Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any pattern in UA opening "last minute" China coach award seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm a 1K traveling on a UA coach award ticket from Beijing to NYC in a few weeks. I'm currently booked on the Air China flight to JFK but, for time-of-day/airport reasons, I'd prefer the UA flight to EWR. As a 1K, I can change my reservation without any fees if, of course, the UA flight becomes available.

Looking at the seating chart for the UA flight I want, it looks wide open. But I'm wondering if that's an accurate indication of demand. Like I know the Chinese tend to book air travel much closer to departure time than do Americans, and I also wonder if everyone with a reservation has a seat assignment. Is there a free service that could give me more accurate load information?

If the flight isn't busy, is there any predictability as to when UA would make more "last minute" award seats available?

Finally, has anyone ever flown this route on Air China in coach? I presume the overall service has to be better than on UA (how could it not be?). Of course, as a 1K, I would benefit from Economy Plus on UA, where the extra legroom would be valuable on such a long coach flight.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
What is the farecode availability showing in expert mode?

I've found with some China flights that a bunch of tickets have been booked (tour groups, consolidators) but without seats assigned.

I don't think the late-booking Chinese approach translates for international flights - domestic flights in China have a different fare structure so it's easier to book late. But UA doesn't use that structure.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
What is the farecode availability showing in expert mode?

I've found with some China flights that a bunch of tickets have been booked (tour groups, consolidators) but without seats assigned.

I don't think the late-booking Chinese approach translates for international flights - domestic flights in China have a different fare structure so it's easier to book late. But UA doesn't use that structure.
Well, it doesn't mean much to me, but this is the farecode availability:

Available Cabins: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P5, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
What that tells me is that almost all the coach seats have been sold. All that's left are Y, B, and M fare classes, which are the most expensive. So it is extremely unlikely a coach saver seat will open up, although of course a regular coach seat is available for award travel.

The good news is that it appears there's a lot of room in the business class cabin, indicated by J, C, D, and Z - with Z9 it means they're trying to sell discounted business seats. This is often a good sign that saver business class seats may become available as it gets closer to flight time. You might hold out for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.