Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cell phones in flight? How do UA fliers feel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: For frequent travelers on UA, what's your position on allowing cell calls in-flight?
Yes, allow them. I and other passengers need to stay in touch.
5.94%
No, don't allow them. It'll degrade the customer experience.
90.74%
Unsure or undecided if this will be a good or poor idea.
3.33%
Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AADULtArer

National news this morning - FAA FCC considering cell phone relays on board and allowing cell phone use above 10k feet.

Put me down as one UA flyer strongly opposed. Ive sent a note into UA stating same

CNN news feed link here, before Im accused of being a UA shill/troll

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/21/travel...hones-flights/

Last edited by Xyzzy; Nov 27, 2013 at 11:39 am Reason: added CNN link, added note about informing UA, masahatman corrected me to FCC vs FAA, thx
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: UA-1K, United Club Member, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska-MVP
NO!

Worst.Idea.Ever.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
What--you don't like brawls at 35000 ft???

This would be a real problem, in my view. Those folks who yap at the top of their lungs before takeoff drive me NUTS!!!

Hope I've made myself clear.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Like most people, I am terrified by the prospect of the person next to me having a long phone conversation throughout the flight.

That said, people are talking on their phones dramatically less than even a few years ago. Its mostly data and texts that people are using. WiFi on plane is good if you can text over WiFi (iMessage) but I wholeheartedly support the idea that cellular networks could be extended to the plane so it is possible to reach and engage with people in flight.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by brando09
Worst.Idea.Ever.
+1
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by Bonehead
What--you don't like brawls at 35000 ft???

This would be a real problem, in my view. Those folks who yap at the top of their lungs before takeoff drive me NUTS!!!

Hope I've made myself clear.
people will just need to talk in a little quieter on their cell phones... does it bother you when two passengers next to you have a conversation?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No no no a thousand times no!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
people will just need to talk in a little quieter on their cell phones... does it bother you when two passengers next to you have a conversation?
On a night flight, yes.

Perhaps this is a revenue opp - for a fixed price we can bid to have the cell phone relay turned OFF on our flight!!

Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
No. No. No. No. No.

People cannot resist being rude / inappropriate on cell phones when they are on the ground. I cannot imagine the horror of being in a confined space without the ability to escape.

However, it would obviously be the genesis of multiple exceedingly hilarious FlyerTalk threads, so there is that.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:08 am

It is coming, at least from the FCC perspective. That's pretty much a sure thing and per their charter they should approve it.

What happens after that with the airlines and actual implementations is a different story. I'm betting we see one airline in the USA experiment with it within 18 months of the FCC rules change.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
No no no a thousand times no!
+1
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Don't have a problem with it. I don't understand why lots of folks seem to hate others talking on a cell phone. I think when cells became widespread, people spoke more loudly than normal. But that's not the case so much any more (unless the ambient noise is loud). It is no different than the couple beside you carrying on a conversation and just as entertaining. In fact, it might be more entertaining, because you can imagine the other side.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
this is the last place to unplug, I enjoy my time unplugged from the world
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Ive got it!!

25 USD TOD upgrade to cell phone use area

Rows 36 and higher!!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by brando09
Worst.Idea.Ever.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.