FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1538481-ua-account-hacked-reports-fraudulent-award-travel-redemption.html)

mgcsinc Jan 6, 2014 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 22099381)
Often times the travelers booked using stolen miles are unknowing 3rd parties thinking that they're getting a great deal on a ticket; the thief is a middleman providing the service.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at with my post upthread. My GF has been subjected to a similar sort of identity theft - someone stole her info and then went around a neighborhood selling cable to people (presumably for cash) using her info to open the accounts.

mdpdjx Jan 6, 2014 8:28 pm

This is a strange one. It is so easy for United to cancel the tickets. So why would a thief bother to do this? Does he think you wouldn't notice?

WineCountryUA Jan 6, 2014 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by mdpdjx (Post 22100069)
This is a strange one. It is so easy for United to cancel the tickets. So why would a thief bother to do this? Does he think you wouldn't notice?

One appraoch , the thief converted the tickets into cash immediately. Booked ticket for another party and ripped them off, as discussed earlier in this thread.

mahasamatman Jan 6, 2014 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by mdpdjx (Post 22100069)
It is so easy for United to cancel the tickets. So why would a thief bother to do this? Does he think you wouldn't notice?

Most people don't check their accounts as often as FTers do, and if the ticket is only a few days out, it might be enough time. Plus, if it's a third-party scammer, once that person collects payment, he/she doesn't care what happens to the tickets.

denver19 Jan 6, 2014 9:07 pm

Trip insurance. They buy, don't fly and try to collect. It happened on my account, but Chase called and we headed them off.

FlyerChrisK Jan 6, 2014 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22100104)
Most people don't check their accounts as often as FTers do, and if the ticket is only a few days out, it might be enough time. Plus, if it's a third-party scammer, once that person collects payment, he/she doesn't care what happens to the tickets.

You don't need to check your United account daily to see this sort of thing: Vigilance over credit card activity achieves the same thing across every merchant that has handled your credit card data.

Phil Level Jan 6, 2014 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22100102)
One appraoch , the thief converted the tickets into cash immediately. Booked ticket for another party and ripped them off, as discussed earlier in this thread.

+1 - I recall this discussed previously on FT and the the person(s) were met at gate on arrival by authorities and arrested.

As a means of early detection, I have account alerts set on on my chase MP card so I get an email on any charge over a set $ amount. This would allow me to call Chase and/or UA and report fraud probably well before the flight time.

malgudi Jan 6, 2014 10:50 pm

Whoa ... why have the PIN work for web login even after you've setup a password. This basically negates any strong password, doesn't take long to crack a 4 digit PIN.

But then again this is the crack UA IT team we're talking about :rolleyes:

mgcsinc Jan 6, 2014 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 22100746)
Whoa ... why have the PIN work for web login even after you've setup a password. This basically negates any strong password, doesn't take long to crack a 4 digit PIN.

But then again this is the crack UA IT team we're talking about :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced that the relatively few United.com "hackers" out there are accomplishing it though brute force.

mahasamatman Jan 6, 2014 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 22100746)
Whoa ... why have the PIN work for web login even after you've setup a password.

Why have a PIN at all? Probably because the Commodore 64 running SHARES can't handle anything more complicated, or because the finite number of monkeys in UA's IT department can't figure out how to get it to work correctly.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 22100613)
You don't need to check your United account daily to see this sort of thing: Vigilance over credit card activity achieves the same thing across every merchant that has handled your credit card data.

That works for large charges like revenue tickets, but how many people monitor their credit card for $5 award fee charges? And how would that work for mileage transfers or redemptions that don't generate charges?

UrbaneGent Jan 6, 2014 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 22097098)
Did you make report to police/FBI? If they got tickets, the tickets will have names on them and the hotel will too, though hotel may just be your name.

From my own experience, the police don't care - they have better things to do. My garbage collector stole my identity via discarded mail. Over two year, he bought two cars, numerous credit cards, rented a house - he even got $20K of dental work under my name! He made the payments and then defaulted on everything, which I then found out. I filed a report in Chicago and I took everything to the Lansing Police Department where the guy lived. I had his real name, address and a thick file of everything and they didn't or couldn't do anything! The only thing one can do is be on top of everything and shred all documents. At least OP had no damage done to his credit.

dcpdxtrans Jan 6, 2014 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Level:22100701

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22100102)

+1 - I recall this discussed previously on FT and the the person(s) were met at gate on arrival by authorities and arrested.

As a means of early detection, I have account alerts set on on my chase MP card so I get an email on any charge over a set $ amount. This would allow me to call Chase and/or UA and report fraud probably well before the flight time.

Back in the 90s someone got a hold of my AX number & changed the address of my card. They purchased a $5k ticket to the carribean & were set to return prior to the statement closing.

I just happened to check something else & discovered the fraud. I begged AX to do something but they said wait until the statement closed. I called the secret service (which @the time handled credit card theft) & they would touch it only if the value was $7500. I called the local police & nada.

After statement closed, I had to contest charges. Nothing was done against fraudsters, very disappointing.

Pat89339 Jan 6, 2014 11:13 pm

The 4-digit pin is also the reason I shred all boarding passes and printed itineraries. I don't want my MP number floating around.

mgcsinc Jan 6, 2014 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 22100855)
The 4-digit pin is also the reason I shred all boarding passes and printed itineraries. I don't want my MP number floating around.

Look, brute force is just not that likely here. Phishing and the like are way more likely to be the way these folks are getting PINs. It's really not a big concern.

In any case, due to concerns like yours, UA has now taken the complete MP number off of boarding passes.

username Jan 7, 2014 12:09 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22100834)
Why have a PIN at all? Probably because the Commodore 64 running SHARES can't handle anything more complicated, or because the finite number of monkeys in UA's IT department can't figure out how to get it to work correctly.

There we go again. SHARES handles the reservations and I don't think it has anythnig to do with the PINs. MileagePlus is a different system.