Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jasondc
<snip>
The ethnic traffic will always go for the foreign flag, well Delta will get cheap flow traffic that flies over Seattle as well as whatever corporate traffic they can bribe into their planes with cheap fares. Enjoy.
Bolding is mine.

Your choice of words in this context is interesting. Are you accusing DL of doing something that UA itself has never done?

Or is it a practice at both UA and DL, only that you chose to highlight the DL part?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:50 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've almost always received consistently good service on PMCO flights to NRT - if there was a lapse with a particular FA, the service director was always making sure everything went right...my only PMUA experiences were upper deck 747s to NRT and ICN where the service was spotty and definitely not warm and welcoming.

I had one PMUA 777 GF flight NRT TPE with an amazing flight crew, and one PMUA 747 GF flight NRT ORD where a couple FAs were great, but my (American) FA didn't really appear to give a crap, gave the minimum service and attention possible and only made me wonder how/why anyone would pay full price (I was rebooked from Air Canada).

When I fly NH (in coach or business) or OZ, the flight attendants are almost falling over themselves to be helpful, attentive and efficient. Sorry, this isn't cultural - it's training and enforcement of standards through discipline and rewards (which the unions probably make difficult to do here in the US).
I thinks we're mostly in agreement here, though while I did no longhaul flying on CO in C (quite a bit in Y), my experience is that CO service was definitely better than sCO

Premerger best service with US based airlines: Alaska, CO, Southwest. US worst of those that I flew; never experienced jetBlue, Virgin or MidWest.

And going even further back, NW always treated me very well, especially when my u/g cleared.

But may have to rethink stratege to SE Asia, as I believe EVA PE may be the way to go if I cannot use GPUs and/or Ca$h and miles to move to Biz @:-)
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:57 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Just curious, if BKK fares are so low, why for all the dates I'm trying, W fares to BKK are about $500 more than W to HKG on UA metal? I've personally never paid so much for BKK airfare as in the past 2-3 years. Paid C on a better carrier, like Emirates, is barely double that W fare on UA and the upgrade roulette.

I'm likely to actually book UA to HKG, visit a friend in HKG, and take TG or someone onward to BKK this time around--it will be cheaper.

Last edited by exerda; Dec 26, 2013 at 9:15 am
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by EmailKid
While I tend to support unions with regard to having a decent wage and good working condition, IME with the US airline industry, it leads to really bad service on routes that senior FAs can bid on
The non-union airlines also use the seniority system.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
I'm likely to actually book UA to HKG, visit a friend in HKG, and take TG or someone onward to BKK this time around--it will be cheaper.
That's how I'm doing my next trip. CX HKG-BKK is about $600 in J. No need to play GPU roulette for the NRT-BKK leg on UA. Also gives me the chance to check out OneWorld.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
Maybe we just have to disagree on this. Seems to me though that regardless of the aircraft the only relevant question is whether the better seat comfort of the PMUA makes up for the lack of privacy and aisle access. Other than that I don't see how there is really any substantive issue of preference. Nearly everyone would prefer the PMUA seat to the PMCO seat if they were in the same configuration.
But they're not, and that is a complete deal breaker for me. The PMUA J configuration is so bad that I book away from it (I was shocked at how jammed in those seats are when I first flew it, and I had a window seat!). I have had many very comfortable flights in PMCO J (including sleeping like a baby) on the 777, so I'd be very surprised if "nearly everyone" would prefer the PMUA seat. For the record, I'm 6'3" and broad-shouldered.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Bonehead
But they're not, and that is a complete deal breaker for me. The PMUA J configuration is so bad that I book away from it (I was shocked at how jammed in those seats are when I first flew it, and I had a window seat!). I have had many very comfortable flights in PMCO J (including sleeping like a baby) on the 777, so I'd be very surprised if "nearly everyone" would prefer the PMUA seat. For the record, I'm 6'3" and broad-shouldered.
I think your post illustrates the futility of the PMCO/PMUA C seat debate.

I, too, am 6'3" and broad-shouldered (I wear a 46L jacket, for reference), and I wear size 13 shoes. I much prefer the PMUA seats to the PMCO seats, because I'm unable to extend the seats fully flat. My feet simply won't fit in there, plus I personally find it very narrow in the shoulder area.

I'm not saying you're wrong, nor that I'm right, except that we each have our own personal preferences which are entirely valid.

I think we should have a collective New Year's Resolution to stop debating the PMUA/PMCO C seat issue.

But YMMV...

Greg
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Bonehead
So you're in the 48%. I too am 6'3" with wide shoulders and would always take PMUA over PMCO. So I'm in the 45%. If the only consideration was the seat itself, almost no one (yourself included) would pick PMCO. It's like asking whether you prefer a wider seat with more legroom or narrower seat with less legroom. It might be a good question for a (lack of) intelligence test, but it'
would be of zero interest as a thread topic.

Originally Posted by greg99
I think we should have a collective New Year's Resolution to stop debating the PMUA/PMCO C seat issue.
That was the whole point of the poll... to demonstrate it was a matter of personal preference and put an end to the debates and to the assertions of opinion masquerading as facts.

Last edited by 5khours; Dec 26, 2013 at 8:52 pm
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Global Entry
Convenient connection on NH's NRT-CGK begins March 30

NH changed the schedule of the NRT-CGK (Jakarta, Indonesia) market effective March 30, 2013 so that it makes a timely connection with UA's bank of arrivals in NRT. Currently NH departs NRT at 10:00 am which is well before the bank of UA flights arrive into NRT. After the schedule change, it will depart NRT at 17:40 going to CGK non-stop. Similar change the other way; NH will now depart in the morning arriving into NRT a couple of hours before the bank of UA flights depart for USA. Previously the CGK-NRT were departing late evening from CGK arriving about ten hours before the UA bank of flights depart for USA.

It's a very convenient change. I used to have to fly NRT-SIN and overnight at Changi until the next morning before the first available flights to CGK from SIN. The schedule changes cuts the USA-NRT-CGK total travel time by 8 hours.

The only negative consequence is that NH is switching from the 787 to the 767 for the new schedule. I once flew NH's 767 and the seats are horrible.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Not really gonna miss the 6:00am departure at BKK, which was most unpleasant. However it is going to make same-day returns a bit more challenging. I guess SQ and CX will be raking in premium customers.

Originally Posted by 787fan
if anything, UA should consider cancelling NRT-BKK (handing that traffic to NH), but launch SFO-BKK with 787
+1 There is no reason anyone on the West Coast should have to stop en route to BKK.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Delta flies 747s into NRT, SIN, MNL and BKK with direct aisle access in C. For me, that is a heck of a lot better than what UA is offering,

The cheap flow traffic? Yeah, sure. Care to explain in that case why DL's PRASM is so much high than UA's?

Perhaps, but the route structure is making more money for DL than UA's is for UA. And DL's structure works for me. United? Not so much any more.

I don't consider a 737 from GUM to HKG a viable business model on which I want to fly.
The main problem with DL is not the international premium product (which has finally caught up and surpassed UA once lie-flat horizontal was rolled out) but worthless Skypesos. I have little difficult finding domestic saver awards and can often find international C. On DL - forgedaboutit.

UA product is admittedly subpar but tolerable - the bigger issue, as you note, is the poor profitability due to SMI/J mismangement.

Originally Posted by 787dreamer
The only negative consequence is that NH is switching from the 787 to the 767 for the new schedule. I once flew NH's 767 and the seats are horrible.
A huge minus. TG's midhaul business class seats from PER-BKK were similarly awful and I would not choose that route again when SQ is an option.

Originally Posted by 5khours
LH or EK may be better solutions for east coast travelers.
IMO EK is awful - they lie about horizontal lie flat and good luck with irregular ops (not that UA is a shining star but they take decent care of 1Ks). LH will be a solid option once the horizontal lie-flat in C is completely rolled out by 2015.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
LAX-TPE-BKK - 20.2 hours duration with a much easier 90 minute connection at TPE - the key difference is your connecting flight is 3.5 hours instead of 8 hours and you can leave LAX in the late evening instead of morning and arrive in BKK in the morning instead of at night.
Is this a UA connection or just EVA? Not interested really interest in E+

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
United's "cure" is to focus on the HVF (high value flyer) but they just don't get that the US isn't a class-based society like India and that sometimes some of your HVFs are going to end up in Y and if you make Y a really negative experience, things fall apart.
Actually I think it is the opposite. The UA experience is deteriorating for the HVF and UA will soon lose its edge when LH and AA complete installation of lie-flat horizontal seats. Now many of us HVF don't end up in Y international, but we often do for domestic flights. And that's where UA is really lacking - my friends on DL and AA are routinely upgraded (free). On UA it's now a rarity from a hub. If I was a domestic flyer I'd abandon UA in a New York minute.

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Look, the HVF are gone. Right now they have hub captives who won't get off their butts and switch because of their own myriad of rationalizations, whatever government and business contracts they can mangle to their benefit, and Kettles which they can lure in with deep discount fares and then soak with fees. They seem to be running plays straight out of the Baldanza playbook, but on a global level. The problem is, I don't think you can do this on a global level.
It isn't rationalization - some of us are stuck due to corp contracts and hub flights. I am not going to take a connection when I can fly nonstop nor can I justify spending $2-3K more to fly BA TATL (or even $5-7K to fly SQ TPAC). Not to mention that I prefer the longer flights - the last thing I want is a crappy F seat to connect on East Coast, which in turn will leave me insufficient time to sleep on the TATL leg (and extend an already lengthy journey).

However I may start considering other alternatives - like TK and QF from LAX - though the UA operation at LAX makes SFO look like paradise (even more reason to depart via the new international terminal). And I will definitely switch to LH for TATL once the retrofit is complete. At some point you have to consider whether it makes sense to make a run at LH Senator status, as UA elite program continues to deteriorate and UA reliability goes to hell.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 26, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The main problem with DL is not the international premium product (which has finally caught up and surpassed UA once lie-flat horizontal was rolled out) but worthless Skypesos. I have little difficult finding domestic saver awards and can often find international C. On DL - forgedaboutit.
I had ~175,000 DL miles I had been sitting on for years. When they announced the devaluation, I booked BKK-xNRT-oJFK; JFK-xNRT-oMNL in Saver C with no problem on the dates I wanted.

I keep hearing this about DL miles, but my experience was certainly different.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:06 pm

+1 There is no reason anyone on the West Coast should have to stop en route to BKK.
Except that it is really far, there aren't many planes which can make it that far without refueling and the yields in the market are insufficient to make such flights profitable. But surely no other reasons, right??

A huge minus. TG's midhaul business class seats from PER-BKK were similarly awful and I would not choose that route again when SQ is an option.
SQ uses regional biz to PER, too. At least they did when I flew it in April. Also, it is a route shorter than a US transcon so arguably doesn't demand full premium service.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I had ~175,000 DL miles I had been sitting on for years. When they announced the devaluation, I booked BKK-xNRT-oJFK; JFK-xNRT-oMNL in Saver C with no problem on the dates I wanted.

I keep hearing this about DL miles, but my experience was certainly different.
I have been sitting on 155k for years, but unfortunately need at least 2 tix, and DL doesn't do one-ways, yet another minus factor.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Except that it is really far, there aren't many planes which can make it that far without refueling and the yields in the market are insufficient to make such flights profitable. But surely no other reasons, right??
One would think there is sufficient premium O/D business but perhaps BKK is not the business center it used to be with the rise of other tigers? I was surprised to see that NRT was not really much off the flight path from BKK to SFO (per great circle mapper) and UA certainly has a nice bank of connections at NRT to feed both directions. Which begs the question - why couldn't they make this work? (Answer: see preceding posts )
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is this a UA connection or just EVA? Not interested really interest in E+

All EVA
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
unfortunately the DL platform for booking flights with miles lags way behind that of AA and UA. However, if you know how to be creative with the skymiles booking process, you can find low to mid tier seats in J.

However, all things aside, once you've flown on the UD of a DL 747, there is nothing else that comes close. You simply can't go back to anything else, at least something thats not direct aisle access. I had a chance to redeem 120,000 miles for a BE award seat on Virgin Australia, LAX to BNE, using my skymiles but threw it back due to VA not having direct aisle access seating in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.