FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1538481-ua-account-hacked-reports-fraudulent-award-travel-redemption.html)

aacharya May 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by shengwan (Post 22933350)
I suppose UA must have this persons ID when checking in? This is on UA metal btw.

Do you think UA keeps a copy of the ID when someone is checking in? Have you seen that happen? They glance to confirm identity matches bags, and that's it. If the person isn't checking bags (and not traveling internationally) they don't ever see the ID.

If you mean UA's scan of the passport - if you think UA is going to hand that over to you, or can even access that without a court order...well....reread the advice I gave you up front.

Kacee May 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Was your contact e-mail changed in your account? If so, it seems to me that would be evidence you could show UA to support claim your account was hacked. If your contact e-mail was not changed, then you would have received a confirm and ticketing receipt when the ticket was booked.

shengwan May 27, 2014 12:48 pm

I have heard about these frauds on Air China, but this person who redeemed award ticket on my account is definitely not Chinese by name. I suppose there are some loopholes in UA system given the recent CA award fraud issues.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22933311)
I asked because there is an entire thread of award flight fraud most likely originating from China.

I thought about that too, someone on internet posted thief would change email address before booking and change it back. I don't know what dept within UA should they carry out and investigation. I was told to fill out an report at united.com/feedback. I am hoping someone here with similar knowledge would provide a phone number.

http://first2board.com/willrunformil...t-compromised/

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22933365)
Was your contact e-mail changed in your account? If so, it seems to me that would be evidence you could show UA to support claim your account was hacked. If your contact e-mail was not changed, then you would have received a confirm and ticketing receipt when the ticket was booked.

No, I was hoping to get suggestions or at least a phone number from UA fraud department. I was wondering if a police report would help my case anyway (in UA's view).

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 22933364)
Do you think UA keeps a copy of the ID when someone is checking in? Have you seen that happen? They glance to confirm identity matches bags, and that's it. If the person isn't checking bags (and not traveling internationally) they don't ever see the ID.

If you mean UA's scan of the passport - if you think UA is going to hand that over to you, or can even access that without a court order...well....reread the advice I gave you up front.

Catbert10 May 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by shengwan (Post 22933193)
UA agent claim it was my fault to gave away my login and password

Gotta love this one. I can't count the number of times MP support (and before that OnePass support) has asked me to give them my # and PIN. Over the phone. While I'm in a public place, like an airport...

aacharya May 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by shengwan (Post 22933463)
aacharya, Does UA 155 from Federated States of Micronesia (KSA) to HNL considered Intentional flight? Do you have this knowledge?

The FSM are an independent sovereign nation that is not considered part of the United States. Whether they are considered international depends on your meaning of the term. Loosely, it is international. But so is DUB-EWR, though you pre-clear customs.

kenn0223 May 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by shengwan (Post 22933463)
aacharya, Does UA 155 from Federated States of Micronesia (KSA) to HNL considered Intentional flight? Do you have this knowledge?

It depends on for what purpose. For immigration/customs the FSM is a sovereign nation, so yes its an international flight.

From United's perspective, its somewhat of a hybrid (but more domestic than not). The 737 used on the route is a typical domestic first class configuration and the meal service is closer to domestic than international. You can, however, use the lounge in Hawaii and GUM. Do a search for Island Hopper for more info.

sbm12 May 27, 2014 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223 (Post 22933517)
It depends on for what purpose. For immigration/customs the FSM is a sovereign nation, so yes its an international flight.

Correct. And UA would have collected and transmitted APIS data for the passenger. They have the passport details used.

What they're willing to do with them is a different discussion completely, but they have that data in their systems.

shengwan May 27, 2014 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 22933312)
All UA would have is a name, e-mail address and passport (maybe).

No full physical or mailing address is needed for award redemption. Even if they did somehow have it, they're not giving it to you.

I am not defending UA at all, but you need to know what UA has/doesn't have and not make assumptions.

If you're done with contacting MPSC, call the police. (Personally, I'd call UA back, start with fraud, and force them to do something - many ways of making agents do more).

AA doesn't have for anything for award redemption (which is more scary), but EXP desk is far superior to 1k desk imo.

Originally Posted by Catbert10 (Post 22933434)
Gotta love this one. I can't count the number of times MP support (and before that OnePass support) has asked me to give them my # and PIN. Over the phone. While I'm in a public place, like an airport...

Thanks, I guess local police report probably won't do me any good.

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 22933496)
The FSM are an independent sovereign nation that is not considered part of the United States. Whether they are considered international depends on your meaning of the term. Loosely, it is international. But so is DUB-EWR, though you pre-clear customs.

Thanks

From United's perspective, its somewhat of a hybrid (but more domestic than not). The 737 used on the route is a typical domestic first class configuration and the meal service is closer to domestic than international. You can, however, use the lounge in Hawaii and GUM. Do a search for Island Hopper for more info.

drewguy May 27, 2014 1:15 pm

So they should have passport info retained . . .

AlreadyThere May 27, 2014 1:16 pm

I would think the Visa card used to pay the taxes would provide a path to the perpetrator, and UA clearly has that, even if the res agent can't see the whole thing. For example, they can do an add/collect from the same card when there is a fare change without asking for the number again.

I would also hope that a history of your online account would show two email address changes. If it doesn't, why didn't you get a confirmation email?

FlyingNut724 May 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by shengwan (Post 22933411)
No, I was hoping to get suggestions or at least a phone number from UA fraud department. I was wondering if a police report would help my case anyway (in UA's view).

Yes contact you police department and file a report. They then should be able to get the information from UA as to who actually booked the ticket. Submit the police report to UA in an effort to get your miles back.

Note sure if a a DOT complaint would work. The 4 digit PIN Protection on the UA Website is outrageous, and needs to be turned off.

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 22933558)
I would think the Visa card used to pay the taxes would provide a path to the perpetrator, and UA clearly has that, even if the res agent can't see the whole thing. For example, they can do an add/collect from the same card when there is a fare change without asking for the number again.

That could have been stolen as well. At some point, this turns into a flying public security issue....

PV_Premier May 27, 2014 1:27 pm

UA should have a fraud department that would be willing to look into this. The challenge will be finding someone who knows how (and is willing) to connect you to them. I would start with an MPSC supervisor, personally. I have great doubts that a police report is going to have any success.

dbaker May 27, 2014 1:37 pm

Although everyone is assuming the opposite, I'm going to go ahead and bet that the person flying was not the one who booked the ticket and the traveler has no idea about the alleged fraud.

shengwan May 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Possibly:(.

Originally Posted by dbaker (Post 22933677)
Although everyone is assuming the opposite, I'm going to go ahead and bet that the person flying was not the one who booked the ticket and the traveler has no idea about the alleged fraud.

AlreadyThere May 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by dbaker (Post 22933677)

Doesn't really matter, he or she will know very well from whom s/he got the ticket. His or her credit card is "on the line", and since the trip was international, there can't be an identity fraud issue. Could UA allege fraud and charge the full fare to that card?