Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United/IAM joint labor agreements ratified

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United/IAM joint labor agreements ratified

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:55 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by spin88

Thanks, very interesting. However, I just can't see the type of efficiencies in having one IAM work group as I can for pilots and FAs. Again, happy for the raises and new contact, but its impossible for me to believe that the extra pay (19% to 56% over next three years) will be matched by extra "efficiency".
Oh granted, it isn't a huge thing, but when we are talking a % here and a % there, they add up. Currently (al least at ORD) there is no UA "metal" or UA "routes" for the IAM groups. The IAM gave that away for free over a year ago instead of holding it as a niegotiating tool like the AFA and ALPA did in exchange for benefits on the contract. (And the main reason IMHO, that the contract is a PoS.)

But the entire work crew has to be (up until the new contract date next month) of the same subsiduary. Say they have the CO 757 from hell-300. There may be 3 people on that flight. If CO, which has far fewer people at ORD only have 2 available, they need to staff it wirh (3) UA bodies and no CO. Given the limited number of CO CSRs at ORD, this can be a schudling problem for them where they aren't efficient. It isnt like pilots or flight attendants, where it takes them hours to recrew, it is a matter of maybe 10-15 min, but it happens quite often, on the B concourse especially (where the majority of CO people are.) Plenty of times I have been assigned a trip, get to it and sign in, only to see a CO person there. I call the scheduling people and they either need to pull me off of the trip, and replace me with a CO agent (who may not be available as they are in short supply,) or pull them off the trip and replace them with UA CSRs.

Again, it's small, but the CO people aren't getting the "economy of scale" benefit with their labor pool at ORD as long as there are these restrictions.

We also have different work rules. a UA supervisor signs in and does the work of a UA CSR, it's going to be grieved (not allowed per the UA IAM contract, that work is protected under scope.) With the CO crews, their mgmt has the ability to sign in and work with them (although I haven't really seen it happen, they always seem to have full staffing on their flights...I think if CO is short, they just assign the trip to the UA agents and fill in with an extra body when necessary when one becomes available.)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764

Dispatchers (presently not unionized) are in joint contract negotiations as well.

You couldn't be more wrong. The UA dispatchers are represented by PAFCA and the CO dispatchers are represented by TWU. Apparently they are among the most contentious negotiations as PAFCA is in mediation with the NMB and application has been made by UA to take the TWU contract to mediation.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How many employees would be in those groups?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.