Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Global First Lounge Renovations (conversion to Polaris lounge 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

Noticed the ORD Global First Lounge will be closed from December 1-15. Any news on the scope of this renovation? Merely cosmetic or will there be some more substantive changes?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Let's hope it includes the shower.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Let's hope it includes the shower.
It has shared showers with the UA Club. Exclusive showers would be a plus however...

Just talked to an agent, said to expect something similar to terminal 2's club in ORD.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
It has shared showers with the UA Club. Exclusive showers would be a plus however...
The UC in ORD has showers? Are the available the same way the EWR or IAH ones are?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:53 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
Noticed the ORD Global First Lounge will be closed from December 1-15. Any news on the scope of this renovation? Merely cosmetic or will there be some more substantive changes?
CLOSED?

We have a 5-hour layover at ORD next week, flying GF. So, I'm relegated to using the dumpy RCC with their gerbil feeders and rotgut swill instead of those nice shrimp cocktails, decent (not great) food and potable drinks?

Not happy...NOT happy. I get to go to the GF lounge maybe once every 2 years or so--I know it doesn't compare to other airlines' F lounge, but it certainly is leaps and bounds better than the crowded, noisy UC with the absolute crap food and drinks.

Too late now, but I might have booked C versus F on the ticket had I known this...Of course all seats are gone now.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
CLOSED?

We have a 5-hour layover at ORD next week, flying GF. So, I'm relegated to using the dumpy RCC with their gerbil feeders and rotgut swill instead of those nice shrimp cocktails, decent (not great) food and potable drinks?

Not happy...NOT happy. I get to go to the GF lounge maybe once every 2 years or so--I know it doesn't compare to other airlines' F lounge, but it certainly is leaps and bounds better than the crowded, noisy UC with the absolute crap food and drinks.

Too late now, but I might have booked C versus F on the ticket had I known this...Of course all seats are gone now.
There will be two dedicated GS/GF agents at the club to assist you.

You will be given chits for complimentary premium beverages from the club.

You will be given a $25 voucher to purchase food from vendors at ORD. (Unfortunately, you will not be able to bring said food into the club.)

They say that this will last two weeks - I'll take the over on that big time.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
You will be given a $25 voucher to purchase food from vendors at ORD. (Unfortunately, you will not be able to bring said food into the club.)
That's a pretty good deal if I may say so myself. That $25 will be awesome at Tortas Frontera
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Madone59
The UC in ORD has showers? Are the available the same way the EWR or IAH ones are?
Yes, the ORD and GRU GlobalFirst showers became accessible to United Club users earlier this year, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...6-gru-all.html .

In ORD the showers are gated by a valet and are something of a rare commodity (we have been waiting about 30 min now and are told it will be another 20 minutes… we waited only about 15 min after arriving GRU-ORD just after 5:30 a.m.). Lounge is packed because of all the upcoming tatl flights.

The ORD showers are really nice! A nicer cubicle space than at IAH, EWR, or even LH at IAD. About as good as the LHR arrivals showers. There's a nice heated towel rack which actually works (unlike the one in our flat at home), there are Andes mints, and there are okay amenities (apparently there used to be really good GlobalFirst kits).

The agent who works the showers in the morning, B--- (name anonymized), is awesome. A great character and a stand-up guy.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
LOL, classic UACO execution.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Yes, the ORD and GRU GlobalFirst showers became accessible to United Club users earlier this year, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...6-gru-all.html .

In ORD the showers are gated by a valet and are something of a rare commodity (we have been waiting about 30 min now and are told it will be another 20 minutes… we waited only about 15 min after arriving GRU-ORD just after 5:30 a.m.). Lounge is packed because of all the upcoming tatl flights.

The ORD showers are really nice! A nicer cubicle space than at IAH, EWR, or even LH at IAD. About as good as the LHR arrivals showers. There's a nice heated towel rack which actually works (unlike the one in our flat at home), there are Andes mints, and there are okay amenities (apparently there used to be really good GlobalFirst kits).

The agent who works the showers in the morning, B--- (name anonymized), is awesome. A great character and a stand-up guy.
He's an outstanding agent. ^
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by mherdeg

Because the ORD showers were part of sUA's arrival lounge (It was called Arrivals by United, and it only exist on ORD and SFO in the US right outside immigration landside).

When it was part of Arrivals by United, it had a very strict admittance policy, only paid F, upgrade F, award F, paid C, and award C, no upgrade C can get access at all, not to mention it MUST be arriving on UA metal. Unlike sCO's IAH, EWR lounge everyone can use it.

There was no GlobalFirst kits in the shower, it was just a shower kit, sUA had been providing complete shower kits for years in all RCC that has showers, it was most famous for people who use NRT RCC always go there and grab the kit and leave (because NH has none)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:36 pm

Considering there is only one GF Lounge in ORD, I'm not sure how it is expected for them to renovate the lounge and keep it fully operational at the same time. (Assuming these are significant renovations)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by nova08
Considering there is only one GF Lounge in ORD, I'm not sure how it is expected for them to renovate the lounge and keep it fully operational at the same time. (Assuming these are significant renovations)
Umm, cordon off an area of one of the UCs, and operate it as a GF? Use the GF staff to guard entry to the GF area?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Just landed from Beijing and I've somehow managed to suffer thru with a glass of Veuve Cliquot and some Terazas Malbac in the C United Club. Showers were empty and the attendant is a great guy. Now, if only the snow would stop...
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the GF lounge was in a very bad need of renovations! Glad they are doing something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.