Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GS means nothing to this airline

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

GS means nothing to this airline

Lost my luggage for 2 days. Delivered broken. GS member for past 4 years. Over $100k in UA spend ytd. UA flat out refuses to answer my questions regarding compensation for damaged bag other than $100 offer. I give up. They will not answer repeated emails at this point. When calling GS line they transfer me to PHL baggage. Nobody even remotely cares. Called AA today as I had to clarify a question about a new booking. Agent could have not have been nicer. I am platinum with AA, not even close to GS level with UA. Agent started to talk about how great their merger will be. Guess who is getting my next years $100k of full fare?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Don't They Know Who You Are?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You get a blanket as a GS.

Grass is always greener... until it isnt.

and also,

DYKWIA?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA G
I have found that the merged UA's baggage service desk is atrocious. At smaller stations, the agents there were previously allowed to write MCOs to cover immediate needs (you know, like clothes), but were were prohibited from doing so sometime last year. I had to call in and beg my case for a piddly TCVA. Not cool.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You get a blanket as a GS.

Grass is always greener... until it isnt.

and also,

DYKWIA?
Yes. Not a 1k who scrapes to make 100k miles and begs fir upgrades. That's who.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Djohnson18958
Lost my luggage for 2 days. Delivered broken. GS member for past 4 years. Over $100k in UA spend ytd. UA flat out refuses to answer my questions regarding compensation for damaged bag other than $100 offer. I give up. They will not answer repeated emails at this point. When calling GS line they transfer me to PHL baggage. Nobody even remotely cares. Called AA today as I had to clarify a question about a new booking. Agent could have not have been nicer. I am platinum with AA, not even close to GS level with UA. Agent started to talk about how great their merger will be. Guess who is getting my next years $100k of full fare?
"how great their merger will be?" I hope you took that as a joke!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
And this is how they treat you!!!!

oh the humanity!!!!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Don't They Know Who You Are?
they obviously don't know who he is! hes a star:-:
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Ah. Fresh as a summer's eve.

It sounds as though other airlines will be getting your business in the future.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Then go fly with AA and stop your whining with UA. If you spend that much on UA in a given year you understand business so move your business elsewhere...
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I sincerely regret that you experienced this. As a 1K who only travels about 120,000 paid miles per year, my opinion is that you deserve better. Your business helps the rest of us to have highly valued services that might not be otherwise available without your high value flying. Thank you.

Likewise, I expect a higher level of attention than GMs or Silvers might receive. It doesn't seem to be happening anymore. This is particularly true when talking about baggage issues. This is one of UA's biggest flaws. Keep fighting (if you want to), and IME you will eventually be more than fairly compensated. It does take time, however.

Your comment about AA's rep telling you how much better it is going to be after the merger reminds me of the same comment I heard from a face to face UA agent in Houston just prior to the merger. I know she believed it. We all know now how that worked out.

I hate to say it, but you are probably better off staying put until the dust settles over at AA. Parker isn't likely to show you any love, either. At least you do have some measurable perks where you are. The days of customer appreciation in the airline business are either over or on a long-time hold. The lack of competition insures it. Best to keep your history in one place until you really know what you are getting into. AA treated me like garbage for 25 years when I was hub captive at DFW. I don't have high hopes that things will change once they exit BK with Parker in control.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
If you have a damaged bag you should make a claim (here is the form), I am not sure what you expect the GS reservations agents to do for you. Like every other airline, UA has a process for resolving baggage claims and, IME, it doesn't involve using the phone. Does AA allow their reservations agents to settle damaged bag claims? My guess is they have a similar claims process to UA.

Being GS provides a certain set of services and priority for certain services. I am not sure why you'd expect them to deviate from their baggage or other policies. I assure you that AA CC program is not GS.

Last edited by kenn0223; Nov 24, 2013 at 8:46 pm
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

AA values loyalty and has great customer service. Agree
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Indeed United seems to have no comprehension of the value of a loyal customer, especially one who contributes that kind of revenue.

And just as curious is why the UA representatives who gleefully post United ads freely refuse to answer to posts like this, and explain why in fact United seems to no longer value loyalty. Perhaps this incident is an oversight, and someone can explain why someone who has lots of money to spend on an airline should choose United over any other. And I don't mean the fanbois who's response is "we're just as bad as everyone else". That is NOT a corporate policy.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
[Conforming moderator edit to quote since deleted.]

I don't know how anyone can be a fan of UA in its current state of customer (dis)service.

Just in case my post supporting staying put until the dust settles was interpreted as an endorsement, it most certainly isn't. I am a hostile customer who is loyal because it serves me better than any other options I have at this point. The instant I see a truly better and reliable option... Chao, UA!!!!!

Unfortunately, I don't see that in the cards for the foreseeable future. Gosh I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.