Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GA pulled off busy gate to bid for vacation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA pulled off busy gate to bid for vacation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by raehl311
You'd think this would be the kind of thing that could be accomplished without requiring people to be present at a particular time. I.e. ask people to select weeks of vacation and prioritize them, then have software that runs through those requests in priority order.

Can't imagine there isn't some service out there that exists to do this.
Can't they jump around the airport taking orders by status, and prioritize them in the galley
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fastair
An online system with UA's IT? We would trust it far less than the phone, and again, that is less than in person.
You do realize that the phone system is connected to a database on the back end, just like a website would be, right? Basically the same thing, but you press the 12 keys on the phone rather than using a full keyboard.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
There are two ways to bid. Both can be used for either work schedules or vacations. Assuming an office of 100 workers, a list of 100 "lines" -- combinations of days off/vacation dates -- is distributed to the employees weeks before the actual bid.

Method #1: Each employee submits their choice(s) by writing down the line numbers in the order of their preference. Employee #1 on the seniority list needs to choose only one line (bid once), because they are guaranteed whatever they want. Employee #2 must submit 2 bids, just in case their first choice is taken by #1. Employee #100 must bid 100 times. The administrator collects all of that paperwork and sorts through the bids, before posting the results ("awards"?) a few days later.

Method #2 is much more efficient. Each person comes into the office or calls in at the appointed time. The administrator can tell the employee what lines are still available with a simple yes or no. But to do that, the employee must be pulled away from their job if they are on duty.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Second, if I had an employee shooting his mouth off on a public Internet forum about him not liking his benefits, I'd fire him.
If not from the forum, how would the company know the employees are unhappy with the benefits? I personally would prefer not to complain to my boss about that.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by tom911
If the option is to stay at your post and not select a vacation, I'd be leaving the gate, too.

I worked for two different police departments that gave you 10 minute windows to select your vacation on a certain day. If you missed your window, the whole process did not stop for you and you went to the bottom of the list. Sounds like UA is handling it in a very similar way.

Maybe one of the UA employees here can share the consequences when you miss your vacation selection time.
===============
Exactly right.....see Fastair's Post #11.

But I've had panic attacks when calling in at a designated time having met with a busy signal. You just keep dialing back -- to the staff that are working the vacation bids. There's anxiety, but I've never been missed or overlooked. Where I work (not Chicago), they are well aware of people trying to call in and will phone us back if we've missed our queue and they know things are running behind. I only know of 1 or 2 times where people forgot to call in and couldn't be reached and fell to the bottom of the bid......it's usually a person who just doesn't care what they get.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Dec 15, 2013 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Reading threads like this reminds me of an old British adage - the management couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:32 pm

sCO agents (in SFO) were only allowed to hand in a written vacation bid. As for bidding our work schedules we had three options: bid in person, phone in or submit a written bid.

By the way, we have received a raise and due to the many different amounts and other issues, we have not seen our increase on our paychecks. We have been advised that we will receive these earned monies in January. Our contract was only approved the first week in November.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:14 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by sfogate
sCO agents (in SFO) were only allowed to hand in a written vacation bid. As for bidding our work schedules we had three options: bid in person, phone in or submit a written bid.

By the way, we have received a raise and due to the many different amounts and other issues, we have not seen our increase on our paychecks. We have been advised that we will receive these earned monies in January. Our contract was only approved the first week in November.
The thing with the hand written one is that the combinations of what you want if everything is open is simoke. If things aren't then it becomes very complex To say I want week number 43, 44, 45, amd 46 is easy if all 4 weeks are open. I may add weeks 47, 48, 49, and 50 as backups. Now say weeks 43, 44, 48, and 50 are open, all 4 weeks are covered, but maybe I wanted them consecutivly. Sure, my backups covered the remaining 2 weeks, but if I wanted weeks adjoining and 1 was open, but not the other, without knowing what is open, I don't know how to distribute my backup choices.

Royal, you would really fire an employee for stating that he hasn't received his pay? That's great leadership there, you as a mgmt employee can't get your act together to pay required benefits, but the employee in your world is just supposed to accept the fact that he isn't getting what he is supposed to be paid? I'm guessing the court/arbetration case would go something like this "you lose, now pay the man what you are contracted to, as well as backpay for your wrongful termination. The man had every right to complain when you did not even give him the #1 basic benefit for services offered, the required pay. If you didn't want him to complain, you should have met your end of the obligation."

The person who listed (2) methods <Sino> saying method 2 is more efficient is 100% correct. When you have multiple weeks to bid, it is imparitive to know what weeks are open. In order to do that, you need real time data. You need to know what is currently open so you can modify your choices, otherwise you might end up with 4 individual weeks scattered instead of a 2 or more weeks consecutive.

Last edited by fastair; Dec 16, 2013 at 12:20 am
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:34 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
We had a station of 20 at PWM and bid by handwritten. We had a week or so to do it.

At Delta, it's all computerized, both for shift and vacation. We get like 10 days to fill it out, and then the computer awards the shifts/weeks of vacation based on seniority. Super easy.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
if i was the company, i'd just subcontract all the gate agent jobs then. i mean, if you're gonna operate that way, why bother being employees.
Originally Posted by tom911
They did exactly that at a number of stations this year, including Rochester and Grand Rapids.
Help your United agents who help you (Outsourcing)
And the service level goes WAY DOWN when it happens.
Careful what you wish for....
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
This is either a union thing or a management thing. My vote is for union.

Second, if I had an employee shooting his mouth off on a public Internet forum about him not liking his benefits, I'd fire him.
You do realize that the "employee as slave" concept is limited to the USA?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
We had a station of 20 at PWM and bid by handwritten. We had a week or so to do it.

At Delta, it's all computerized, both for shift and vacation. We get like 10 days to fill it out, and then the computer awards the shifts/weeks of vacation based on seniority. Super easy.
Given that I could write code to do this, and my low level of skill at programming, this would not be hard to implement

Firing someone for complaining about benefits could end up being rather costly, btw.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by morelegroom
I see you missed the point
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Given that I could write code to do this, and my low level of skill at programming, this would not be hard to implement

Firing someone for complaining about benefits could end up being rather costly, btw.
You are absolutely right here.

This is a management/IT failure, pure and simple.
There is no fault with the GA's actions.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Not even close skippy.

Just look to Asia, the Middle East and Africa and you will find major labor transgressions and inhumane treatment by local, US, and European companies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.