FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536743-2014-upsell-offers-business-first-ufc-pcu-questions-discussion-paid-upgrades.html)

jpc83 Apr 28, 2014 8:58 am

Originally Posted by steviebas (Post 22771762)
Route:MCI-SFO
orig fare class:S
Price: $410
Offered at:30 days ahead
Accepted:No

Already in economy plus. No way is an upgrade in a CRJ700 worth $410.

Also, when I take the price of my original ticket, then add $410 each way for the upgrade it comes out the same price as just buying the 1st class seat in the first place!!!!!:eek:

That's an example of the system actually working for once....

FlightNurse Apr 28, 2014 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jpc83 (Post 22773619)
That's an example of the system actually working for once....

Really, I thought post # 138 was a more reasonable example.

limey1K May 1, 2014 9:18 am

I booked a flight today DEN-MSP, E fare. Before confirming my purchase, the pop-up window asked me if I'd like to UG for $59 outbound and $69 return. As my company will only pay for Y fares, I can't pull the trigger at this point as it will show that I bought a Z or similar fare. I buy the E fare ticket and then proceed to the "Buy-Up to First" option on the itinerary. My offer is now $121 outbound and $268 return. What a difference 3 minutes makes...

austin_res May 1, 2014 10:10 am

Route: DCA-IAH on the A320
Orig fare class: X - award booking
Price: $279
Offered at: OLCI
Accepted: No

ordogg May 1, 2014 12:35 pm

Route: ORD-NRT
Orig fare class: L
Price: $1329

19 seats available for purchase - how much you bet they are filled with NRSA ...

WineCountryUA May 1, 2014 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ordogg (Post 22793396)
Route: ORD-NRT
Orig fare class: L
Price: $1329

19 seats available for purchase - ....

post departure seatmap showed 35 empty business seats for UA881 (747) on 1 May (today), was this your flight? did it really go out that empty????

2 May 881 is showing 18 unbook business and no one not NRSA on waitlist (t-21)

loads are very light

Kacee May 1, 2014 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22794341)
post departure seatmap showed 35 empty business seats for UA881 (747) on 1 May (today), was this your flight? did it really go out that empty????

2 May 881 is showing 18 unbook business and no one not NRSA on waitlist (t-21)

loads are very light

853 (SFO-NRT) went out with 28 empty J seats today. Wednesday was the same and tomorrow looks wide open. Even 837, which usually books full, went out with three empty today.

megalab May 6, 2014 12:11 pm

Prix-fixe upgrade

what route: ORD-FRA
original fare bucket: P
price offered: $829
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered/accepted: Mobile app

Accept it or deny it? Deny

Due to shifting schedule I've been using SDC to switch flights (7x so far) since last Saturday, sometimes to a non-stop, sometimes a connection. Regardless of the itinerary the mobile app offered the same $829 upgrade each time there was space in GF. Ironically, the flight I've finally decide to take is full in GF.

gnaget May 6, 2014 2:17 pm

what route DEN-IAD
original fare bucket T
price offered $159
PCU/UFC? Both at this price.
Where it was offered/accepted? OLCI and App

Accept it or deny it? Accept

This is roughly the fare difference at booking between the cheapest and P class. I actually thought that I had applied a regional upgrade but had not. Then after T-24 it was too late. I was in 10th spot for a CPU (!). There was only one seat left on the flight. I would have been able to get it with the regional since it was R1 P1. I think there were only 4/12 who had upgraded the flight.

Things have changed a lot since old days. Now you can buy a discounted F class ticket for $700 on this route. I the old days it would have been >$1000.

I think it can be quite difficult to get upgrades with CPU on this route for a 1K.

flyerbjorn May 6, 2014 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by megalab (Post 22819858)
PCU/UFC? UFC

Due to shifting schedule I've been using SDC to switch flights (7x so far) since last Saturday, sometimes to a non-stop, sometimes a connection. Regardless of the itinerary the mobile app offered the same $829 upgrade each time there was space in GF. Ironically, the flight I've finally decide to take is full in GF.

Was this always for the ORD-FRA route?

FlightNurse May 7, 2014 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by megalab (Post 22819858)
PCU/UFC? UFC

Not too sure which flight you are talking about, but I'll be taking 907 this fall and GF only has 2 seats open. Is this normal for this flight?

GroundStop May 8, 2014 7:14 am

Same flight, checking in at same time, me=1K, colleague=no status

what route: SFO-LAX
original fare bucket: me=H, colleague=Q
price offered: me="F is Full", colleague=$69
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered: online

I've been on the receiving end of differing prices, but not on availability before.
FWIW, a quick check on the mobile app upgrade list indeed shows 1F seat still available, yet UA deems I am not worthy to be offered it. :td:

Kacee May 8, 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by GroundStop (Post 22830538)
Same flight, checking in at same time, me=1K, colleague=no status

what route: SFO-LAX
original fare bucket: me=H, colleague=Q
price offered: me="F is Full", colleague=$69
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered: online

And yet there are people claiming in other threads right now that this NEVER happens.

UA-NYC May 8, 2014 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22831601)
And yet there are people claiming in other threads right now that this NEVER happens.

Observation bias!!!

(even though we NEVER see the reverse happen)

;)

Kacee May 8, 2014 10:27 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 22831693)
Observation bias!!!

(even though we NEVER see the reverse happen)

;)

I'm sorry, do you have a ph.D?

:D