Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script to highlight R/RN bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script to highlight R/RN bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jadenus
So the travel coordinator wouldn't even be allowed to use the website because it's not for that user's personal, noncommercial use? What about reprinting itineraries for travel reimbursement? That wouldn't be allowed either? Or, if you want to make sure it's personal, non commercial use, you couldn't copy/paste your itin to your spouse so he/she would have your travel arrangements?
I think a commercial travel coordinator would be expected to use one of the many commercial GDS access products available for their line of business.

Originally Posted by blueman2
I am really interested in the ongoing support and development of this tool. Can we put discussion on legality of screen tools elsewhere? I am afraid support and feature request posts will get lost otherwise.
There's been one so far, a couple hours ago, and it's been entirely ignored.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
There's been one so far, a couple hours ago, and it's been entirely ignored.
Not entirely... I have this personal thing about coding on a Sunday night. Anything that comes in overnight will get triaged tomorrow!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This app is fantastic. Thank you!

As for the comments about it violating the UA website Terms and Condition, it could reasonably be argued that it does technically violate them. However, I doubt UA will have a serious problem with it because it does not violate the spirit and purpose of the Terms and Conditions. UA is trying to prevent things like third-party websites from aggregating and/or selling UA availability data and mileage tix brokers from using the info to their advantage. I really don't think they're trying to prevent individual users from accessing the data for their own personal use in booking their tickets. I think UA will ignore until and unless someone figures out a way to abuse it as described above.

In any case, it's a phenomenal tool. I intend to use it today to find R avail for my next TATL. Good for UA's bottom line too b/c otherwise I'll be booking in T or L for hundreds less and you know they wouldn't be giving out the R if it wasn't sure to be empty C space.

Thanks again to whomever did this for us
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Great job, Darlox!!

BTW, FlyerTalk is dead....the virtual community, created for the benefit of frequent flyers, is dead and gone.

Can't use the script?
What's next? "Sorry, you can't do that mileage run because the fare must be a mistake."

Last edited by Billiken; Nov 3, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Haven't used this yet, but thanks very much for putting this together!

It's of course absurd that, thanks to UA, you even had occasion to do so.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by Billiken
BTW, FlyerTalk is dead....the virtual community, created for the benefit of frequent flyers' is dead and gone.

Can't use the script?
What's next? "Sorry, you can't do that mileage run because the fare must be a mistake."
Agree 100%!! So many contrarians......
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kale73
I think every customer should call United requesting that United send, through the mail, written permission every time that customer wishes to print a boarding pass or itinerary via the website. It would be lovely to rub United's lawyers' noses in the fact that their TOS explicitly prohibits certain activities that the website provides implicit permission for through it's very (albeit limited) functionality.
I think by offering a print button, united is giving you permission.

Anyways, all the TOS are meaningless, its all up to who's lawyer is better paid.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many thanks for your effort and kindness to the fellow FTers in putting this together, Darlox! ^ ^ ^
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

version 0.3 released

Hi all,

Based on the feedback and bug reports received so far, we've released version 0.3 to hopefully smooth out the issues for most users.

Download it HERE or update your script in GreaseMonkey/TamperMonkey/other...

In short, the changes are:
  • Made the fare bucket search configurable. You can now search for R/RN, PN or all three.
  • Fixed the date navigation links in FireFox & GreaseMonkey. (Hopefully didn't break this for other browsers in the process, but it seems to test ok...)
  • Modified the date navigation feature to target the specific segment you're currently viewing. Because of the way the UA site seems to work, if you change a date in your search, you have to start selecting segments all over again from the beginning. But now, the date nav buttons update the appropriate segment.

EXAMPLE: If you're searching a r/t from 1/5/2014 to 1/9/2014. When viewing the outbound segment on 1/5, if you click Next or Previous, it will re-submit your search for 1/6 or 1/4, respectively. When you select a flight and are shown the return segments on 1/9, if you click Next or Previous, it will resubmit your search from your original departure date to either 1/10 or 1/8, respectively! The same principal applies to multiple-destination searches.

Keep the suggestions coming, and we'll do what we can.

Happy Searching!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks for the enhancement
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Very cool tool! Saved me a ton of time to find that R/RN was all gone on the dates I selected.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
How does this DOM manipulation not violate UA's Terms?

[I][B]
Your script is modifying the standard display of information as UA intended it.
What is United going to do? Go after every user that has a popup blocker or adblocker that might be (in an extremely technical sense) modifying content? Furthermore, users are well within their rights to control what data their computers receive, especially with regard to security and privacy issues (ghostery is one example*). And users are also well within their rights to control what data they view, how they view it, and what browser they use. For instance, I could use a text based browser like lynx and then employ various macros to identify R availability without loading any of the other bloat and imagery that makes up a standard United web page. United can claim otherwise in their T&C, but good luck enforcing that anywhere.

* In fact, ghostery does report that the 24/7 Media web tracker is present on united.com, and I am not going to unblock that in order to comply with some set of overly broad terms and conditions.

Last edited by Miggles; Nov 5, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by Darlox
Ok, so I am not a lawyer. And it was certainly not our intent to spur THIS discussion with this script. Though, I suppose given the nature of what led to it, it may have been inevitable...

That said, we are in the software business, and we have lawyers on-staff who do advise us on issues similar to this, as most of our work is in systems integration and data motion. So it's not entirely outside our experience.

User scripts have not been rigorously tested in case law, but what little exists has been entirely in favor of the script users. Prime examples are ad blockers, child/parental content controllers, and other such tools that selectively filter content based on a user's preferences -- even if those preferences violate what a site would like to have happen. (ie. Ad-supported websites hate ad blockers, but they have no legal standing to prevent their use.)

User scripts have never been found unlawful unless:
1) They distribute or relay information to some 3rd-party site or service not authorized to use the content.

or 2) They exist to exploit a material bug in a site, or to use the information for fraudulent purposes.

Website operators are free to block user agents as they see fit -- which many do, especially in the case of certain Internet Explorer versions that break some sites terribly. But as user scripts do no more, and no less, than what web browsers are already capable of -- and that some custom browsers provide by default -- there has not been an instance where their use could be considered an enforceable violation under any law. (Again, to our knowledge.)

Trying to block use of a user script like this would be precisely analogous to trying to block use of an Ad blocker. Sites may not like them, but thus far, there is nothing wrong with their use.

Anyhow... my opinion and $2.19 will get you a cup of coffee.
Equivalent to changing Color, Brightness, Audio (Volume, Separation 3/5.1, Equalizers) on your TV/ Monitor or change Browser, Screen, Font - size & resolution.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:07 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Darlox
[In a final note, most of us here have been moving most of our travel to AA, DL and AS for a variety of reasons irrelevant to this thread. We plan to keep all of our UA enhancement scripts up-to-date indefinitely, but please note that after 1/1/2014, updates and fixes may be considerably slower as UA and UA.com will not be nearly as large a part of our traveling lives. Please keep the feedback and bug reports coming in, and we'll fix them as quickly as we can!]
I would take issue with the first sentence of this note. While some of us have undoubtedly moved some, most or all of our travel to other airlines, that's no basis for assuming that everyone else has. And to state that after 1/1/2014 UA and UA.com will not be nearly as large as part of our traveling lives is inaccurate and not supportable unless you include a definition of "our".
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
I would take issue with the first sentence of this note. While some of us have undoubtedly moved some, most or all of our travel to other airlines, that's no basis for assuming that everyone else has. And to state that after 1/1/2014 UA and UA.com will not be nearly as large as part of our traveling lives is inaccurate and not supportable unless you include a definition of "our".
Sorry... this is not "we" with respect to FT. This is "we" with respect to my company. The recent changes airline-wide, but most prominently the difficulty in getting anything but an RJ out of our home airports, have us seeking greener pastures. So UA will not be a big part of _our_ traveling lives at least for calendar 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.