Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Was finally told my 1k status doesnt make me any more important by a UA Rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum

Over the past years I have been feeling less and less worthless to UA as an extremely loyal customer. From my calculations 130k+ Elite miles, ~30k in spend. I know some of you GS guys laugh at that, but its a lot for me.

Over the course of 2013 my bag continuously kept getting put "on the next flight" even though I made the checkin with plenty of time, nothing oversized, heavy, etc.

Well yesterday I got on the 8:56 flight from EWR to FLL. Checked my bag in an hour before. I get to FLL, no bag. I got to the counter, wait 45 mins in line (it was a zoo) and the rep tells me Its on the 4 PM arrival should be at the hotel by 6 PM. No worries, I miss one meeting but Ill make dinner and my AM meetings.

To keep it shorts, multiple phone calls throughout the night, this morning, etc and no one can give me a straight answer. When talking with a rep last night i was very bluntly told,

“Your bag is no more important than anyone else’s, it doesn’t matter that you are a 1k member.”

I was shocked. The rep absolutely didn't care.

Why doesn't united have a better way of tracking bags?!? In my opinion instead of sending out those stupid yellow handles, pay a company 10 bucks a month and give you cellular/GPS devices so customers can real time track their bags or put in a system that does it through the app based on barcode scans.

Any ideas on who to reach out to? I already emailed customer care and the 1k voice email.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Parikh1234
Over the past years I have been feeling less and less worthless to UA as an extremely loyal customer.

I was shocked. The rep absolutely didn't care.
I think you meant "more & more worthless" which is something that most of us have learned since the merger. It actually took someone at UA to tell you what we have all known for the past 2 or so years, "U B nuttin"!!!

I personally have 8 flight in the next 3 months and then I am done with this crap and this airline, except to eventually burn up the 900K miles that I have banked.

Write away, but you're preaching to the choir, because it's just asking for b.s. to request some sort of appreciation for your past loyalty!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Sorry typing in a furious rage probably leads to a few errors, but yes, I agree with you. My only problem is that I don't know who to switch to. I fly exclusively out of EWR and there aren't many options
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
... i was very bluntly told,

“Your bag is no more important than anyone else’s, it doesn’t matter that you are a 1k member.”...
Without knowing how the entire conversation went it's tough to pass judgement on the agent, especially if the tone of the conversation was somewhat contentious (which would be no surprise given that you were getting pretty frustrated at that point, I suspect) and if the DYKWIA card was played. I have a hard time believing that an agent would just blurt that out without some sort of provocation.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Without knowing how the entire conversation went it's tough to pass judgement on the agent, especially if the tone of the conversation was somewhat contentious (which would be no surprise given that you were getting pretty frustrated at that point, I suspect) and if the DYKWIA card was played. I have a hard time believing that an agent would just blurt that out without some sort of provocation.
I agree with you, I dont remember the whole conversation, but I basically asked her whats the point of the priority tag if my bag is going to get bumped and if delayed wont get to me any faster? She responded with that and said once its in a delayed / lost status, bag status doesnt matter. I sure was fustrated but I am VERY aware and make it a point to always keep telling myself that its not the rep's fault. She doesnt own the airline and getting angry at her doesnt do me any good. I was very careful with that.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry typing in a furious rage probably leads to a few errors, but yes, I agree with you. My only problem is that I don't know who to switch to. I fly exclusively out of EWR and there aren't many options
You're stuck! Get used to it, Fly the new and improved Friendly Skies™

Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You're stuck! Get used to it, Fly the Friendly Skies™
lol thanks! Nothing about the past 24 hours has been friendly at all. I should have flown delta
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You're stuck! Get used to it, Fly the new and improved Friendly Skies™

Unless you want to drive down to PHL and switch to US....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Unless you want to drive down to PHL and switch to US....
That would add about 2 hours to my commute easily. I could do JFK or LGA but those could be 2 hours as well with traffic. Newark is 20 mins MAX with traffic.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Is there indeed no longer a separate 1K Baggage phone line?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:00 am

Don't let ONE person get you down. Actually, they told you the truth, it's getting so that most employees are also so fed and get pissed at everyone, even 1K's. It's only a job to most of them, not some sort of fraternity. Baggage claim people are probably the most ridiculed and hassled of them all, and hearing, "DYKWIA" over & over probably is the last straw at times (not saying you did that). Status means practically NOTHING (and that's the truth), except for most GS's. 1K's are a dime a dozen and as such, and as the saying goes, "If you've got a dime, call someone that cares!"
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:02 am

That would add about 2 hours to my commute easily. I could do JFK or LGA but those could be 2 hours as well with traffic. Newark is 20 mins MAX with traffic.
And that's especially why they don't care... you're a captive flyer.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Is there indeed no longer a separate 1K Baggage phone line?
Nope, just a premiere baggage line. Took no less than 30 minutes yesterday. One rep even told me the GS guys were waiting 30 mins

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Don't let ONE person get you down. Actually, they told you the truth, it's getting so that most employees are also so fed and get pissed at everyone, even 1K's. It's only a job to most of them, not some sort of fraternity. Baggage claim people are probably the most ridiculed and hassled of them all, and hearing, "DYKWIA" over & over probably is the last straw at times (not saying you did that). Status means practically NOTHING (and that's the truth), except for most GS's. 1K's are a dime a dozen and as such, and as the saying goes, "If you've got a dime, call someone that cares!"
I understand that, but if thats the case, dont go out of your way to market it like that. Get rid of the BS priority tags and just tell us that its not more important. If there is an expectation set, I will know not to schedule meetings, etc the same day as I land.

Originally Posted by edcho
Exactly. Even if I did leave, whats 30k of revenue to them? Wouldnt even show up on their radar.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by edcho
+1 Yep your stuck. No different for me here either I'm afraid.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
+1 Yep your stuck. No different for me here either I'm afraid.
Honestly, I have never been GS, but I would pay 10k a year on top of my spend to become GS. I wish you could buy in to that, if it was actually worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.