Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Seat Blocking FAQ (for those with disabilities, ...) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What are blocked seats?

In simple terms, a blocked seat is any seat on a flight's seatmap that appears to be occupied, but to which no passenger has been assigned. In most cases, the seat will be marked as "blocked" rather than "occupied" in the United's backend, but you won't be able to see that on the official seatmaps. A subscription to a service like ExpertFlyer or KVS Tool will permit you to see which seats are blocked and which are occupied.

Why are seats blocked?

Seats are generally blocked to make them available for passengers with certain needs. For example, pairs of seats adjacent to the aisle, with movable aisle armrests, are blocked for disabled passengers.

Sometimes, United blocks seats to deal with seatmap changes during aircraft reconfigurations. This is currently happening with the CRJ-700's.

Can I choose blocked seats?

If you have a valid reason, contact UA's Accessibility Desk at (800) 228-2744.

For others, Yes, at the time of check-in. The seats will continue to appear occupied on the public-facing seatmap, and will not be selectable if you choose "change seats" on your reservation, but can be chosen at the "change seats" screen while checking in.

Does seat blocking prevent UA from selling seats?

No. On a plane with 200 seats, United might sell 220 "seats." The availability of specific seats on the seatmap has nothing to do with whether United sells additional seats. Passengers without seat assignments will be assigned seats at the gate -- or, in the event of an oversell, they will be denied boarding (as a VDB or IDB) and compensated.

Are middle seats blocked to give elites extra room?

No, that's a myth. Though pmUA has done this in the past.

Are seats in E- blocked to sell more E+ seats?

Probably not. This seems to be a myth perpetuated by people who don't understand what blocked seats are, or are confused by patterns they've seen in seatmap changes (e.g., the movement of Silvers at check-in, successful E+ buy-up campaigns shortly before the flight, certain seatmap blocking related to aircraft swaps, etc.)

What seats are blocked?

Each mainline narrowbody plane has approximately 2 seats in E+ and 4 seats in E- blocked from the get-go.

Here are some examples:

A319: 7DE, 23DE, 25DE
A320: 7DE, 23DE, 25DE
738: 7DE, 23BC, 25BC
752 (Intl.): 8DE, 23BC, 25BC
E75, E70, CR7: 7CD

Other reasons for block seats are
-- for oversold situations
(usually will not show as blocked seats)
Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

or crew rest seats (instead of being blocked, these may show as "missing")
Guide to Crew Rest Seats
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dbaker
The Continental 777s have crew rest upstairs. I'm not aware of any other planes in the United fleet with crew rest that isn't in the normal cabin.
The 747-400.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by rlucido
According to expertflyer there are seats in1st cl for IAH-Fra on 10/4 but showing as "blocked".
OK - I just check UA46 the IAH-FRA flight on 10/4 and it is PMCO metal, therefore there is BusinessFirst on this aircraft (which is J) but no Global First (which is F) on this aircraft. So your nomanclature was a little off, and my previous reply does not apply as it referred to PMUA GF metal and crew work rules.

Currently the fare class buckets are at J1 R0. This means there is one business class seat available for sale, and none available for upgrades.

Basically if the open business class seat does not sell it will be released for upgrades before wheels up, along with the two blocked seats if they are not going to be otherwise occupied. It looks like it will come down to you position in the upgrade queue.

SunLover
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SunLover
OK - I just check UA46 the IAH-FRA flight on 10/4 and it is PMCO metal, therefore there is BusinessFirst on this aircraft (which is J) but no Global First (which is F) on this aircraft. So your nomanclature was a little off, and my previous reply does not apply as it referred to PMUA GF metal and crew work rules.

Currently the fare class buckets are at J1 R0. This means there is one business class seat available for sale, and none available for upgrades.

Basically if the open business class seat does not sell it will be released for upgrades before wheels up, along with the two blocked seats if they are not going to be otherwise occupied. It looks like it will come down to you position in the upgrade queue.

SunLover
A note: The fact that there are two blocked seats on the seatmap doesn't mean that they're not selling these seats. I don't know about this specific flight, but it could be that they can anticipate not needing the crew rest seats, so they sell the seats but don't allow them to be assigned. That is to say: there might not be two "seats" to be released to upgrades even if the crew rest is not needed.

EDIT: Reading again, maybe that's what you meant by "if they are not going to be otherwise occupied."
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I've had GAs block seats on a non-full flight for my lap-infant and they show up as empty spaces on the iPhone app (as if the seat didn't exist). On the website they just appear occupied.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I'm posting the above guide to blocked seats, since there are often questions about them. I trust that people will find aspects of it that they want to edit.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
787 blocked seats

I believe that seats 17D and 17E are always blocked. I remember reading somewhere that these seats have an armrest that raises even though the seats are bulkhead seats.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
On the 757-200's to/from Europe, 21D, 21E and 21F always seem to be unavailable. I don't have EF so maybe somebody else can verify?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:43 am

cool info.

also just stumbled onto diditclear. sounds cool too
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
Are long-haul crew rest seats "blocked", or taken out of inventory in a different way?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by philhayes
On the 757-200's to/from Europe, 21D, 21E and 21F always seem to be unavailable. I don't have EF so maybe somebody else can verify?
Crew rest area
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Awesome. Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Blocked seats on 757-300

For anyone interested, I believe that the standard blocked seats on the domestic 753 is 8DEF in E+ and 23BC and 25BC in E-
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
6B on 772 often seems to be blocked too. Is that a crew rest seat? 6A is usually open for selection.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:07 am

Rows 17, 18, 20 on a 767 always blocked for disabled???

I had to rebook my IAD-ZRH flight today because of the winter storm. I called the 1K line to go through a few possibilities. I was looking at the seat maps on my laptop while talking with the agent. I told her that I wanted an E+ aisle seat only. For one itinerary, I noticed that aisle seats were available for rows 17, 18, & 20. She told me that I couldn't book any of those because they were "blocked in case they are needed for any handicapped passengers.".

Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I did the HUACA shuffle and got my aisle seat. the new agent said she didn't know why I was told the above.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
Assume you're talking about the 2-class 767-300

16AB and 17AB are blocked for crew rest. 16DEF are often blocked because they're the bassinet seat I think. 17DEF and 16KL and 17KL should not be blocked nor should anything in 20.

Note that this is just for TATL flights. If the 767-300 flies domestic (and perhaps on IAH-LIM) there is no crew rest requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.