Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sure wish new wireless would actually work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sure wish new wireless would actually work

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kenn0223
I think they care more about the number of aircraft with WiFi since they can report that number to the press and shareholders. I think they will worry latter about getting it to actually work.
This is my take as well.

Note that UA refused to give me a refund for failed wifi SFO-HFG, but gave me a travel cert for a slightly larger amount instead. I believe they made money on that transaction.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

I got Service Unavailable on two flights. Worked on one. I've actually had terrible luck with having wifi--- only 3 flights this year with it and twice it didn't work.
Same here. Last flight EWR-PDX, had the services unavailable no matter what the crew did it would not work
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
UA 279 this morning. A320 #4623. the system didn't even turn on. they futzed around with it on the ground for a few minutes and we just left because they didn't want to delay the flight. wifi equipped plane flew dark.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Last three flights with wireless installed, the system couldn't connect to the Internet. The entire flight the connection portal showed "Internet connection not available". It's nice that UA is installing wireless, but it would be better if they could install a service that could actually uplink to the satellite and on to the Internet.
so, you state one time where it didnt work, and that automatically means every wi-fi plane does not have service?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by star_world
I've had this happen on one flight, but had another 10+ where it worked. It's a brand new system (not just for UA, but overall) so I just put it down to that.
Originally Posted by CALMSP
so, you state one time where it didnt work, and that automatically means every wi-fi plane does not have service?
Hmmm. On my last 4 segments with WiFi installed, all 4 did exactly what the OP stated. So don't discount the issue.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is my take as well.

Note that UA refused to give me a refund for failed wifi SFO-HFG, but gave me a travel cert for a slightly larger amount instead. I believe they made money on that transaction.
Strange, I thought a refund would be much easier....are they making that much money from wifi service?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Originally Posted by star_world

If the service isn't working at all you don't even get the option to pay.

Shouldn't be any need to deal with CC company.
Not true. I was charged for a flight on which I was able to get past the payment portal, but never onto the internet. It was the same for everyone else...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
just booked my first DL flight (mileage run) in about 18 months, as part of my new status strategy -- looking forward to $14 for 24 hours of access on my round trip transcon equivalent!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Just remember, you are on a plane, going 550 MPH crossing the country or oceans, and your WiFi doe snot work. It'll come someday, but, still, that 550 MPH in a metal tube is pretty awesome!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kenn0223

IME, you never get to the screen where you can enter your credit card information. More importantly, why is your gut reaction to pursue a chargeback?!? Why not just ask UA for a refund, reports so far are that they are pretty good at issuing them? I suspect, like GoGo, they can look up usage and tell pretty easily if you were able to use the service. But again, why bring out the big guns when 5 minutes to fill out a web form would be just as effective and likely faster?
to you. Mine was a simple question because I've not encountered this situation yet & I didn't know the answer. On FT we're allowed to ask questions if we don't know the answer. @:-) If you read the few posts before I posted, there was no mention of the refund option or a link provided, hence my question. Thanks to star_world, who helpfully provided the answer vs. going big guns at me in a negative response like you did, I now know the answer.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AJCU
Just remember, you are on a plane, going 550 MPH crossing the country or oceans, and your WiFi doe snot work. It'll come someday, but, still, that 550 MPH in a metal tube is pretty awesome!
It's nice that you are able to keep a positive attitude. But:
1. UA is charging us for it. It ought to work.
2. DL, US, AA, and WN do not seem to be having these problems.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by blueman2
Hmmm. On my last 4 segments with WiFi installed, all 4 did exactly what the OP stated. So don't discount the issue.
i've been on about 12 flights over the past 5 weeks, have not had a problem. Just saying. A broad statement like that isn't fully true.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GM
I've been on 6 different UA flights over the last 2 weeks and none of them worked. I don't know why United didn't just go with Gogo and be done. My wifi works 100% on VX & AS.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJCU
Just as it was in the 1960's. Speed of commercial jetliners hasn't changed in 50 years.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:35 pm

Flew on one last weekend that was labelled as having wifi, but it wasn't turned on or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.