum have spend so much of their lifetime in airplanes that they too think they can fly planes and know what a copilot should or should not do in emergency.

If there is no off-duty pilot from United on board then I would rather the copilot takes his/her chance with a FA in the cockpit. There is a reason cockpit doors are kept locked and it is not just to avoid terrorists.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ani90
United Passengers are definitely not vetted before they go on the plane; maybe happens with an airline like El Al, but certainly not UA. To be a commercial pilot requires a substantial amount of psychometric, psychological, psychiatric vetting amongst others.

Lots of psychos fly as passengers in airplanes and I would not want any in a cockpit. Some of them probably think they can fly a plane or treat a heart attack. Indeed several people in this forum have spend so much of their lifetime in airplanes that they too think they can fly planes and know what a copilot should or should not do in emergency.

If there is no off-duty pilot from United on board then I would rather the copilot takes his/her chance with a FA in the cockpit. There is a reason cockpit doors are kept locked and it is not just to avoid terrorists.
While I see your point of view, I'd rather take my chances with the un-vetted pilot in the extremely small chance that the other co-pilot has a situation (medical or otherwise)... you want to have someone that has basic flying experience (and atleast a few minutes of seeing how to actually fly the thing).

Either way -- I think both chances (sudo pilot going rogue or 2nd pilot being incapacitated) are extremely small.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by edcho
While I see your point of view, I'd rather take my chances with the un-vetted pilot in the extremely small chance that the other co-pilot has a situation (medical or otherwise)... you want to have someone that has basic flying experience (and atleast a few minutes of seeing how to actually fly the thing).

Either way -- I think both chances (sudo pilot going rogue or 2nd pilot being incapacitated) are extremely small.
Read response by freshairborne. Issue is not a pseudo pilot going rogue but that people may think think they are helping but don't realize they are harming. Some times the most dangerous helper is the informed or partly informed one who thinks he knows it all.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:40 pm

If the first officer also had a medical incident and became incapacitated, it would be nice to have the passenger who was the best qualified pilot or retired pilot identified and near the cockpit standing by. They don't have to be in the cockpit unless they regularly fly a jet. I have often had many fare paying jet pilots sitting next to me.

Although rare, the second officer has a lot more stress and high blood pressure from the heart attack incident, so medical risk has to be heightened at that point.

I had a friend whose mother went to check on the grandmother. She found the grandmother dead, and dropped dead herself. Dual funeral. Just have the ducks lined up in the event the unlikely event happens on a plane.

Originally Posted by criostal

Just curious...
Agreed that the FAs can run the defibrillator, but I have family and friends in the medical profession, and the nurse can do better than a well trained lay person, the advanced nurse practitioner or EMT even better, doctor more better, cardiologist the best. Well before the patient codes, most medical professionals pull in the most qualified.

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
but we're getting off topic. I'm glad the pilot survived. Moral of the story, everyone on an airplane needs to carry aspirin. Greatly increases your chances of surviving a heart attack.
I actually take a 325 mg before I get on the plane and carry it with me. I make sure my travelling companion takes one if not medically contraindicated for them.

And the aspirin can only help for DVT purposes. (At least in my opinion.)

The only time I ever had leg and ankle swelling was once where I flew continuously with out more than a 12 hour rest.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 16, 2014 at 1:59 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BF263533
And the aspirin can only help for DVT purposes. (At least in my opinion.)
Wait, is there any literature on this? Perhaps worth a split thread if it would derail this one...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by lensman
Wait, is there any literature on this? Perhaps worth a split thread if it would derail this one...
Whether it prevents the heart attack or DVT, the poster on the aspirin has a good point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.