Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What did you forget on the plane and did you get it back again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What did you forget on the plane and did you get it back again?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
I left a Surface 2 in one of the BF seats on an OSL-EWR flight. Notified gate agent, notified EWR lost and found, gave them my phone number, email - my name was written on the Surface 2 as well - nothing. Someone plain and simply stole it, even thought it was password protected. Nice people.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Left an iPad in the BizFirst arm rest on the 3-class 777 from NRT-SIN. Didn't realize it until I was downtown at the Marriott (middle of the night). Called UA, filled out the left on board with all the info and popped an ambien. At 8AM, had a call from the UA Singapore folks confirming it was there. Picked it up a couple hours later. I was lucky that plane sat there until 6AM. The staff couldn't have been nicer!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire RA
Ok, I know all of you will get a kick out of this lost item story so here it goes. Last September I am on a trans asia flight and arrive NRT. I am in the lounge relaxing and then I remember, wholly you know what, I left my underwear on that aircraft!!!! Please do not ask me any questions because this post is all you will get from me.

Of course, normally I would have let it go, but I could not and here is why. So I have to approach the CS agent in the lounge (not UA lounge) and ask her if the airline has lost and found and she says yes. She ask me if I lost something and I say yes and proceed to tell her what I lost and the description of the item. I almost had to laugh because if you know how conservative Asian culture is, you will appreciate this. So here is this young japanese girl listening to me and at first she says "what" as her face blushes. So I need to say it again and again and she finally turns and looks away for a moment in disbelief and being shy. Then she finally looks at me and says that it is the first time she has experienced this sort of loss because she usually gets requests for items mentioned in this topic.

As I give her my flight and gate number and a description of the item, she was reluctant to make the call, but I stressed to her how important it was that I need to get this item back because it is a present from my wife. She reluctantly calls and as she is explaining on the telephone, her facial expressions were priceless (I really felt bad, but I was trying to avoid pergatory). I have to say she did try her best and another agent contacted me because the aircraft had departed and they would look for it when the aircraft arrives at its next destination.

Unfortunately, the item was not found and I had the unfortunate task of explaining to the boss. She took it well, but I know I will hear about it for eternity.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I once left a leather folio and pen in the 1A seat pocket of a CRJ 700. I didn't get two steps from the GA podium when I turned around and asked for someone to retrieve it. About 30 minutes later they "only found the folio"
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I have a forgetful spouse:
iPad left on ORD-BDL flight, found and returned to ORD United Club. How they swung that, I don't know to this day.
Expensive earphones left on SFO-EWR flight. Gate agent ran after us to give back.

I have a forgetful sister:
Took off her earrings on SFO-HKG flight NOT returned
Left a cashmere sweater on SFO-JFK flight NOT returned

I haven't left anything of value that I want back.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I once left a book called "I leaned about flying from that" in the pocket on a First Class seat. BTW as a pilot I really love the I leaned about flying from that series, they are entertaining, well written and educational.

When boarding the next flight I was sitting in my seat when the pilot came back to my seat and handed me my the book. Inside was a handwritten note from the pilot on the last flight saying how much he had learned from those books and how much he wanted me to have the book back.

Turns out he had been handed it by the cleaning crew, had asked the gate agent where I was heading and then handed the book to the new captain in the crew briefing room. Amazing service..... Unfortunately I have to add this was on AA not UA....

Have to add my SOP is never, ever to put anything in the seatback. It goes back in the bag if not being used. I am amazed at the things some people jam in there. I once saw a guy next to me put his wallet, watch, glasses, ipad and Passport in the seatback pocket..... Now that's just asking for trouble IMHO.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I left my kindle on the aircraft (ORD-FRA) - classic mistake. By the time I had realized it was too late and I was on my connecting flight. Submitted the report and waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing.

So I was passing back through FRA on the return leg. I went to the Lufthansa Senator lounge and asked about lost property. They contact the United rep at FRA and within an hour I was reunited with my kindle fire.

This kindle fire though has a mind of its own. I left it at my parents house in Dublin over the holidays. I wonder where it will go on vacation next.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I remember flying WAY back in the day from college visits LAX-EWR on a CO 762 in April 2004. I remember getting off the jetway in EWR and remembering that I left an Old Navy hoodie jacket (of all things to forget - had it been 2016 I would have left it there). I was traveling with my Dad and sister as well.

I was probably halfway down the jetway when I ran back to go get it - and literally got scolded by an F/A when I said I forgot it - complained they needed to turn the plan around to GVA and that I shouldn't be there. As she was power tripping, I saw it in the overhead bin and just grabbed it and ran off the plane.

Like I said - I would have left it behind these days but her attitude was totally unnecessary. I was 16, 1-2 years above being an unaccompanied minor.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Completely trivial, but I once forgot my GlobalFirst amenity kit in the side storage area of the seat from EWR to LHR. I was walking through T2 when I finally realized it. Not a huge deal to me, but I give them out to my house guests when they come and visit. They usually get a good kick out of receiving one.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
This didn't happen on a UA flight, but I forgot my Macbook on a JetBlue flight last year. I was flying from BOS to DCA in the bulkhead window seat of an E175. Last flight of the night, and I worked until the very last minute of descent. Put my computer in the bulkhead pocket as FA turned the corner, hoping to avoid detection, and left it there! That's what I get for trying to sneak a few extra minutes of work in instead of stowing my computer in the overhead bin.

Didn't realize until after I left the airport, took a taxi to my hotel in the city, and went to pull out my laptop...that wasn't there! Hurried back to the airport, reported it to JetBlue, they sent someone out to the aircraft that was parked for the night and recovered it -- thank goodness!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:13 am

5 years ago, I left an iPad on a Spanair plane in Barcelona. I realized that only after arriving at the hotel. We made some calls and got the idea that they had found it.
We decided to go to the airport to retrieve it, but although the baggage claim/lost and found area was not busy mid-day, we had to talk to multiple people and wait several hours before they retrieved it from the other side of the airport and brought it to us. It seemed like most of the workers were taking a long siesta. Shortly after that, Spanair went out of business.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Didn't have time to post this at the time, but on an ORD-SFO flight (with wi-fi) as I was deboarding from row 1, I saw the FA give GA an envelope marked with a name and address. The FA told GA that it contained a pax wallet from the prior flight, discovered only after OUR take-off, and the crew had id'd the pax, located his Facebook account, sent him a message that way, and told him his wallet was on its way back to him. (Great way to add some accountability and likelihood that GA would follow through!) So - honest pax on my flight turned in wallet intact, and presumably the GA would send it back on an SFO-ORD flight. I hope it worked!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Left my Bose in-ear QC20s I. The seat back pocket on a CMH-EWR flight in December. There was some confusion as we parked at the gate as I recall that threw me off my normal routine.

Didn't realize it for a week until my next flight.

Submitted the lost & found form online, and it was shipped home from Houston 2 days later.

That was awesome - never expected that!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:39 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Well, I was tired on a late night flight and was sleeping in last row in First. Had son on plane on Row 7 across the aisle. I could not get the upgrade for him, and he just wanted to sleep and not visit anyway. I had some work to do before sleeping. Woke up as plane was landing, and was thinking about getting to baggage claim and then to transportation. Quickly I deplaned, forgetting all about son. I got into the concourse before I remembered, turned around and went back to the plane. Son was coming towards me & joked with me about it. We still joke about that from time to time.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Left a pair of Bose in a BF seat upon arrival at IAD. Was on the people mover and realized it. I went in to the UC and the agent was able to call and get them delivered to the club.

Daughter left her phone in her FC seat arriving into BKK, we got to the terminal, she ran back and luckily the FA had found it and gave it to her.

Funny one, my boss left his jacket on a UA flight into NRT. He remembered once we got into Tokyo. We returned ten days later to connect back home. I suggested he ask the CS desk. He did and they brought his jacket to the UC. Nice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.