Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're connection is on TG, they will sell you an upgrade for $400. It's well worth it for J on the 380.
Thanks to UA cancelling my NRT-BKK Upper Deck courtesy of GPU found out that was the price in late March (just before UA stopped flying this route).

Declined, as did a handful of others from same original flight. OTOH, found out how nice a 747 can be in coach

Originally Posted by sim510
Just hoping to make a SDC before my return, via TG or else HKG-ORD. Fingers crossed... (my UA flights are paid int'l first..no GPU upgrade)
Sorry to dash your hopes, but pretty darn sure you can't do SDC to a non UA carrier

Edit to add:

Apparently someone beat me to it:

Originally Posted by wxguy
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
my UA flights are paid int'l first..no GPU upgrade
Why in the world would you not fly SQ (if you feel married to Star Alliance) or CX?

Paid F on UA in this day and age? Better you than me.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by Mbenz
Which route? NRT-BKK on ANA?
Sorry to be unclear. I thought this whole thead is about the absorbtion of UA customers to NH. So again, is NH doing paid upgrades on that route at all?

F.R.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
I thought this whole thead is about the absorbtion of UA customers to NH.
The thread is about UA killing NRT-BKK.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
UA has already missed out on about $4.5k in my business for 2015 due to dropping this route.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Appreciate the reminder about SDC only on UA and UAX. I am not someone who changes my itinerary after booking.

Re my paid first, I was searching for business class fares, but the price for first was showing up at only slightly more. I chose the least expensive option. TG from NRT to BKK was significantly more expensive than ANA in C.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:53 pm

Hi Guys,

I am 1K status and will be flying from MCO-BKK, and have successfully used my GPU to upgrade, but still need to fly economy from NRT-BKK. The website says I am allowed 2 baggage but if the rules below is true, does that mean I can bring up to 3 baggage as long as I check in with United and not ANA?

If true then does this mean that from MCO-BKK I am allow 3 bags and while from BKK-MCO I am only allowed 2 bags?

"DOT order that the allowance
of the first check-in carrier governs the entire ticketed itinerary will be
applicable. Accordingly, the baggage policy of United Airlines will be applied
to your entire journey including the ANA flight"

Thank you very much!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Yes you have it correct 3 bags to BKK, and 2 coming back.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Even worse - it's 3@70lbs going and 2@50lbs returning.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Appreciate the reminder about SDC only on UA and UAX. I am not someone who changes my itinerary after booking.

Re my paid first, I was searching for business class fares, but the price for first was showing up at only slightly more. I chose the least expensive option. TG from NRT to BKK was significantly more expensive than ANA in C.
I noticed the same a few months ago, fantastic feels on UA F it seemed xxx-ORD-NRT-BKK. Was cheaper than other airlines C fares.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
TG availability BKK-NRT

I just noticed TG opened up a bunch of award availability in F for the BKK-NRT route in September 2014. These flights show up on the UA website as both the 747 red-eye and the early morning 380.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by cyborg
I just noticed TG opened up a bunch of award availability in F for the BKK-NRT route in September 2014. These flights show up on the UA website as both the 747 red-eye and the early morning 380.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
OOOOHHHHH! That's an idea I hadn't thought of. Fly RT to NRT/SIN/HKG on UA and then use miles to get to BKK. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
When my GPU from NRT-IAH cleared, my BKK-NRT segment changed from 1@50lbs (+1 for *G) to 2@70lbs (+1 for *G).

It's printed on my e-ticket, too.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TomA
OOOOHHHHH! That's an idea I hadn't thought of. Fly RT to NRT/SIN/HKG on UA and then use miles to get to BKK. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier.
I used to do this when prices exSIN were cheaper than exBKK (and they were quite often). However with the current cost of intra-Asia awards using UA kyat the value of this move seems debatable at best.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by TomA
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I used to do this when prices exSIN were cheaper than exBKK (and they were quite often). However with the current cost of intra-Asia awards using UA kyat the value of this move seems debatable at best.
Agreed. Plus there is the normal angst of having 2 separate tickets with United's tendency to delay and cancel flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.