Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has United begun new aggressive StarNet Blocking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has United begun new aggressive StarNet Blocking?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just booked a J RT JFK-IST in May. There was reasonable availability on both TK and LH.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Anyone with access to KVS or ANA able to check, for example, on availability of I space on LH for SFO-FRA for a few days over the next 2-3 weeks so we can then compare that with what shows on ua.com?
I just spot checked about 5-6 days over the next two weeks both SFO-FRA and ORD-FRA and got identical results between ANA and ua.com. For example, both show first class available on LH for ORD-FRA on 11/11 and 11/12 (which I was surprised by, as it is on the 748 and is almost two weeks out...I would have guessed <7 days for that). About 4-5 other checks showed the same results.

I don't have access to KVS, so if we want another data point, someone else would need to check that.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
changes aside, have been issues for yrs...

I am a 1K on UA and have a place in YYG (Prince edward island, Canada) and in EWR. I use my UA miles to book flights with AC, since UA doesn't fly into YYG.

Every single time AC has more reward seats available than UA does. UA has told me that AC limits their access.

Could that be some of this problem?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by privacylawyer
Every single time AC has more reward seats available than UA does. UA has told me that AC limits their access.

Could that be some of this problem?
Most programs reserve space for their programs (UA does -- such as the difference between X and XN) . Hence the use of ANA as the touchstone, it reports (normally reliable) what is released to the partners.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Although its not LH, I booked this last night no problem. I forced the outbound with multi city and the return was just was UA site offered.

Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I actually think it is much more than StarNet blocking. My wife and I are looking for 2 C or F award seats to Europe for the later part of Sept. NOTHING seems to be available. Maybe with the new award schedule they will at least open some seats so that we can actually book premium class awards.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
This is typical for this time of year--it is unlikely you will find award seats for September of next year. I do not think UA is blocking any partner space right now--we are just faced with the crummy realization that UA has cut back on some saver space and partners also hold back space.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by deant
I actually think it is much more than StarNet blocking. My wife and I are looking for 2 C or F award seats to Europe for the later part of Sept. NOTHING seems to be available. Maybe with the new award schedule they will at least open some seats so that we can actually book premium class awards.
There is no such thing as StarNet blocking. End of story. What you're describing is called "a busy time of the year". UA doesn't release (or not release) other *A partner award availability. The operating airline releases the inventory and it is available to book by any *A partner airline customer. UA doesn't control its release.

And as for the earlier posters showing that they've been successful in booking *A award flights - this is normal. Happens every day, on a large scale. Apparently the highly alarmist tone of this thread and a couple of the posts herein may have concerned people.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by deant
I actually think it is much more than StarNet blocking. My wife and I are looking for 2 C or F award seats to Europe for the later part of Sept. NOTHING seems to be available. ....
Just booked last week an Aug trip and September trip SFO-Europe, all premium cabin.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
There is no such thing as StarNet blocking. End of story.
Really?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Really?
Yes. Do you believe otherwise?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
Yes. Do you believe otherwise?
For one to believe that StarNet blocking does not exist would require a wholesale suspension of reality.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
For one to believe that StarNet blocking does not exist would require a wholesale suspension of reality.
Does it require the same level of thinking as your theory that UA had targeted you personally to not receive upgrades last year?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: United
time to leave united, period
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Please, please show us some examples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.