Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No PQD on a bulk ticket!!! Amex tickets {resolved}, other bulk fares what do I earn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No PQD on a bulk ticket!!! Amex tickets {resolved}, other bulk fares what do I earn?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K ; Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)

* UPDATE: See posts #132, #206, #292, #373, #579 and #823, #1103 for latest info from OP
* UPDATE #2: Issue appears to have been resolved as of 7/27 (see Post #1103)

I have been a loyal United customer for years and I have rarely complained about the many devlutions over the years. But today I have hit the boiling point.

I will simply copy the message that I just sent to United Customer Service:

My name is 'hillta1' and I am currently a Premier 1K Member in the United MileagePlus program and I had a question about the new Elite Qualification Dollars (EDQs) that are being used starting in 2014 to qualify for elite status. I have been loyal to United and been Premier 1K four of the last 5 years and fly United for all business and personal travel.

I work for a large company that uses a travel agency (American Express Global Business Travel) to book our business airline travel. I just completed a trip (SFO-SEA-IAH-BWI) in Paid First Class (A Fare) and received the expected number of Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) and Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) along with the 50% fare bonus. However, the there were no EQD awarded because the flight was "not eligible" according to website. The ticket cost $2089.97.

My colleague (also Premier 1K) used the same travel agency to book a first class flight (SBA-SEA-SBA) last week and had the same result: EQM and EQS were awarded (with 50% fare bonus) but "not eligible" for EQD.

I called the Premier Line and the agent stated that the ticket was a "bulk rate" ticket and not eligible for EQD by program rules. Huh?

In 2013 I completed:

EQM: 101,159
EQS: 119.5
Spend: $25,000 (approx)

If United does not credit EQDs from our travel agency my 2014 total would read:

EQM: 100,000+
EQS: 120+
Spend: $25,000 (approx)
EQD: $0

I would not qualify for even the lowest elite tier and would be behind someone that who has never set foot on an airplane if they happen to hold a United Credit Card.

I have three questions that I would like answered:

1) How can a $2000 ticket be eligible for EQM and EQS -- plus a 50% fare bonus -- and not be eligible for EQD?

2) How can an airline expect someone to spend $25,000 on Paid First Class tickets with no elite status eligibility?

3) My annual totals (100,000+ miles and 100+ segments) make me eligible for the highest tier at any other major carrier in the U.S. How could I possibly remain with United?

I have passed this information about ineligibility for EQD to the other employees of the company (since we are all required to use the travel agency) so that each can make an informed decision about whom to fly in 2014 and beyond (most of us are Premier 1K). Since it is early in the year this provides all of the employees an opportunity to realign as needed. I will forward your response to my email to the staff.

Thank you.

Last edited by hillta1; Jul 27, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS
Here's to hoping this is a wacky glitch because that sucks big time.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by harryhood
Here's to hoping this is a wacky glitch because that sucks big time.
Sucks big time is a serious understatement.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I can't imagine they'd screw you like that. The stipulation for $ PQD credit is that it's a 016 ticketing number, which can come from .bomb, travel agencies, phone booking, etc. Hope will be resolved quickly!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
UA is trying to make it easy for you. One less thing to keep track of.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
The decision is simply business. UA gets the most money from a 016 ticket stock; and far less from tickets issued by anybody else. Flyer Friendly indeed.

Your only hope is to get a UA Chase Visa and just spend $25k yearly on it and the best you'll get is Platnium.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
The stipulation for $ PQD credit is that it's a 016 ticketing number
The 016 restriction is only for *A partners. If it's UA metal, the ticket stock doesn't matter.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
There is no requirement to ticket UA flights on 016 to get PQD credit. The 016 requirement only exists for non-UA Star Alliance flights. Go look at the premier qualifications page on UA.com. If you fly UA metal you get PQD credit with tickets issued by anyone (i.e., on any airline stock). This would appear to be a bug with their new tracking software. I'm no fan of UA these days and, in fact, have taken most of my flying elsewhere but this looks almost certainly like an error. Call the 1K desk or MP and get someone to look at it.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
PQD-friendly!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K ; Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
For what it's worth the tickets are all 016 stock.

Also, I tried calling both Premier 1K desk and MileagePlus Desk (separate calls) and both said the same thing 'bulk not eligible for PQD'. Both realized the irony (driving away $25K in revenue). One of the agent (can't remember which) suggested I email United and thought that would have more traction than phone calls.

But neither felt that this was 'an error' per United's current rules. The rule says 'no bulk fares' so they were hamstrung (they can only follow the policy).

I can tell you that 'bulk rate' does not mean 'cheap'. I may have had one ticket under $1000 in 2013.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Aren't the end users not supposed to know the fares on bulk tickets? Just the travel dept who negotiated them?

Originally Posted by hillta1
3) My annual totals (100,000+ miles and 100+ segments) make me eligible for the highest tier at any other major carrier in the U.S. How could I possibly remain with United?
Does Delta give MQD for bulk tickets?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
guess the price is BULK $$$ and bulk is zero for United. Sucks for those buying bulk discounted tickets since they don't appear to earn PQDs. My company (and 80% of my travel is on personal dime) does not buy such tickets and receipts always read a proper dollar amont.
Good luck to the OP; I guess DL will do the same thing which leaves AA for another year until they jump on the bandwagon.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
If true...
This is just more of United's EXTREMELY short sighted view of things. They see that they can save a tiny bit of PDQ ranking points, and in return don't even notice that the person no longer flies them over it.

Gain 10 cents today
Lose 25k tomorrow

It's extremely petty, and anti-customer for the sake of it. On one level, you could say that it's a nudge to get the customer to buy directly from United.com, but knowing that most large corporations cannot do that, then it is more or less UA saying, we do not value any large business customer at all. It doesn't matter how much money you give us, we are going to bend over your employee, no lube... you get the picture

Last edited by CO_Nonrev_elite; Jan 12, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Ah, guess didn't sound like bulk in OP. Ouch.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
yeah i just noticed that it was a bulk ticket. Bulk tickets generally get airlines no money at all.

-------
The official rule is you get PQD for ALL flights on UA Metal, regardless of ticket stock so i retract my original ticket. if someone else is booking your UA tickets, you should be good as long as its on UA.

But bulk fares do not count. You might have paid $25k, but UA deff didn't get $25k of the money you paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.