FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1538481-ua-account-hacked-reports-fraudulent-award-travel-redemption.html)

HKG_Flyer1 May 5, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks for the insight, WineCountryUA... very interesting.

Still, trying to figure out why they wouldn't be confirming account changes/activity with the email address on-file. Hasn't that been standard protocol for frequent traveler accounts for years?

WineCountryUA May 5, 2016 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1 (Post 26582227)

Still, trying to figure out why they wouldn't be confirming account changes/activity with the email address on-file. Hasn't that been standard protocol for frequent traveler accounts for years?

Account changes usually, making bookings not necessarily. I think you will find will most airlines the booking email change be changed at booking (not a permanent change, just for that booking).

HKG_Flyer1 May 5, 2016 3:58 pm

Interesting... I have been the subject of two other FF account attempted hackings over the years, and both times the theft was caught because I was automatically notified via email of account activity taking place and was able to immediately intercede.

EmailKid May 5, 2016 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 26566205)
Pretty sure you can change email recipient at time of purchase without changing default email recipient. In which case you would not receive an email.

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1 (Post 26582227)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 26582258)
Account changes usually, making bookings not necessarily. I think you will find will most airlines the booking email change be changed at booking (not a permanent change, just for that booking).

OK, since I've been corrected by Wine due to (my) faulty memery before, went to check, and indeed, while my UA default emall is a Yahoo account, for my last trip on UA in February went ONLY to my Google account because that's what I typed in the TO: field.

igorros2000 Feb 2, 2017 2:54 pm

Merged account

I am trying to login to my account but it seems like everything was transferred/merged with another account and agent do not giving me any information about it. Help!

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 2, 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by igorros2000 (Post 27856793)
I am trying to login to my account but it seems like everything was transferred/merged with another account and agent do not giving me any information about it. Help!

I'm not sure what advice you can expect here. You'll have to deal with Mileage Plus Service Center.

cfischer Feb 3, 2017 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by igorros2000 (Post 27856771)

send an Email to the address in the wiki.

jonisflying Feb 3, 2017 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by igorros2000 (Post 27856771)

Call United. Don't email. Call, right away.

steaminer Feb 3, 2017 6:18 pm

If you call, they should be able to tell you what account it was merged with. It may be accidental if you have a common name

jubujoy Sep 8, 2018 2:27 pm

my MileagePlus acct was hacked - any ideas how, and what to do?

I've just discovered that about 2 weeks ago nearly all of my miles were redeemed for Walmart (20k+) and Starbucks GC's. I'm trying to figure out how that could have happened. My other airline accounts haven't been touched. No one else has access to my computer. I've got different passwords for each account. Can anyone tell me how this could have happened? and what are the chances of getting those miles back? I assume that the hacker has already cashed in the cards for Walmart etc. merchandise. I called UA and emailed securitytips@mileageplus and am waiting for response from the Security people. I've changed all my passwords.
Has anyone else had a problem with UA MileagePlus? Also wondering if the hacker could have gotten in through AwardWallet....

Aussienarelle Sep 8, 2018 2:31 pm

Oh jubujoy I am so sorry to read your post.

I am surprised that United does not send an e-mail when points are redeemed - to me it is one of the many failings in their IT system.

These days United no longer posts the itinerary to your account when your miles are used (recent change) - another failing in my mind. Not that this issue would have helped in your particular circumstance.

Good luck and I hope the points get reinstated.

davie355 Sep 8, 2018 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 30182910)
I am surprised that United does not send an e-mail when points are redeemed - to me it is one of the many failings in their IT system.

I would question the value of that email. When my Hilton account got hacked and points drained, the hackers also changed the email address on my account.

emcampbe Sep 8, 2018 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30182936)
I would question the value of that email. When my Hilton account got hacked and points drained, the hackers also changed the email address on my account.

but UA does, IME, send out an email to confirm change of info. to the old address with a change.

Sorry, OP. Call MP and let them know what happened - I believe they will get you in touch with the account security folks who can help you.

WineCountryUA Sep 8, 2018 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jubujoy (Post 30182897)
my MileagePlus acct was hacked - any ideas how, and what to do?

I called UA and emailed securitytips@mileageplus and am waiting for response from the Security people. I've changed all my passwords.
Has anyone else had a problem with UA MileagePlus? Also wondering if the hacker could have gotten in through AwardWallet....

You have contracted the right folks at UA.
Check to make sure your account profile has not been modified, especially email and phone information,

However your account was hacked, somehow they got your credentials -- how long since you had previously changed them? Who else had you shared them with, like AwardWallet. Whoever had the info previous should also be notified. Third parties had been a problem in the past.

Merged your posting in a previous series of discussions, so it may be helpful to read the past incidents.

JohnneeO Oct 5, 2018 11:13 am

MileagePlus proactively protected my account against fraud yesterday. Unbeknownst to me, my MP account had been hacked, and drained of its miles to purchase gift cards to be delivered to the hackers via email. MP reversed the transactions, redeposited the miles, blocked online access to my MP account, and contacted me.

I had to contact MP in order to reset my PW. After logging back in, I reset my security questions. On my account activity, I could see the fraudulent transactions, and the reversals.

I can't claim that UA is protecting their best customers here. While I am a MPE CC holder, I haven't been elite since the last day of CO on 2/28/2012, and only fly once or twice a year. My mileage balance has been in the low 6 figures, but other than that I am as ordinary of a Joe as there is.