Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
... there is a solid argument that when UA refuses to open upgrade inventory and/or sells the front cabin too cheap, particularly with the day of departure upsells, it risks losing revenue by alienating high-spending elites who move their business elsewhere.

Ultimately how UA handles upgrade inventory is up to management. But there is no question that the decline in upgrade availability has caused me to shift a substantial quantity of flying to other carriers over the past two years. If I have to pay for J/F, I'm only going to buy UA when it offers a competitive combination of price, product, and schedule, and that is often not the case.
I'm with you. I'm 1K, flying UA for the first time this year in about 2 weeks. I've shifted away from UA because of the stinginess of the upgrades. I have lifetime Platinum status for next year and beyond for those times I still fly UA.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Chevelter
I'm with you. I'm 1K, flying UA for the first time this year in about 2 weeks. I've shifted away from UA because of the stinginess of the upgrades. I have lifetime Platinum status for next year and beyond for those times I still fly UA.
If you are LT PLAT I would consider migrating as well. I just flew AS airlines both E and F class over the last several weeks in and out of Hawaii and have ZERO issues (two RT trips). I have always said there seats are far more comfortable than UA's. The staff and FAs are VERY nice. Baggage claim was fast with someone there to make sure everyone got there bags. I had previouisly planned on migrating to AS as it made the most sense for me for multiple reasons. Post merger with Virgin the new service destinations (ie. DIA) was a game changer for me. But somewhat unexpectedly late last January UA threw GS status at me so I am obviously checking into using this new status to see how things go. So far somewhat unimpressed with GS status as far as CPU clearance, instruments definitely seem to clear easier as a GS, and I have not had to use them with IRROPs yet this year where I am told they really shine. I doubt I will get the GS invite next year, not helping was the fact that prior to getting the invite I scheduled several flights with AS and mostly in paid F. I am a MM so I have UA GOLD status for life and if no GS invite next year that will probably be just fine.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
So in years past I have always used GPUs to upgrade business to first. With first completely gone, I have no use for GPUs for business travel.

I have been trying to search for a reasonable W fare with upgradable inventory and either i'm doing it wrong or it's just not possible. What are the tools/methods you use to find? Is there a way to set a google flight alert or something?

I'm open to going to most European and Asian destinations from IAD/DCA if a GPU can be applied and fare is sub $800. Fairly flexible travel dates as well.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by 100% Green
So in years past I have always used GPUs to upgrade business to first. With first completely gone, I have no use for GPUs for business travel.

I have been trying to search for a reasonable W fare with upgradable inventory and either i'm doing it wrong or it's just not possible. What are the tools/methods you use to find? Is there a way to set a google flight alert or something?

I'm open to going to most European and Asian destinations from IAD/DCA if a GPU can be applied and fare is sub $800. Fairly flexible travel dates as well.
Well, you can still use your GPUs to upgrade from biz to first on Lufthansa (which is a great experience if you have not yet flown them in 1st) ... you could always do that!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I really doubt you are going to find a W fare that's less than $800 r/t and crosses an ocean. That being said, check Tuesdays and routes to less popular *A destinations like BCN or BRU.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I really doubt you are going to find a W fare that's less than $800 r/t and crosses an ocean. That being said, check Tuesdays and routes to less popular *A destinations like BCN or BRU.
Thanks. What would you say is a good price target for w fare that crosses an ocean? I saw earlier in thread W fares from select cities to NRT for $800 so I thought that may be a good target price.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks. What would you say is a good price target for w fare that crosses an ocean? I saw earlier in thread W fares from select cities to NRT for $800 so I thought that may be a good target price.
W fares rarely move very much since they are high enough up the fare ladder to be untouched by sales. Typical W fares ex-US are in the range $1,500 to $2,000 for Europe (summer weekends are the most expensive, winter weekdays the least) and $1,000 to $1,500 for Asia. The $800 to NRT was a extremely good deal for an upgrade-able fare, which is why it got so much coverage. Other random things happen - there was once a K fare mis-filed as a V fare, allowing a $500 GPU-eligible fare from MRY to LHR.

However, with the introduction of UA PE, they have also had some R fares which have been lower than W on the same route (SFO-CDG for $1,200 in high season for example). But in any event, sub-$800 would be unrealistically good, and if you're also going to be looking for PZ space, expanding your W price tolerance would be a good start.
gsalem94122 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I saw earlier in thread W fares from select cities to NRT for $800 so I thought that may be a good target price.
That's an anomaly. A GPU-able fare to NRT will almost always cost over $1500.

Echoing findark, any W fare under $1200 is a very good deal. TATL they are rarely under $1500. I also endorse the suggestion that you look for R fares.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
RPU applied for my wife and myself on DEN-MCO Sunday 31 Mar .... J7 and still no clearing. Lots of UA stinginess going on here. I'm at least going to call back the RPU's now and wait for CPU... will be able to use them elsewhere.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

Not to me. The opposite is true!
So far this year, I've been relying on GPUs to sit up front on every flight (except one that didn't clear after I had to change an already upgraded flight on short notice).

I will have burned through them all by about June.
Since P fares are simply out of my reach this year, it looks like it may be E+ for the second half of the year....
Which also means 1K status is going to be extremely close, if at all obtainable.
I've yet to purchase anything higher than V (or was it H?).

Still hoping affordable P fares will show themselves, but not holding my breath.

A more appropriate statement [for me] would be:
"P fares are not affordable nowadays"
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

Not to me. The opposite is true!
So far this year, I've been relying on GPUs to sit up front on every flight (except one that didn't clear after I had to change an already upgraded flight on short notice).

I will have burned through them all by about June.
Since P fares are simply out of my reach this year, it looks like it may be E+ for the second half of the year....
Which also means 1K status is going to be extremely close, if at all obtainable.

Still hoping affordable P fares will show themselves, but not holding my breath.

A more appropriate statement [for me] would be:
"P fares are not affordable nowadays"
The problem for me with the P fare being not affordable this year (as I have also noticed that) is that I'm not going to be able to get to 1K so no more GPUs. Last year with 5 international long hauls, I needed 2 to be P fare just to reach the PQDs (I did get to $15,000). This year, already 3 trips booked and only on one the P fare was equivalent to last year. Also not holding my breath for the next ones.
narvik and chavala like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The problem for me with the P fare being not affordable this year (as I have also noticed that) is that I'm not going to be able to get to 1K so no more GPUs. Last year with 5 international long hauls, I needed 2 to be P fare just to reach the PQDs (I did get to $15,000). This year, already 3 trips booked and only on one the P fare was equivalent to last year. Also not holding my breath for the next ones.
Maybe next year, we will see more of the positive impacts of these changes in the form of exclusivity of 1K / GS status as there will be fewer of them (1K's specifically), and there will be especially fewer regional upgrade instruments.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The problem for me with the P fare being not affordable this year (as I have also noticed that) .
Well I am seeing the opposite for my TATL trips. Affordable P fares, PZ availability plus new PP service. Making my decision process a little harder.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Maybe next year, we will see more of the positive impacts of these changes in the form of exclusivity of 1K / GS status as there will be fewer of them (1K's specifically), and there will be especially fewer regional upgrade instruments.
If the past experiences with United are anything to go by, it won't be that there will be positive impacts for the fewer 1Ks, but rather that the benefits will stay the same for fewer people, and be worse for all the others that don't make the cut.
But I hope I am wrong!
restlessinRNO and jjmoore like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Managed to clear my SO using an RPU on DCA-SFO (Monday) and SFO-IAD (Tuesday). She's a Gold. Was not expecting them to clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.