Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Where is this aircraft coming from" questions; Times / aircraft don't make sense!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Where is this aircraft coming from" questions; Times / aircraft don't make sense!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: VAG
Dammit! I followed the link here from the heading "Quantum Universe Theory" and was expecting something more interesting.

In answer to your question, the uncertainty principle in its time-energy form holds that:

Delta E * Delta T < hbar/2

Plugging this into Wolfram Alpha, it turns out that a 44 minute uncertainty in time corresponds to a certainty in energy on the order of 2e-38 Joules, which is rather small.

One can only assume that this implies United is really getting serious about saving money on fuel costs. (Or, y'know, they screwed up again.)

(IAAQP)
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Originally Posted by halls120
Honestly, I don't know why UA even offers the feature. I really don't care where my aircraft is coming from, I just want to see it at the gate at the appointed boarding time. By offering the feature, UA simply provides more visibility into their own operational incompetence, and I'm frankly surprised it is still offered.
I'm glad they offer it. Recently on a delayed flight from ATL - DEN I could see that my next flight was also delayed. I didn't have to make hotel arrangements In either ATL or DEN. Also, seeing if the plane is in the air also is helpful. Given winter flying and RJs, this seems to happen a lot.

Certainly planes could be swapped but it usually doesn't happen where I fly. I find the app very accurate.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jorgen
In answer to your question, the uncertainty principle in its time-energy form holds that:

Delta E * Delta T < hbar/2
That equation works for Delta, but what about United?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
How can a plane be both 22 minutes late and 22 minutes early?
The original can be delayed and replaced with an aircraft that was earlier than expected.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Inbound on time but arriving after Scheduled flight

I am on 1517/6Apr 910p dep IAH SFO
the inbound is on time 1231/6apr LAX IAH but arriving after the
actual scheduled time of 1517's departure 940p
Trying to figure out if this is a UA screwup that a
scheduled arrival is after the same planes scheduled departure?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
your IAH - SFO flight is being shown as delayed

new dep time is 2215
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boycruz
Trying to figure out if this is a UA screwup that a
scheduled arrival is after the same planes scheduled departure?
The delay just posted (65 mins). UA is often slow to acknowledge these. In these situations, it's often a creeping delay, too. My guess is you're looking at 2 hours.

As far as "how did this happen" it was probably an aircraft swap, since the inbound aircraft is actually showing arrival 2 minutes early.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The delay just posted (65 mins). UA is often slow to acknowledge these. In these situations, it's often a creeping delay, too. My guess is you're looking at 2 hours.

As far as "how did this happen" it was probably an aircraft swap, since the inbound aircraft was actually 2 minutes early.
dont understand (except for aircraft swap) they are calling this inbound delay due to late arriving aircraft when technically its "waiting for another plane from another city" delay

Last edited by boycruz; Apr 6, 2015 at 7:52 pm Reason: none
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boycruz
dont understand (except for aircraft swap) they are calling this inbound delay due to late arriving aircraft when technically its "waiting for another plane from another city" delay
It's not uncommon for the website to provide misinformation of this sort. United Quoting Wrong Reason for Delay.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:23 pm

thanks found wht should have been my plane

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...130Z/KLAX/KIAH
Old May 4, 2015, 11:42 am

Where is this plane coming from?

Just curious. UA 1433 shows on time departure from IAH at 7:04pm. It also says it's coming in as UA 1495 with on time arrival at IAH at 7:37pm.

How exactly does that work?
Old May 4, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Either they'll swap or 1433 will take a delay. They may not have decided yet for a flight 6+ hours in the future.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Where is this plane coming from?

This info can change constantly. Sometimes, I think this is too much information for a lot of folks.

Operations constantly makes changes with which specific aircraft run which specific flights to optimize across the network. What likely happened thus far is that the plane originally scheduled to turn for your flight had something happen - severely delayed, went MX, etc, and they subbed the best alternative they have at this moment. As already mentioned - they will either do another swap as they can find something, or 1433 will be delayed.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a fun, but relatively useless feature. The aircraft which makes up your flight could be:

1. Delayed and therefore your flight will be delayed;
2. Another aircraft may be substituted and you will depart ontime or close to;
3. The inbound could make up time.

Your flight has likely been flagged by Ops for a decision and that us likely underway.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Often1
It's a fun, but relatively useless feature.
It's not useless at all -- particularly when leaving from an outstation where no aircraft swaps will ccur. It may not give us all available relevant information but it absolutely provides useful data points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.