Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
For me ( as a relatively high mileage no notice 1K ) RPUs are useless and I usually gift almost all of my GPUs to friends and less traveled coworkers. My CPU rate is above 70%.

Are GPUs worthless? You make the call.
To prove a point to a friend I made two separate and identical itns (EWR-SJO) for Feb. Both of the travelers are 1K on the same flights. I applied a GPU to my +1s. My itn has been been UGed my +1s is still waitlisted. As of this AM only about 5 or 6 F seats between the 4 flights are booked 2 of them are my UGs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:41 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
In most cases (but not all), as a 1K, if you clear an RPU, you would have cleared the CPU.
Exactly.
Wondering if United noticed this also and made the reduced RPU earning announcement for this reason.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by narvik
Exactly.
Wondering if United noticed this also and made the reduced RPU earning announcement for this reason.
When an RPU clears before the CPU's start clearing (T-96), I'd say that the RPU is not worthless. For example, my companion and I just cleared on ORD-SFO on a 772 with the legacy Global First seats. Because we cleared at T-6days13hours, on a flight where I'd surely clear as a 1K, I have the advantage of selecting the seats that I want instead of being pigeonholed into one of the four wide, reverse facing seats.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
When an RPU clears before the CPU's start clearing (T-96), I'd say that the RPU is not worthless. For example, my companion and I just cleared on ORD-SFO on a 772 with the legacy Global First seats. Because we cleared at T-6days13hours, on a flight where I'd surely clear as a 1K, I have the advantage of selecting the seats that I want instead of being pigeonholed into one of the four wide, reverse facing seats.
And it worthy too on the other end of the spectrum. When my RPU clears before the CPUs start clearing, I get to choose a seat alone on the E175.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Exactly.
Didn't get the memo I guess, can anybody elaborate on the reduced RPU earnings. Not that I really care much as I end up burning or attempting to gift most of mine over the past several years. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Didn't get the memo....
" While you’ll still earn Regional Premier Upgrades when you qualify for Premier Platinum and 1K status, you’ll no longer receive additional Regional Premier Upgrades for your activity beyond reaching Premier 1K status. "

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-upgrades.html
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
Didn't get the memo I guess, can anybody elaborate on the reduced RPU earnings. Not that I really care much as I end up burning or attempting to gift most of mine over the past several years. Thanks in advance.
No more 2 additional RPUs when you get to 125,000 PQM and so on. So, a limit of 4 RPUs total for 1Ks and GS.

But you can still get additional GPUs when you get to 150,000 PQM and for every 50,000 PQM after that.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've never had a problem using my GPUS, (although recently the domestic portion of the ticket usually waits to clear at the gate or not at all).
But RPUs are a different story. I gave most away to non-status friends but not one cleared.
Now I have 5 expiring and thought I'd use them on a couple January weekend getaways.
Nope. Not this time. I cannot find one available UG to anywhere -- and I mean ANYWHERE including cold weather destinations. I've been searching for weeks.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:07 am
GeP

International success rate >> regional success rate

I think what we're finding is that international flights (long haul) are more likely to clear than regional (North America) ones.

Point in case: PPT-SFO-IAH-FRA second week of January. Both Papeete to SFO and Houston to Frankfurt have cleared. SFO to Houston is still waitlisted selling for $208 on a 787 (so rather appealing for that route) with some 18 seats available.

Something tells me it'll be Economy Plus for that leg - which is fine, but - together with the feedback on this board - explains why UA is throttling the award of RPUs going forward: simply too much frustration on their customers' end (plus even more potential upselling).
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
No more 2 additional RPUs when you get to 125,000 PQM and so on. So, a limit of 4 RPUs total for 1Ks and GS.

But you can still get additional GPUs when you get to 150,000 PQM and for every 50,000 PQM after that.
Another strange change, always interesting to hear why UA does such changes. I am sure some elites are not happy with this. As I stated I don't really care, I almost never can use them (for that matter any instrument). I often gift them to friends and family with little to no luck (I think ONE cleared this year). These instruments are from my perspective the least useful perk to being 1K. GS is a different story.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
A new one for this file: The RPU I applied in October didn't clear on UA 762 IAD-IAH this morning--and neither did anybody else's upgrade. The front cabin showed eight unbooked Polaris seats two days out, five when I checked in, and one two and a half hours prior to departure. I was first on the upgrade list the entire time. Seeing zero no upgrades clear would be unusual enough if it didn't involve a widebody on a domestic repositioning flight, which I used to see as a sure thing a few years ago.

Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DCA writer
A new one for this file: The RPU I applied in October didn't clear on UA 762 IAD-IAH this morning--and neither did anybody else's upgrade. The front cabin showed eight unbooked Polaris seats two days out, five when I checked in, and one two and a half hours prior to departure. I was first on the upgrade list the entire time. Seeing zero no upgrades clear would be unusual enough if it didn't involve a widebody on a domestic repositioning flight, which I used to see as a sure thing a few years ago.
2 things ... 1) How do you know no upgrades cleared since UA no longer shows upgrades that clear in advance? 2) During JPM everything flying West right now is sold out ...

A GS colleague of mine is currently #8 BOS-SFO with 0 seats available ...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Getting even full J space going to JPM can be an accomplishment
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by findark
Getting even full J space going to JPM can be an accomplishment
It seems that in SF this week even cffee is going for absurd prices:
The Parc 55 hotel, based in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood, charges $170 for a gallon of coffee (that breaks down to about $21.25 for a 16-ounce cup) to any company holding a JPM Week event on its property, according to a menu obtained by STAT.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by cfischer
2 things ... 1) How do you know no upgrades cleared since UA no longer shows upgrades that clear in advance? 2) During JPM everything flying West right now is sold out ...

A GS colleague of mine is currently #8 BOS-SFO with 0 seats available ...
1) Fair point. But as a 1K on a T fare throwing in an RPU that early, there shouldn't have been many people upgraded before me if the rules worked... right? (Stop laughing at me!)

2) I was going to blame CES. At the risk of betraying my own business illiteracy, what's JPM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.