Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
In the last few years, I have noticed on more and more flights, no one cleared upgrades - e.g. TCON flights EWR to SFO or vice versa - certainly not out of ordinary the entire J class is made up of paid fares, TODs, and non-revs.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by greg99
I understand the point you're making. For *you* they're not useless, which isn't surprising, because all but one of the examples you list are flights to/from LAX (where UA is the #3 carrier) and/or to/from AA's fortress hub in PHL. It's to be expected that you wouldn't be competing against as many 1K's and GS's on those routes, and we know that UA's premium yields out of LAX aren't as strong as they would like. Surprise, surprise, the one trip involving a true hub to an international destination? You didn't clear.

The net of all of that is you're going to clear a disproportionate percentage of upgrades compared to someone based in SFO, EWR or ORD.

For those of us (who are a sizable percentage of UAL's revenues) based at UA's hubs? I've been playing the SWU game out of SFO since the late 90's, so I do know all sorts of tricks. They just don't work for me very often anymore, resulting in worthlessness for *me*. I'm not moving to LA just to be able to use my SWU's.

Greg
Too bad for you and we feel your pain.

As far as ‘sizable percentage of UAL’s revenues’, I don’t know how much I contribute but for this year, I did 2 TATL in P (CDG & GVA), a dozen or so domestic in F (discounted, mind you), and a whole bunch of B & V domestic in addition to those W and V international to use the GPUs.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
In the last few years, I have noticed on more and more flights, no one cleared upgrades - e.g. TCON flights EWR to SFO or vice versa - certainly not out of ordinary the entire J class is made up of paid fares, TODs, and non-revs.
That’s how it should be! United is out to make money, so upgrades should only be given to Elites if the seat is unsold.

it’s beyond me why people expect to pay for Economy and want to fly F or J with upgrades, and then whine when they can’t.
schlang likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You can't tell whether there have been upgrades on the premium t-cons because the only upgrades that show on the list are post check-in (and currently even that is not reliable).

That said, I now buy J on premium t-cons because the upgrade odds are so dismal. (Except I was able to confirm an RPU in advance on one of the 781 flights next Feb.)
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by sapguy

That’s how it should be! United is out to make money, so upgrades should only be given to Elites if the seat is unsold.

it’s beyond me why people expect to pay for Economy and want to fly F or J with upgrades, and then whine when they can’t.

We whine because UA has always been out to make money, but we used to clear upgrades more frequently than we did, and UA is being disingenuous by selling upgrades at deep discounts to the revenue fare differential, and in some cases charging non-elites les than elites for such upgrades, while simultaneously offering GPU’s and RPU’s as a key benefit yet making them increasingly difficult to clear.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 2018 at 3:43 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by greg99

The net of all of that is you're going to clear a disproportionate percentage of upgrades compared to someone based in SFO, EWR or ORD.

For those of us (who are a sizable percentage of UAL's revenues) based at UA's hubs? I've been playing the SWU game out of SFO since the late 90's, so I do know all sorts of tricks. They just don't work for me very often anymore, resulting in worthlessness for *me*. I'm not moving to LA just to be able to use my SWU's.

Greg
I have cleared 100% of my waitlisted GPUs thru EWR and ORD over at least the last 5 years. You, unfortunately, live near the UA hub with perhaps the highest concentration of wealthy flyers in the country, and are experiencing one of the expected outcomes of such. I know it's a hassle but, when I lived in CA, I would route through DEN or LAX (or even hubs further east) to avoid SFO as a transit airport in order to use my UGs. Now, I don't even go to SF anymore for vacation because of the deterioration downtown.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:56 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

A non-rev should never get a J seat ahead of an upgrade. This is absolutely NOT as it should be.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have cleared 100% of my waitlisted GPUs thru EWR and ORD over at least the last 5 years. You, unfortunately, live near the UA hub with perhaps the highest concentration of wealthy flyers in the country, and are experiencing one of the expected outcomes of such. I know it's a hassle but, when I lived in CA, I would route through DEN or LAX (or even hubs further east) to avoid SFO as a transit airport in order to use my UGs. Now, I don't even go to SF anymore for vacation because of the deterioration downtown.
Completely agree that SFO is a disaster of an airport to route through- about the only thing good (to me) about SFO is the AMEX Centurion Lounge, but that’s off-topic!

Like you, I have cleared a LOT of upgrades (RPUs, GPUs, & even CPUs) when routing through EWR, ORD, DEN, & IAH (all are UA fortress hubs) but whenever it’s important for me to be in F or J, then I will buy that class of service. I love it whenever {others} get stuck in the back because people like me PAY for our F or J seat (whether at booking or TOD). That how it should be as a United is out to make money first and reward its elites with upgrades second.

Back to topic: GPUs and RPUs are part of a KEY BENEFIT of being a United 1K or GS, and they not worthless as they have provided pleasurable Biz & F seats to many people including myself, even in this very ‘competitive’ upgrade environment in which unless you are a GS, don’t count too much on being upgraded out of places like SFO or IAD.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 2018 at 6:03 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Let me repeat, on some routes and during certain time of the day/week/month/year, there are no upgrades to be had. No one is talking about fairness, expectations, profit, the topic of discussion is how useful certs are. For some, they are; for others, they are not. They are route/time specific, and there are no universal one size fits all answers.
sapguy and narvik like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
A non-rev should never get a J seat ahead of an upgrade. This is absolutely NOT as it should be.
Agree! My bad for missing the comments about non-rev!

Last edited by sapguy; Nov 23, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
....don’t count too much on being upgraded out of places like SFO or IAD.
At least for SFO I think that statement might not be universally true. Domestic RPUs maybe, but there's PLENTY successes using GPUs out of or into SFO here: GPU upgrade SUCCESS 2018
I cleared 3 GPUs for SFO-AKL and AKL-SFO in December, where I was NOT expecting any luck whatsoever.

Added: in fact, I know of the weather/fog issues, and I might very well be in the minority here, but I actually kind of like SFO (and its Polaris lounge) and can't quite understand the bad rap it gets here on FT.
I've stayed in nearby hotels for a day-rate room stay on a long connection several times, and enjoyed the walk along the waterfront in warm weather immensely.
Caveat: my home airport is EWR, and I think maybe some of you Californians are just too darn spoilt!

Last edited by narvik; Nov 23, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Rules Reminder

There has a bit of "name calling" in some recent posts. Please refrain from characterizing other posters and stick to discussing the issue.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I routinely route through DEN and all I ever see are waitlists (PZ=0). This is for flights to DCA, IAD, HNL, LHR, LAX, etc.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I routinely route through DEN and all I ever see are waitlists (PZ=0). This is for flights to DCA, IAD, HNL, LHR, LAX, etc.
Sorry if I was unclear, I didn't mean that my domestic segments always cleared using a GPU to connect to an international flight in LAX/DEN but only that my international segments cleared most of the time (in the last 5 years, 100%). I have real difficulty using RPUs through most hubs for domestic flights, however DEN has been a pretty good hub for me with RPUs-CPUs, not so much.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status

Back to topic: GPUs and RPUs are part of a KEY BENEFIT of being a United 1K or GS, and they not worthless as they have provided pleasurable Biz & F seats to many people including myself, even in this very ‘competitive’ upgrade environment in which unless you are a GS, don’t count too much on being upgraded out of places like SFO or IAD.
This is where I disagree with you - I have no problem being aced out of RPU’s and GPU’s by GS’s or by 1K’s on higher fares than me, or by people paying premium revenue tickets. That’s openly and widely disclosed. It’s the combo of that *plus* TOD’s sometimes favoring non-elites that makes the certs nearly worthless on nonstop flights out of SFO.

You probably disagree, but I do actually think that I should get priority over TOD’s by non-Premiers when I want to use a cert. I believe that my $35K and 100K+ should buy me that, or at least an open and honest admission from UA as to where we actually sit in the pecking order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.