Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United award chart side by side w/ Delta and American charts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New United award chart side by side w/ Delta and American charts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, US Silver
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Now that Delta has instituted one-way awards and considering that UA requires more miles due to the partner "penalty", is Skymiles the better deal for low level business class award redemptions than MileagePlus?
At times, yes. But note these caveats :

1. DL charges YQ for Euro-originated itins (sometimes really high)

2. DL domestic award availability is hit-or-miss, so unless you live at the international gateway, you might find excellent flat beds on AF/AZ at saver prices and can't find the connecting flight to your home airport.

3. Many of DL's partners aren't exactly "aspirational".

I see some improved value in DL miles (like eastbound flights on VirginAtlantic), but I wouldn't be parking 200K miles in my DL account just for the off chance I'll need to visit London.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jetsetEWR
At times, yes. But note these caveats :

1. DL charges YQ for Euro-originated itins (sometimes really high)

2. DL domestic award availability is hit-or-miss, so unless you live at the international gateway, you might find excellent flat beds on AF/AZ at saver prices and can't find the connecting flight to your home airport.

3. Many of DL's partners aren't exactly "aspirational".

I see some improved value in DL miles (like eastbound flights on VirginAtlantic), but I wouldn't be parking 200K miles in my DL account just for the off chance I'll need to visit London.
I find that UA biz awards are a poor deal out of BOS. Flying across the Atlantic requires partners at the penalty level. DL does not do that. Same story to Africa and the Middle East. Even to Asia (ex Japan) DL is 10K less than UA, because UA will refuse to make its own metal available.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:52 pm
Suspended

I find that UA biz awards are a poor deal out of BOS. Flying across the Atlantic requires partners at the penalty level. DL does not do that. Same story to Africa and the Middle East. Even to Asia (ex Japan) DL is 10K less than UA, because UA will refuse to make its own metal available.
Asia is also 70K at UA metal (same price as DL). Whether UA makes their own metal is very subjective depending on routes and dates. But out of BOS, that means you MUST find Level 1 award to the gateway city (DTW, SEA etc) to head to Asia. If not, your award is anywhere between 90K (L2) and 162.5K (L5)

It really depends on whether you're miles rich or cash rich. The euro side YQ may more than offset the mileage differences.

There are pros and cons to both. I wouldn't necessarily say one is distinctly better than the other (if you're heading to SYD then definitely skymiles since VA has unlimited award seats)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Asia is also 70K at UA metal (same price as DL). Whether UA makes their own metal is very subjective depending on routes and dates. But out of BOS, that means you MUST find Level 1 award to the gateway city (DTW, SEA etc) to head to Asia. If not, your award is anywhere between 90K (L2) and 162.5K (L5)

It really depends on whether you're miles rich or cash rich. The euro side YQ may more than offset the mileage differences.

There are pros and cons to both. I wouldn't necessarily say one is distinctly better than the other (if you're heading to SYD then definitely skymiles since VA has unlimited award seats)
Of course, the best program out of BOS is Alaska MileagePlan: AA, AF, AM, AS, BA, CX, DL, EK...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Of course, the best program out of BOS is Alaska MileagePlan: AA, AF, AM, AS, BA, CX, DL, EK...
Actually I wouldn't touch AS's miles. They don't allow partner mixing, and don't allow awards between regions not explicitly published for that partner.

They're only good if you're very p2p focused type of awards.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Actually I wouldn't touch AS's miles. They don't allow partner mixing, and don't allow awards between regions not explicitly published for that partner.

They're only good if you're very p2p focused type of awards.
It works for me. AND they have the lowest amount of miles required for any destination. For instance, CX cannot be beat to Asia. Only 50k one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.